Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM

Default best Pro tools 10 plugins

I am mixing an acoustic album with very sparse arrangement. Vocal , guitar, piano and violin. I have waves plugins and just got pro tools 10. Are the pro tools plugins as good as the waves. Which reverb , EQ and compression would be best. I am looking for a natural and rich sound , making the most of the acoustic instruments. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:56 AM

Default Re: best Pro tools 10 plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinWinjil View Post
I am mixing an acoustic album with very sparse arrangement. Vocal , guitar, piano and violin. I have waves plugins and just got pro tools 10. Are the pro tools plugins as good as the waves. Which reverb , EQ and compression would be best. I am looking for a natural and rich sound , making the most of the acoustic instruments. Thanks for any help.
I'm not a fan of Waves, but they should sound nicer than the stock plugins.

However... it doesn't sound like which plugins you use should be your main concern. Do some reading up on mixing acoustic instruments. It's not going to come down to the plugins you have, but the techniques you use.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-26-2012, 11:58 AM

For reverb I love Revibe and TL space. Revibe is now AAX native I think as before it was only TDM. TL space is both native and TDM. Try the demos of these see how you go. (if you like TL space I have a spare license for sale) sorry had to get the in

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 06-26-2012, 01:42 PM

well, i just finished a very high end acoustic album with some world class players, and quite frankly , the last thing i'd wanna do is add protools plugins to it. i use external reverbs like the digital EMT or the TC6000. we then summed it into an analogg rupert neve with manley final compression. maybe the TC stuff for final limiting as a plugin, depending on dynamics, but its very expensive.....i think the mics and placement will be the best 'plug ins' money can buy....i think there is a lexicon 480l simulation out there for around 400 bucks, maybe its a real winner i don't know... good luck, it certainly is a lot of fun working with these high sample rate machines and analog combination...
Old 06-27-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
... good luck, it certainly is a lot of fun working with these high sample rate machines and analog combination...
go ahead rub it in - I have seen that analog summer from Neve nice indeed $$$$
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:33 AM

Uh, for what? This question is so general that it has no point. Sorry, don't want to hurt, but it's true.
You'll get a million different result and those still won't include the purpose. Eq, dynamics, noise reduction, reverb, special fx, etc.
Even if can narrow it down, you'll get so much more than 10.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:58 AM

My recent experience has been a little different than some here. I have been a “Waves” user for over a decade and until recently, I wouldn’t touch stock plug-ins. But with the decision by Waves, not to support AAX DSP, I have done some rethinking and experimenting.

I have found the new Avid “Channel Strip” plug-in to be a very good go-to PI. For algo reverb, I have also been very impressed with “Revibe”, and even “Reverb One” for some things. Slates “VCC” is indispensable, and I love the way it sounds when combined with “HEAT” (or Phoenix).

We still need a good DSP convolution reverb and I’m hoping “Liquid Sonics” ports “Reverberate” to fill this gap. This is an excellent choice as RTAS already.

The smaller companies that are committing to AAX DSP are the ones focusing the hardest on Pro Tools compatibility, so I feel we should support them, even if we are using Native systems.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 AM

certainly, lets support the guys who are making good tools. i use them on various things, A LOT. just not the type of project i mentioned....