Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2008, 03:04 AM

Default input monitoring issues

I ran into an issue with my PTS Le system, regarding the input monitoring. I tracked a live band starting with a pilot line (Track). I wanted to do punch in at a spot and discover issues which I am not sure how to get around it. When record is armed I play back the parts to pick up at what ever bar we need to punch in at, and I need to hear the live input too as well as the parts now playing which was recorded, playing back so the musicians know where they are as well as hear . Without hearing the live parts along with the parts playing back. The live part only become active as soon as one hit record, along with the parts playing back, the musicians need to hear the live signal even before recording punch in as well, if I switch the mode then I hear the live parts, however I need to hear the play back at the same time to pick-up from there. I hope I made it really clear.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:31 AM

Default Re: input monitoring issues

Its an option called input monitoring/auto-input.
You have it on auto-input at the moment. You require input monitoring.

The short-cut to toggle it is: alt + k
Old 05-12-2008, 08:55 AM

Default Re: input monitoring issues *DELETED*

Post deleted by andre67
Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 AM

I think I did not make my self clear enough, I know about the input monitoring modes, they do not allow live input monitoring along with playback. If I switch the mode so that I can here the tracks played back then live signal do not come through until I it record. I need to hear live signal with the play back.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:57 AM

But... that is what input-only monitoring mode is for...

The only way to get both is with external hardware monitoring (or duplicating the tracks ) .

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-12-2008, 12:00 PM

The way I would do it is to duplicate the track or just the part you want to punch in and then they can hear it as you punch in on the other track. Since you are recording over the area you want to monitor, I don't know how you would hear and record at the same time on the same track.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:22 AM

I am glad you understand my mail correctly, as some people here are tell me about the obvious for example input monitoring modes which I know about, where as I am saying these mode do not deliver what I need as they have restriction when it come to live monitoring with payback at the same time. They either miss interpret my mail or either does not understand what I am saying here. You however fully comprehend what I am saying. I know about what you are saying about if you ad another track then this would be possible, however if one works with a live bands and or groups with lots of tracks, tracking this becomes a pain to do in this why, as well time consuming to do. If one works with a single track then this would not be of any hassle, however working with several tracks it hampers work flow and slows down momentum. I do not know if the same issue exists in HD; do any care to elaborate on this one?
Is it just LE that works in this why?...............if this is the case Digi please guys implement this for us. The live signal along with playback, along with not only when one hit the record button. This is vital to have live signal for musicians to pick-up there parts along with playback recorded tracks playing; otherwise punch-in becomes tedious and slows down works flow and very time consuming to work with.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:34 AM

As mentioned this is the way it works and has worked from the first days of audio. the only difrence is that in a classic in line console the engeneer can feed the headphone mix from both the tape send and tape return. still the punch in on a tape machine would act the same as it does in PT.

To do this with PT (LE or HD) you need either
1) A console that can send direct feed to both PT and musicians at the same time plus the recorded feed back to them as well.
or
2) It might be possible to emulate this by setting up Aux ins for the mics and sendig them to buses to be recorded on audio track as well as to the headphones.

However I typically just duplicate the recorded tracks then delete the audio on the original armed tracks leaving the audio on the duplicate (with possibly trimming the part with the 'bad take'). This only requires 2 clicks and 1 drag with the mouse and gets the job done really fast and is also easy to understand later when editing.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:17 AM

the way i do it when recording is setup Aux Channels and set their inputs to the instrument or mic channels on the interface used by musicians or vocalists (as many as you need). Their aux channel ouputs are set to the master fader or outputs used for the headphone mixes.
The advantage here is that the musicians can always hear what they are playing.

I then create tracks i'm recording to and set their inputs to instruments channels used on the interface. once the tracks are enabled for recording the musicians can play along to recorded tracks and you can punch in whereever needed.
Plugins: McDSP, Sonnox, Waves, Brainworx, IK, UAD
Instagram
YouTube
Old 05-14-2008, 01:12 AM

I use a Digi002 console with a Focusrite pre-amp connected via ADAT to my Digi002, my Digi002 out (L+R) connected to a Samson C-control (control rooms unit) then to my head phone unit. Is there a way to do this besides using an Aux track or is this the only way the getting around this issue?

Usually with other program like Nuendo if you arm record then one receives a live signal along with the monitor button regardless whether there is already a track playing back. The arming and the monitor button of that track allows live monitoring signal which is not determined by a track that has to be played back.