Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2014, 05:48 PM

Default Re: I can hear my mic, just not in ANY DAW!!! Just started happening... please help!!

Pro tools setup

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwd5a0ry75...04252.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e35uqxjpve...04312.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/13cuigwva1...04400.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x46tdr3xzd...04434.jpg?dl=0

loaded a previous session and all the input look like this now.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gcxbly0ssi...04611.jpg?dl=0
Old 10-31-2014, 05:56 PM

Default Re: I can hear my mic, just not in ANY DAW!!! Just started happening... please help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by popajoe View Post
i saw it were you show 44.1 that's it .

if you close out all daws can you hear it working ,if you can't have the mic check.

reson they have geing you some good advice so go see if your pc mode have udates for USB device's/ audio/ video/ frimware /win can't update dell mb they are manul installs you get them from dell .
Yes that was the thing I could hear it without anything open through the monitors. The problem is the actual capturing of the sound in daw
Old 10-31-2014, 06:07 PM

ok set default in pt on all i/o bus and inserts and uncheck session override then reboot and open pt and try .o make srur the os sound card has no checks on it uncheck all and check the one that's not you mbox

also you can do a system backup to a date before this happen.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:33 PM

Default I can hear my mic, just not in ANY DAW!!! Just started happening... please he...

Oh my indeed, who knows what is wrong with the mic, but there is enough else wrong with this PC that it is lucky it works at all. When I have more time and more alcohol I will write it up, in the meantime....

phantom power setting? test phantom voltage with voltmeter, test another mic, what happens when the gain is turned up?
Old 10-31-2014, 07:02 PM

EDIT: Hang on the play back engine dialog looks like Pro Tools express, the Mix window looks like Pro Tools HD. What have you done? What is the exact version of Pro Tools from the About... box... a detail you should have had in the first post.

You likely don't need to default IO, it looks OK.

But you are showing a session (with a Pro Tools HD mixer view) opened with *completely* different inputs assigned to tracks than you actually have. See 'em there? The buttons labeled "Input" on each track, how do you expect that to work? Why are you opening existing relatively complex sessions? Why are you not debugging stuff with the most trivial one track session? Slow down, take baby steps....

Open a blank new session, not a copy, not from a template.

Track>New, create a *mono* *audio* track.

Set the input button on that track to "analog Input 1" set the output of that track to "Main Output L/R". Does that work? do any other debugging with that session. Go reread my previous posts and do other things suggested there.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:05 PM

My mic I assume is fine... only because I can turn the gain on mbox up, mix knob all the way left and speak into the microphone I can hear myself loud and clear in the monitors. No Daw open at all.

Now capturing input into a daw is where my problem is...so maybe the mbox can monitor the signal but just can't capture or record it... maybe mbox is faulty it is second hand and used.... maybe it's on it's last leg.

Going to ask a friend to bring his mbox 2 over and see if we have the same problems... while we are at it may he can bring his mic too...

Again thanks everyone for your input and advice... I'm going to troubleshoot this until I figure it out.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April.nettles17 View Post
My mic I assume is fine... only because I can turn the gain on mbox up, mix knob all the way left and speak into the microphone I can hear myself loud and clear in the monitors. No Daw open at all.

Now capturing input into a daw is where my problem is...so maybe the mbox can monitor the signal but just can't capture or record it... maybe mbox is faulty it is second hand and used.... maybe it's on it's last leg.

Going to ask a friend to bring his mbox 2 over and see if we have the same problems... while we are at it may he can bring his mic too...

Again thanks everyone for your input and advice... I'm going to troubleshoot this until I figure it out.
Edit: sorry if you had said the hardware monitoring of the mic was loud and clear I must have missed it before, I had the impression it was there but not loud/clear. That or course makes all the phantom power and cable questions irrelevant/a waste of time.

But *NO* don't switch interface and drivers yet. Stay focused....

Yes, great the mic looks OK.

Your playback engine looks OK.

Your IO setup looks OK.

What is totally screwed up is the track IO assignments on the only session you have shown in a screen shot. So focus first on a new session with proper IO assignments. Post a screen shot of that session properly set up and lets move forward from there.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April.nettles17 View Post
AKG Perception 420 Condenser Mic
Mbox 3 mini driver version 1.1.7
ProTools 10HD
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @1.86GHz 1.86 GHz
Installed memory(RAM): 3.00GB
System type: 32-bit Operating System

SiSoftware Sandra

ID
Host Name : TryAngleStudios
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Computer
Model : Dell DXP061
Serial Number : 4CY****
Chassis : Dell Tower
Mainboard : Dell 0WG855
Serial Number : ..CN7082*********
BIOS : Dell 2.5.3 11/22/2007
Total Memory : 3GB DIMM DDR

Processors
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz (2C 1.86GHz, 2MB L2)
Socket/Slot : FC LGA775

Chipset
Memory Controller : Dell P965/G965 Memory Controller Hub 4x 266MHz (1GHz), 3GB DIMM DDR 532MHz

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Samsung M3 78T6553CZ3-CD5 512MB DIMM DDR2 PC2-4300U DDR2-534 (4-4-4-11 2-15-4-2)
Memory Module : Kingston 1GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-5300U DDR2-666 (5-5-5-15 3-20-5-3)
Memory Module : Samsung M3 78T6553CZ3-CD5 512MB DIMM DDR2 PC2-4300U DDR2-534 (4-4-4-11 2-15-4-2)
Memory Module : Kingston 1GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-5300U DDR2-666 (5-5-5-15 3-20-5-3)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Samsung SyncMaster
(1680x1050, 21.0")
Monitor/Panel : Samsung SyncMaster
(1680x1050, 22.0")
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 210 (3CU 16SP SM4.1 1.1GHz, 1GB DDR2 702MHz 128-bit, PCIe 2.00 x16)
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 210 (3CU 16SP SM4.1 1.1GHz, 1GB DDR2 702MHz 128-bit, PCIe 2.00 x16)

Graphics Processor
OpenCL GP Processor : GeForce 210 (24SP 3C 1.1GHz, 1GB DDR2 702MHz 128-bit)
Compute Shader Processor : NVIDIA GeForce 210 (16SP 3C 1.1GHz, 1GB DDR2 702MHz 128-bit)
CUDA GP Processor : GeForce 210 (24SP 3C 1.1GHz, 1GB DDR2 702MHz 128-bit)

Storage Devices
WDC WD2500JS-75NCB3 (250GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache) : 233GB (C:)
TEAC USB HS-CF Card (USB2) : N/A (H:)
TEAC USB HS-xD/SM (USB2) : N/A (I:)
TEAC USB HS-MS Card (USB2) : N/A (J:)
TEAC USB HS-SD Card (USB2) : N/A (G:)
Memorex DVD+-RAM 550L v1 (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (D:)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 228GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD2500JS-75NCB3 (250GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache)
Removable Drive (H:) : N/A @ TEAC USB HS-CF Card (USB2)
Removable Drive (I:) : N/A @ TEAC USB HS-xD/SM (USB2)
Removable Drive (J:) : N/A @ TEAC USB HS-MS Card (USB2)
Removable Drive (G:) : N/A @ TEAC USB HS-SD Card (USB2)
Optical Drive (D:) : N/A @ Memorex DVD+-RAM 550L v1 (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : Intel 82801HH (ICH8DH) LPC Interface Controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : SMSC SCH5514D-NS
Audio Device : Dell 82801H (ICH8) HD Audio Controller
Audio Device : nVidia High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Codec : nVidia 000A
Disk Controller : Dell ICH8R (ICH8) SATA RAID Controller
USB Controller 1 : Dell 82801H (ICH8) USB UHCI #4
USB Controller 2 : Dell 82801H (ICH8) USB UHCI #5
USB Controller 3 : Dell 82801H (ICH8) USB2 EHCI #2
USB Controller 4 : Dell 82801H (ICH8) USB UHCI #1
USB Controller 5 : Dell 82801H (ICH8) USB UHCI #2
USB Controller 6 : Dell 82801H (ICH8) USB UHCI #3
USB Controller 7 : Dell 82801H (ICH8) USB2 EHCI #1
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel ICH SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)
Printer : Canon Inkjet MP240 series (600x600, USB, Colour)

Peripherals

Network Services
Network Adapter : Intel(R) 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection (Ethernet)
Network Adapter : XCETAP0 Adapter (Ethernet)
Wireless Adapter : NETGEAR WNDA3100v2 N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter (802.11n (HT), AES-CCMP, 117Mbps)

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Home 6.01.7601 (Service Pack 1)
Platform Compliance : x86

Windows Experience Index
Current System : 4.7
Several problematic things here.. they won't be causing your present issue, but they may bite you in future...

Intel 2 Core Duo.
-------------------

Umm, an underspec processor. Pro Tools can work on a core 2 Duo, if rolling down hill with a tail wind... But it is very restricted on what plugins you can run. ideally you really want to be on a quad core or better i7. That is an ~order of magnitude or so more powerful. Based on that, if you plan on doing much in pro Tools, especially running many plugins or worse many VIs then you may be needing a significantly faster computer in future. If you just want to record a few audio tracks, you may be able to get away with it (but fix the memory and disk issues below).

Your playback engine setting for this dual core/non-hyperthreaded processor should be set to 1 (not the 2 you have it set to now) to leave a full processor core for Pro Tools itself to operate on (and one for plugins).

Memory
---------

You have ony 3 GB or memory. (what Pro Tools version do you have?) yes Avid claims Express can run in 2GB, but folks here will roll around laughing with that. You want at at least 4 GB (but a lot much more won't help you until you get to 64-bit Pro Tools 11).

And as already pointed out you have DIMMs with different timing specs and from different vendors (even with identical timing, its better to be from the same vendor). The different size is OK becuase you have the pairs matched and the two memory channels on the Core 2 Duo. But everything else is not good. If you have to live with this processor, go buy some new DIMMs, and get DIMMs spec'ed by the system or motherboard vendor.

Disk
-----

There is only one HDD. You should have a dedicated 7,200 rpm or faster HDD or good SSD for audio/session. Yes, even if Avid don't insist on this for Pro Tools Express (they do for all other versions of Pro Tools).

And your current system drive is a WDC Caviar Blue, that is OK, but if buying a audio/session HDD at least buy a WDC Caviar Black (that will cost you a massive $70 or so if you have a spare internal SATA slot). Even better by a SSD like a Samsung 840 Evo.

Other
------

You show a Netgear WiFi, that should be disabled as a part of systems optimization (you may have already done that).
Old 10-31-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popajoe View Post
i saw it were you show 44.1 that's it .

if you close out all daws can you hear it working ,if you can't have the mic check.

reson they have geing you some good advice so go see if your pc mode have udates for USB device's/ audio/ video/ frimware /win can't update dell mb they are manul installs you get them from dell .
The grammar in every one of your posts here is pretty hard to follow , and I appreciate you are trying to help the user, but much of the advice you have offered seems confused or redundant and risks sending the already struggling user off into the weeds.

If the interface plays output from Pro Tools, as the user already reported when they have other content into a session, then the session/interface sample rate is already known to be OK. Nothing needs to be changed there. And firmware and other things are not worth worrying about either... we know the basic interface is working.

As the user already pointed out (and most of us already got... which is why we are talking about just the mix knob). The Mbox mini does not have a control panel mixer.

And the user has a condenser mic, but they won't hurt any other dynamic mic if they happened to connect it to phantom power. Some ribbon mics might be sensitive to phantom power, many are not, but yes, it is better to be safe than sorry when dealing with ribbon mics (but that is not what the user has here).
Old 11-01-2014, 05:34 AM

sorry about that confusion but it's not the knob that i was looking for but missing diver same ? they were asking but looking for a difference reason. a virus was in the report of this pc and you know what that means some things can be taken out but show up in device manager as yellow fags or not . some ? i ask was before the Sandra report so i ask for to see somethings one of them you are referring to came from my ?ing .But it look like they lost the onbord audio that would keep it from opening in the daws if defaulting the I/O's did not work.

like in the OS sound card i am look for a working audio diver on the OS other than the min mbox if you deactivate the min and there's no green diver showing up that means a lost of on board audio . if that's the case the OS will lock on to it until that fix's
it may mean reinstalling the OS in my opinion if it's a laptop it may need to be repaired or replace if it's a desk top look for audio cable connections at rear of PC make srure it's connected to working speaker

Last edited by popajoe; 11-01-2014 at 10:07 AM.