Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Avid

Lightbulb iPhone & VNC

Hi everyone,

Here's a topic that's come up from a few users that's worth making the larger audience aware of.

For all you lucky iPhone owners out there there's a free app called "Mocha" available that allows you use the iPhone's built in WiFi capabilities to control a VENUE system via VNC (using the ECx control software), just as you would using a laptop or tablet PC. It may not be the most practical, but it sure looks cool to be tweaking GEQs or plug-ins on your iPhone.

Now the official word...
This is a completely untested and unsupported means of controlling the console, so use it at your own risk. The only qualified VNC clients are those that are included with the ECx software. Oh, and with all the iPhones sure to be in the audience now make sure you lock down the security settings on your WiFi access point!

Sheldon
Old 07-23-2008, 08:58 PM

Great sheldon,

I was going to try that soon. I've had the iphone for a while and have been wondering about it.

If any one has a chance to try this before I do, I have installed in my iphone the VNC software called TouchPad Pro. If anyone wants to try that, please post here with results.

thx
Gil
Old 07-24-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilparente View Post
Great sheldon,

I was going to try that soon. I've had the iphone for a while and have been wondering about it.

If any one has a chance to try this before I do, I have installed in my iphone the VNC software called TouchPad Pro. If anyone wants to try that, please post here with results.

thx
Gil
I run my profile with my Iphone. It works pretty good.
I`m using Mocha VNC lite
Old 07-27-2008, 11:04 AM

So how does the standalone software look? Can mocha scale down the software to something that fits the screen? Is that too small? Or do you just scroll around the window until you get to the fader/eq/etc that you want?

I've definitely considered this.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:58 AM

Default Re: iPhone & VNC

hey sheldon,
i have been using the vnc lite free i phone software for a month or so now. It works great a little lag no much different from my tablet. comes in handy for EQ's front fills and delay systems. you can zoom in like all iphone software and can get around easy on the vnc software. it is a very useful tool.

Sean Quackenbush
Robert Randolph & The Family Band F.O.H
Old 09-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaudio View Post
hey sheldon,
i have been using the vnc lite free i phone software for a month or so now. It works great a little lag no much different from my tablet. comes in handy for EQ's front fills and delay systems. you can zoom in like all iphone software and can get around easy on the vnc software. it is a very useful tool.

Sean Quackenbush
Robert Randolph & The Family Band F.O.H
Thanks for posting this, Sean! I've been waiting for some more positive feedback on using VNC lite before I tried it. Are you using a 1st generation phone or 3G?

Separately, I often plug my iphone in to our Venue for ipod playback, and with the limited battery life the 3G phones have, I've wondered if plugging a USB cable into the Venue for charging purpsoses only would cause any problems with the D-Show software? Does anyone have any experience to this end?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 AM

I have never had a issue using my venue to charge my IPOD or Iphone. Also I have been using a 2g iphone to control my console. However, I just got a 3g so I will try that tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:16 AM

i am using first gen. iphone , but i also use the remote function( free on i phone) to drive the itunes in my pro tools machine. so all my music play back comes off the pro tools machine , in to the profile foh rack. so controlling walk in, walk out music can all be control from the phone .
sean quackenbush
Robert Randolph & The Family Band
Old 09-08-2008, 10:40 AM

Awesome. Thanks, guys. I'm looking forward to trying VNC lite this afternoon.