Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-24-2001, 07:27 PM

Default Why should I buy a PC????

I'm getting ready to buy Digi001. Should I buy a Mac or PC? Everybody tells me how easy and nice the Mac is, I just need some advice. THanks.
Old 07-25-2001, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Why should I buy a PC????

It really does not matter. Just stick closely to the Digidesign spec for an optimum system and you'll be fine. Trust me on this board everyone will say PC is best and on the MAC board they'll say Mac. Don't let the Mac guys snow you they have plenty of issues with midi and oms and operating systems. My point is go with what you can afford and just follow the Digidesign recommendations and you'll be fine. I do recommend 2 hard drives, plenty of Ram and dedicate the machine to music use and you'll be fine.

Just my .02

Bob
Old 07-25-2001, 06:04 AM

Hi,

"Why should I buy a PC?"

Because it is extremely cheap (Athlon) and perform 4 times better than G4 400Mhz and it will probably perform twice as good as the new ones. If you do not want to build it yourself there are DAW companies out there who can do that for you. They are cheap as well. With the price difference you can buy nicer mikes, a sampler, a presonus Digimax etc...
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz
Old 07-25-2001, 06:27 AM

It depends on what else you want to do, really. If all you want is ProTools LE to work, then it probably doesn't matter. If you start adding in other hardware and software, look around and see what compatibility issues may creep in. Sometimes things work only on one system or another, sometimes there are compatibility issues on the Mac that aren't on the PC and vice versa.

For instance, I have an OASYS PCI and PTLE...they work, but I have problems shutting PTLE and the computer down when I'm done. People using a Mac don't have this problem.

Research before you plunk down your cash and you'll be a lot happier. Be willing to sink a few hundred dollars extra up front for a system known to work.
Old 07-25-2001, 10:29 AM

What's your budget?
What kind of performance are you expecting from PTLE?

You can do your own investigation and will find the following facts.

1. PTLE on PC is now very stable...No Platform wars anymore
2. PCs suitable for PTLE cost as little as $1100...MACs are 2.5 times that price.
3. PCs outperform any MAC at the same price point i.e. spend $3000 on a MAC or a PC (especially an ATHLON) and you will get much greater performance on the PC.

We PC users have always been diplomatic towards our MAC user bretheren, but the price /performance facts should help you make up your own mind. If you have a budget in mind, you can buy a lot of nice gear such as mics and preamps with the money you saved by buying a PC.

I bought my machine from a DAW builder. I spent $2500 for a machine that can do all 24 tracks, 140 plugins, plus 4 aux channels in the famous DAVEC torture test. Look it up on the MAC and PC forums and see how each hold up.
Old 07-25-2001, 01:12 PM

Why PC?
-------
1) Cheaper = Extra money equals extra equipment such as good mics.
2) Better Performance = AMDs provide the BEST results as far as posted here and they're really cheap. More plugins gives you more ability without workarounds.
3) PCs are still the leading computers.
You can install Win2k & Win98/ME for seperating your "work" computer from "audio" computer. add Linux or other stuff enjoy PC advantage of larger software support.

Why Mac?
--------
1) Less problems. In the mac case you simply do what's written on the manual and it's working no pc-tech experience like on PC.
(Keep in mind: There is planty of DAW PCs resellers that gives you a computer with everything running so this is actually not a problem and still with the price they charge for their work you still pay much less than on mac.
2) Features: Pro Tools started on Mac.
They still like the mac people a bit more than us [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].
Most studios use Macs so the session portability is better.
Features you'll lose:
- Quicktime import>Integration with movies. still no pc support.
- More plugins: Lotsa plugins missing on PC.
Today you got the Waves and Bomb Factory that supported PC RTAS at start so you have a nice amount of plugins. However, new plugins like Soft SampleCell version or Orange Vocoder is only for Mac.
Also DirectConnect... (Gives you direct connection with softsytnhs) no PC support.

If you have money... I support the Mac but what can I say Mac is limiting, expansive and gives in avarage same results as PCs.
If you come from TDM mac studios the mac enviorment is more local just keep that in mind.

Good luck...
Old 07-26-2001, 05:04 AM

Thanks for the input! That really helps.
Old 07-26-2001, 05:56 AM

I don't think that mac's necessarily have less problems,there are plenty of entries in this forum from mac users with problems.The difference between the two platforms is minimal now(performance wise). Digidesign tends to favor mac's though.........more plug-in compatability.They seem to be stuck in the past when pc's weren't very stable.That's all changed but digidesign hasn't caught up yet!
I use pc with absolutely no problems(for a year now)but get pissed off with digidesign not supplying plug-in support like direct connect.

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro
Old 07-26-2001, 06:46 AM

If you'll look on the Mac Forums of PTLE you'll find there is less problems.
They do have the same amount of how to do that and how to fix that but you won't here stuff like I've installed my PTLE and each time I run it the computer freeze/reboot or etc... or the H/W Buffer Size problem.
Mac problems are more with plugins / directconnect or any additional stuff which isn't directly concerning PTLE.
Old 07-26-2001, 01:25 PM

I built a P3 1Gig with 7200rpm drives and 256ram for 800.00 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]