Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-17-2013, 12:08 AM

Default play back problems with protools 9 and tascam fw 1884

hi, i have pro tools 9 hd runing in a mac pro intel xeon, i use to have a digi factory 002 but now i using a Tascam fw-1884, i'm getting signal in the computer fine, record it, i even can hear my guitar and keyboard plugged in the interface in the monitors, but i cant hear any playback, not form PT and in general from the computer, iTunes and Quick Time, in the play back engine all looks fine, it recognice the tascam hardware, faders and controls work fine, it also looks everything ok in the I/O setting, but i just cant ear any play back in the monitors conected to the tascam, i also verify the machine sound settings, and again, doesn't seem to have any problems recognising the tascam, but stil is not working... i allready spend several days searching in forums, youtube and stuff unsuccesfully, really hope some one here can help me, thanks for advance.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:34 AM

Default Re: play back problems with protools 9 and tascam fw 1884

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrastestudio View Post
hi, i have pro tools 9 hd runing in a mac pro intel xeon, i use to have a digi factory 002 but now i using a Tascam fw-1884, i'm getting signal in the computer fine, record it, i even can hear my guitar and keyboard plugged in the interface in the monitors, but i cant hear any playback, not form PT and in general from the computer, iTunes and Quick Time, in the play back engine all looks fine, it recognice the tascam hardware, faders and controls work fine, it also looks everything ok in the I/O setting, but i just cant ear any play back in the monitors conected to the tascam, i also verify the machine sound settings, and again, doesn't seem to have any problems recognising the tascam, but stil is not working... i allready spend several days searching in forums, youtube and stuff unsuccesfully, really hope some one here can help me, thanks for advance.
Hi,

Quick checklist...

got the latest drivers? (Don't think they are compatible with Mountain Lion!!)

Is it showing in the AMS as an interface on its own? (Not as part of an aggregate device!)

Load pro tools holding N key and in the playback engine select the Tascam as the audio engine / interface (Again NOT as an aggregate device, but as the Tascam on its own)

In the AMS, select the tascam and at the bottom of the page there's a small COG where you select its inputs and outputs, make sure the tascam is set for "use this device for sound input" and "Use this devise for sound output"

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:11 PM

Thanks a lot chris, here is where i am right now.

01.-i got the latest driver adviable in the tascam website. It says is for snow leopard witch is my OS.

02.- in the AMS is shown as an interface on his own with a firewire yellow icon, it is also shown under aggregate devices.

03.- did open pro tools holding N key and select tascam as playback engine.

04.- in the AMS the tascam is selected as input and output device, but still theres nothing coming out of my monitors...

05.- i also try the "configure speakers" option but i got nothing.

Here is what else i been doing: Select the built in line out of the mac, as play back device, plug the line out to my mixer and the monitors to the mixer, not an eleganto solution i know, but at least a get sound and it let me work with midi instruments, the problem is that this way, pro tools don't recognice the tascam imputs to record a mic, so im in the hole again, i can record but dont play back, or get play back troug the built in line out, but cant record... Hope you can help me, and tanks again.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrastestudio View Post
Thanks a lot chris, here is where i am right now.

01.-i got the latest driver adviable in the tascam website. It says is for snow leopard witch is my OS.

02.- in the AMS is shown as an interface on his own with a firewire yellow icon, it is also shown under aggregate devices.

03.- did open pro tools holding N key and select tascam as playback engine.

04.- in the AMS the tascam is selected as input and output device, but still theres nothing coming out of my monitors...

Hi,

So all looks correct up to 04.

There should be a control panel for the Tascam firewire. in this control panel you can select frequency, bit rate etc and also clocking source and from memory which inputs are assigned. this control panel could be in the applications folder or utilities folder? i can't remember exactly as mine is in the dock now! but see if you have this control panel installed. and make sure all setting are matched between this and the AMS and pro tools.

the other thing is the hardware setup page in pro tools. make sure all the inputs and outputs are assigned to the appropriate analogue inputs and outputs on the tascam.

then the i/o setup page! make sure you have created inputs and output paths and they are assigned to the correct i/o on the tascam.

it should work fine. my tascam i use for mac audio but i can assign it to pro tools. it can be a bit complex having so many control panels effecting it. but it should be doable.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:58 PM

Thank you very much Chris, all you mention is ok, i kinda find a solution, is working fine so far, here is what i did:

In the AMS (with the TASCAM selected for input and output audio device) in the "speakers configuration" section, instead of selecting "analog output 1" for the left and "analog output 2" for the right, i select outputs 3 y 4, and of course, plug the monitor on to it, and it miraculously i got sound, (i wander if the hardware have some damage), but is working now.

Thanks again, your comments were very helpful, since i found the "speaker configuration" walking through your original check list, also hope this helps somebody else.