Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2016, 09:51 AM

Default Accessing plugins on pro tools 11

Hi there, I have pro tools ver 11.3.1 . I am new to pro tools so I would greatly appreciate some advise to the following questions:

1: I can't seem to find any instrument plugins in pro tools, all I have is 'Audiosuite' which is more for editing sound, not creating which is what I want to do, are there pre loaded instrument plugins, samples?

2: As I am new to this, would anyone have recommendations for plugins to get? there's just so many I don't know where to start. I know 'Massive' is popular?, music wise I like the sounds achieved by music software from bands like 'Muse', 'The Corrs' ('Borrowed Heaven' and 'White Light' album),'Ellie Goulding' . Could someone recommend some plugins for that type of style, that's what I am looking to put into my own music, so recommendations would be great of what to get, for synths, drums, and other sounds they create. Also is there somewhere to get these free?

3: There's so many tutorial videos for' 'Protools', where should I go to learn from basics to advanced? Free preferably!

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-2016, 03:52 PM

Lightbulb Re: Accessing plugins on pro tools 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslamamin View Post
I know 'Massive' is popular?
Massive is developed by Native Instruments. It will cost you $199 standalone. If you want Massive and a massive amount of other virtual instruments, then purchase Komplete 10 Ultimate for $999.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Accessing plugins on pro tools 11

Quote:
Hi there, I have pro tools ver 11.3.1 . I am new to pro tools so I would greatly appreciate some advise to the following questions:

1: I can't seem to find any instrument plugins in pro tools, all I have is 'Audiosuite' which is more for editing sound, not creating which is what I want to do, are there pre loaded instrument plugins, samples?

2: As I am new to this, would anyone have recommendations for plugins to get? there's just so many I don't know where to start. I know 'Massive' is popular?, music wise I like the sounds achieved by music software from bands like 'Muse', 'The Corrs' ('Borrowed Heaven' and 'White Light' album),'Ellie Goulding' . Could someone recommend some plugins for that type of style, that's what I am looking to put into my own music, so recommendations would be great of what to get, for synths, drums, and other sounds they create. Also is there somewhere to get these free?

3: There's so many tutorial videos for' 'Protools', where should I go to learn from basics to advanced? Free preferably!

Thanks in advance!
Couple of things: have you downloaded and installed the Avid instruments package? PT the program and the instrument plugins are separate downloads/installs. Second: Once that is done I'd get a good book or two on how to use PT. Amazon or Barnes & Noble should have plenty. The PT101 courseware book is excellent for total newbies. Until you get one of those I'd say to take a good long read of the manual that comes with each install of PT. It's a pdf file.

As to how to find instruments there's a quickie:
Create an Instrument track. Click on an insert slot and a menu should come up with all the instruments you have installed. Pick one and it should appear in the insert slot on that track. I say Instrument track because that's a combo of a MIDI track and an aux track to hold the instrument. When you want to render the recorded MIDI you'll either need an audio track to record to or use a bounce function which can be faster than real time rendering.

QAPLA!
Old 03-09-2016, 11:57 AM

I have looked for the instruments under inserts and they're not there. I have also gone onto to avid and looked under the 'my products' section in my account to see if there's anything else to download and it says there's not. I have attached a few screenshots if you could take a look. My Pro Tools is 11.3.1, I think all that is coming with it is Audiosuite and no instruments? I did see an 'Avid Virtual Installer for 10.3' and also a 'AIR Creative Collection for 11.x', under the my product details and download links? but is that what I need to install, I dont think so because as I said my version is 11.3.1 not 10.3 (regarding the first one mentioned). Its been a while since I downloaded pro tools so I don't remember exactly what I installed but Im sure I did it all through the ilok key etc. I also looked in my ilok activation licences and I have screenshots attached. Please take a look. Thanks for the advise on the course, is there any particular youtube or video series you would recommend to learn pro tools? Thanks in advance
Old 03-09-2016, 02:33 PM

Arrow Re: Accessing plugins on pro tools 11

Quote:
I did see an 'Avid Virtual Installer for 10.3' and also a 'AIR Creative Collection for 11.x', under the my product details and download links? but is that what I need to install
Yes.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:17 PM

Do I install both? or just one?
Old 03-09-2016, 03:18 PM

What is the 'AIR Creative Collection'?
Old 03-09-2016, 03:56 PM

I think Im after messing up things. I downloaded the virtual instruments, I went to drag them into the plugins folder and I got a message saying files such as 'Boom' etc already exist, do you want to replace, merge or stop,it said this for two others I think, anyway I clicked stop and then the rest of the files from the virtual instruments copied. Now I don't know what's what? What was already there, am I after duplicating files etc? Please help, take a look at the screenshots please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 23.50.07.jpg (25.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-09-2016, 04:05 PM

Will I try copying all the files into the plugins folder again and when the message comes up saying some items such as 'Boom' , 'Piano' etc already exist will I say merge, replace or stop?
Old 03-09-2016, 04:28 PM

I also just downloaded 'AIR Music Technology folder', this has four sub folders 'Boom', 'Mini Grand', 'Structure' and 'XPAND2' , the first folder I downloaded which I mentioned above for virtual instruments seemed to contain the same folders , I.E, 'Boom' , 'Mini grand' 'Structure' and 'Xpand2' , the only difference seems to be that the 'Structure folder' in the 'AIR Music Technology folder' contains a 'Settings' folder within it. What do I do here. I know I have a lot of messages above. If someone could please let me know and answer my previous posts above too. Thanks in advance.