Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 01-29-2011, 05:32 AM

Default Pro Tools 10 looks great!!!

Avid have said the major changes and additions in PT9 were a direct result of feature requests in the Pro Tools Feedback Community. I think Avid has also said the Pro Tools Feedback Community is now fundamental to the development process of PT.

So... I'm looking at the most popular feature requests and wondering if this is what Pro Tools 10 is going to look like!!

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/idea...nFilter=active

Looks good to me although I'm surprised to see improved RTAS VI performance isn't higher up the list.

One thought though, if the Pro Tools Feedback Community is significant in driving PT development, isn't this giving a heads up to the competition as to what will be in the next PT version?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 looks great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Avid have said the major changes and additions in PT9 were a direct result of feature requests in the Pro Tools Feedback Community. I think Avid has also said the Pro Tools Feedback Community is now fundamental to the development process of PT.

So... I'm looking at the most popular feature requests and wondering if this is what Pro Tools 10 is going to look like!!

Looks good to me although I'm surprised to see improved RTAS VI performance isn't higher up the list.

One thought though, if the Pro Tools Feedback Community is significant in driving PT development, isn't this giving a heads up to the competition as to what will be in the next PT version?
Yeah, I think that site is very cool and shows that AVID is really looking to better the product for it's users. Regarding the competition, several of the main request already exist in other DAW's and several that don't are specific to Pro Tools, so no worries there.

My take on the VI performance, RTAS processing plugins work fine so I'm not sure what can be done to make the VI format as efficient as VST. Can anybody verify that VST VI wrappers in PT work better than the RTAS version of the same plugin? If that is true... PT now has full ASIO support... VST already works great... See where I'm going? Maybe allowing full VST support would solve the VI issue many of us have. RTAS processing plugins work fine, leave it alone and allow VST support being that every major VI supports both formats.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post

I would B perfectly happy if PT 9.1 would be relieved of the bug-weight it carries in form of all the Protools 6,7, & 8 Bugs STILL lurking inside V9.

It is 2011 and the region list still CANNOT sort 10 after 9 but puts it in front of 1...

That is the intelligence level of an infant....

Personally, I think going from PT8.1 to 9.0 is proof of weakness. Seems as if AVIDS CEO has become infected with Steve Jobs'session....
In a professional world,,,, WHO GIVES A SHID ABOUT the version Number. Latter should be an indicator of IMPROVEMENT and not means of marketing.
PfuIIIIIIIIIII
Old 01-29-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
I would B perfectly happy if PT 9.1 would be relieved of the bug-weight it carries in form of all the Protools 6,7, & 8 Bugs STILL lurking inside V9.
+1
Old 01-29-2011, 11:18 AM

#1 1039 votes - Freeze track feature

#2 569 votes - Print to track option

#4 497 votes - Pro Tools 64-bit Application

Am I the only one who sees the dichotomy of the #1 feature request having nearly twice as many votes as the #2 feature?

Especially when it and the #2 option, which, while #1 and #2 are quite useful, would not positively impact as many users as would #4, converting PT to 64-bit.

Kinda makes you wonder if some "book cooking" might have gone on somewhere along the way...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-29-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
....while #1 and #2 are quite useful, would not positively impact as many users as would #4, converting PT to 64-bit.
I don't want to spark yet another 64bit debate (unless everyone wants to of course), but, and I've said this a few times here too;
Professional producers and engineers have been "stuck" in the 32bit world of music making for a long time now, and we've all enjoyed some great music as a result.
So I for one don't think the lack of 64bit is too big a deal.
"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:52 AM

Personally, I go back and forth between PT and Logic and I don't ever use track freeze, but I understand why some users like it.
In order to understand what kind of impact 64-bit has, check this out:

http://www.nedwebserver.com/ned-web/...7c50v112r29975

- I feel that this by far outweighs the importance of freezing tracks, since it in many ways takes care of the need for it, with benefits:
- saves the time of sitting through the freeze process (it's not instant).
- if you need to make changes on a track, it's quicker vs. un-freezing and re-freezing
Old 01-29-2011, 12:18 PM

I'm having trouble with that link Kobra - and I have everything installed.....
anyone else?
"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
I don't want to spark yet another 64bit debate (unless everyone wants to of course), but, and I've said this a few times here too;
Professional producers and engineers have been "stuck" in the 32bit world of music making for a long time now, and we've all enjoyed some great music as a result.
So I for one don't think the lack of 64bit is too big a deal.
With the amount of memory VI's like EWQL, Trilian, Omnisphere, Structure and Komplete 7 use, a lot of RAM is essential and therefore a big deal for some producers. Pro studios still use 32bit for compatibility reasons due to many plugin companies lagging behind, not because 32bit is preferred. For those in this situation, they are not going to take a risk moving to 64bit when so many of their plugs are not offered in that format. Yes, I can make music in 32bit just like I can go back and make music with a great band and a Fostex FD-4, but 64bit is highly preferred.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
With the amount of memory VI's like EWQL, Trilian, Omnisphere, Structure and Komplete 7 use, a lot of RAM is essential and therefore a big deal for some producers. Pro studios still use 32bit for compatibility reasons due to many plugin companies lagging behind, not because 32bit is preferred. For those in this situation, they are not going to take a risk moving to 64bit when so many of their plugs are not offered in that format. Yes, I can make music in 32bit just like I can go back and make music with a great band and a Fostex FD-4, but 64bit is highly preferred.
The VI's you've mentioned do of course benefit from a 64bit environment, but that's why we have apps like Vienna Ensemble etc to use as hosts for these VI's.
Doing things this way means Pro Tools doesn't need to be 64bit doesn't it?