Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-02-2001, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Why should I buy a PC????

Actually I look at it now and I think I was a little harsh on those Macsters. Sorry guys.
Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2001, 11:48 AM

>They are still putting 5400rpm drives in >the new G4s

On the low end, yes. And so are Dell and the other PC manufacturers. So I guess all the other companies are "snowing" their customers as well.

>and aren't able to do anything else but use >their machines for audio production.

What are you, nuts? You can do tons of stuff on the mac. Aside from a couple games, I can't think of anything I can't do on Mac.

<mac problems deleted>

What's your point? People have problems on all platforms. But tons of people run with little or no problems on all platforms as well. Should I quote some of the many PC problems to show "how bad PC's are"?

Here's a report you didn't quote:

"I ordered the 867 from apple last monday, got it on friday, and was up and running in PT LE the next day. Get the 867 it does the job nicely and makes the whole experience much more seemless and snappy. What made my G4 400 choke takes about a third of available resources on the 867. An upgrade worth the money for sure. and with Toast platinum you have a DVD-r backup solution as well."

Yeah, sure sounds hard to work with.

>PC is so much easier to work with, don't you agree?

Sure, if you've only used a PC.

>I guess its perference.

Bingo.

>For 3500.00 I would have expected a lot >more performance, more stability and a lot >fewer problems. That was only three days of >posting.

>my 733 I was able to get 113 plugs

For Apple's low-end machine, I don't think that's anything to sneeze at. How can you be disappointed with "performance" on the $3500 machine, nobody's even posted performance results with the 877's that I've seen.

My biggest complaint about the Mac is that PT doesn't support MP or altivec yet, but that's Digi's fault...

Mike

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: mike connelly ]
Old 08-02-2001, 01:35 PM

Thanks Mike,
Balance is good here. Hea hea.
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Allen
Old 08-02-2001, 04:13 PM

I own both mac and a pc, and use pc at work.
At home i have a G3 overclocked to 535mhz w/ 001. Apple just released the new line of "quicksilver" G4. www.apple.com. These machines are very nice, and expensive...which means last years lines prices are dropping. I was once a pc guy, but decided to go mac. Yes...i am very happy.
Every computer platform has it inherent problems, this is a fact that cannot be denied. My mac has the hiccup every one in anwhile, but whenever i have a problem i am up and running usally within 1 reboot.
AMD thunderbirds are breaking the performance barrier, and the cpu heat barrier too. I check the this pc board, i see lots of people talking about chipsets, bios, heat errors on their AMD that run @ 160
degrees F.
The main question you need to ask yourself is HOW familiar are you w/ Mac and macs OS?
Likewise w/ Wintel machines and windoze?
If you are familiar w/ both, which are you more comfortable w/?
Yes...i am bias.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
200 plus plugins sounds great on 24 tracks, i hope you will never need that many plugs,
or at least 200 digi 4 band eqs.
My roommate has a P3 700, he has PT free on it but has to run it at the highest buffer setting to avoid MOST of the pops and crackles. He had 2 pc gurus take a look at it, optimized it, and my G3 still runs circles around it. I can rip files faster, i can render audio files w/ plugins about 3 times as fast, i can use more "hardware" on REASON w/o pops and crackles than he, and less latency.
Just do not make any hasty decisions.

rock
sdf

sugarhillstudios.com
Old 08-02-2001, 04:55 PM

Hey SDF,
I think we are figuring out the heat issues here with the new Athlons. Haven't seen any problems with the newer configurations, but those early GA-7DX motherboard users were definetely seeing them. Found out that it comes down to a couple of things:
1. Using the correct Power Supply- need at least 300W-400W for the new AMD1.3Ghz+ and check to make sure they are AMD recommended for that size processor.

2. Using an AMD approved fan/heatsink unit for the correct processor. Seems like the Volcano II is doing a great job of cooling (between 42-46C at high stress) with a lower noise 29-31db than some of the heavier louder fans. Alternative is watercooling like I did with almost silent system.

3. Case design - Need to stay away from those small case designs and have case fans installed correctly for maximum air flow through case. Mac Cubes have vents in the top of the case and very little fan action. Amazing heat dissipation although they sure seem hotter than heck.

Just a thought.
Allen
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2001, 05:37 PM

Allen, thanks for the info, however it is of no use to me [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , but mr. room would have liked to have known this prior to any PC purchases.
ps..how much is that liquid cooled system, it sounds kinda scary...please post a link.
thanks

sdf

sugarhillstudios.com
Old 08-02-2001, 09:21 PM

Low End System:185.00 300watt water cooled PSU
High End System:225.00 300watt Fan Cooled Sparkle Power Supply

Any thing new is scary! My dad still thinks that computers are scary. It is a very simple setup and a very clean looking case. Great reviews at:
http://hardocp.com/reviews/cooling/koolance/
http://www.amdsource.com/reviews/sho...w_id=35&page=1

Got one bad review from a company that setup the low end system for a high end AMD processor. The company recommends sticking with the high end fan cooled Sparkle power supply unit for AMD 1.2Ghz+ processors. I'm only using the CPU cooler also and I'm not trying to cool the entire case ie. hard drives, chipset, powersupply, video that is available. I don't think any water cooled system is setup to handle that much heat and it doesn't make sense to take water from a hot processor and dump it across the chipset and video card before returning to the radiator. So far this case is great for my 1.33Ghz Athlon and my small room.

Company home page: www.koolance.com

Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: Allen Hallada ]
Old 08-02-2001, 09:42 PM

Just found a newer article on a Koolance that was developed for recording audio.
http://www.overclockers.com/articles369/index09.asp

Enjoy [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Allen
Old 08-03-2001, 04:45 AM

the great thing about being able to get 120, 150 or 200 plugs is that there's so much headroom you eliminate the need for low latency monitoring by keeping the buffer at 128. i wish it could go smaller......
Old 08-03-2001, 10:39 AM

PC protools sucks, you can't even load a movie in and do post production (one of the main uses for pro tools). Most of the problems about mac systems posted here are pebkac (problem exists between keyboard and chair) if people learned more about the machines they use it wouldn't take 4 hours to figure out how to disable virtual memory. I am extremely dissapointed with my pc protools (have both mac and pc), yeah it runs good now but without the ability to do post, I'm going to get Nuendo. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]