Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2003, 05:46 PM

Default Digibase sloooooowwww

Don't get me wrong, I think Digibase is the coolest new feature in ProTools for a long long time, especially for us sound effects editors that don't have a database like mTools, Soundminer etc.

That said, why is Digibase so slow on network drives? Sometimes it takes 5 to 10 seconds just to open a folder, with no indication that it is doing anything in the meantime (which makes you think that you missed a mouse click or something).

Is there any way to speed this up? I don't know all the details of our network sound effects drives but I do know that I can search them with other utilities (like a demo of Soundminer that I tested) and they are lightning fast.

Local drive interaction is decent, but still not as fast as it should be.

Anyone else out there having similar troubles?
Old 03-11-2003, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Digibase sloooooowwww

Please describe the network drives. Platform, network speed etc.

Also, you could try "Update Index" for the network drive before trying to browse it.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:11 PM

I've got a little more info on our network (more forthcoming).

We're using a 100Base-T Fast Ethernet on an Appletalk network. There are 4 17GB drive partitions and 1 34GB drive.

I have indexed and created catalogs for all the drives, but it can still take more than 20 seconds to just open a folder in the Workspace browser. Even after the folder is open, I can't scroll through the list - it take 30 seconds or more to refresh the screen.

Searching is even slower. Minutes go by with no results, apart from material that is on local drives.

AB
Old 03-17-2003, 07:07 PM

I've got some SFX on a network drive with gigabit ethernet connecting the two, and it does seem to take a while to get the browser to open a folder of audio files. Not ALL the tme, but frequently. Once everything has been indexed, it seems it should open MUCH faster.

With that said, I find, again, frequently, that files dragged from the browser to the edit window sometimes don't copy/refrence/convert, and I have to force quit PT and re-launch(Thank GOD for X.. Under 9, I'd have to re-start).

I think Digibase has a TON of potential, and I hope it reaches maturity fast!