Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2014, 03:50 PM

Default Edit window: Ctrl click on Vol window changes to PK and DLY?

I'm still learning that when I want to use the Ctrl key to make a fine tune adjustment to the Volume of a track in the Edit Window that I have to click the volume first and then select the Ctrl key.

If I select the Ctrl key before clicking on the Volume window it seems to change the window to display either a "PK" or a "DLY" value.

Here's my question; is there any risk of changing the PK or DLY value inadvertently when I make this mistake or is it a view only situation?

I stumble my way back to the Volume parameter and make my adjustment but I worry that I may have made an adjustment while not recognizing that I have done so.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Edit window: Ctrl click on Vol window changes to PK and DLY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
I'm still learning that when I want to use the Ctrl key to make a fine tune adjustment to the Volume of a track in the Edit Window that I have to click the volume first and then select the Ctrl key.

If I select the Ctrl key before clicking on the Volume window it seems to change the window to display either a "PK" or a "DLY" value.
Ctrl+Click & Drag on the actual fader for fine adjustment, and not the value field at the bottom. The value field at the bottom of a fader in the Mix window doesn't receive any user input, hence nothing can inadvertently change.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-27-2014, 05:47 PM

The fader graphic, or gui element only pops up if you click on the window we are speaking of.

When I select the Ctrl key before clicking on that window the parameter in the Volume window swaps to a Pk (peak?) or Dly (delay compensation) parameter.

Yes, if I mistakenly change the parameter to Pk or Dly then a fader does not appear.

If you do this during playback, you may notice that the Pk value may vary, and so my reaction was to think perhaps I was changing it.

I think they are just read only windows, as you suggest, but I am asking to be sure.

I'm learning slowly.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
The fader graphic, or gui element only pops up if you click on the window we are speaking of.

When I select the Ctrl key before clicking on that window the parameter in the Volume window swaps to a Pk (peak?) or Dly (delay compensation) parameter.

Yes, if I mistakenly change the parameter to Pk or Dly then a fader does not appear.

If you do this during playback, you may notice that the Pk value may vary, and so my reaction was to think perhaps I was changing it.

I think they are just read only windows, as you suggest, but I am asking to be sure.

I'm learning slowly.
I misunderstood and thought you were referring to the Mix window(corrected my post above for any future readers). The behavior you've described in the Edit window is working as designed and the other two parameters are data only.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-30-2014, 02:38 PM

I figured out where my "bad habit" is coming from.

I've been working a lot with grouped drum tracks.

With groups, if you want to change the volume in just one track of the group you need to hit the "Windows" key before you click on the volume.

So sometimes I am clicking on the volume first and then keying ctrl and sometimes I am keying Windows and then clicking on the volume.

Now that I realize why I am making the mistake I have a good chance of correcting it and getting in the habit of doing what I need to do.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:16 PM

Good to hear you have it worked out.

Shane