Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2007, 11:17 PM

Default Best way to transfer Pro Tools 7.4 sessions to Logic Pro 8

I prefer using softsynths in Logic over RTAS (Thats all I want to use Logic for) and need a good system to transfer audio and midi tracks out of Pro Tools into Logic
Is there any tips of a good way to do this. So far I been consolidating my tracks and importing the audio files into Logic Pro 8.
Problem is Logic expects to see Stereo interleaved files while Pro Tools is in dual mono---this is a massive problem as the audio is degraded once Logic does the conversion on the fly. Its slight but none the less a significant problem.
Who knows somebody may have a workaround
Logic Pro 8 has been extremely disappointing in this aspect ---my question is am I doing something wrong.

thanks in advance
Dave
Old 12-28-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Best way to transfer Pro Tools 7.4 sessions to Logic Pro

bump
Old 12-28-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Best way to transfer Pro Tools 7.4 sessions to Logic Pro 8

Quote:
I prefer using softsynths in Logic over RTAS (Thats all I want to use Logic for) and need a good system to transfer audio and midi tracks out of Pro Tools into Logic
Is there any tips of a good way to do this. So far I been consolidating my tracks and importing the audio files into Logic Pro 8.
Problem is Logic expects to see Stereo interleaved files while Pro Tools is in dual mono---this is a massive problem as the audio is degraded once Logic does the conversion on the fly. Its slight but none the less a significant problem.
Who knows somebody may have a workaround
Logic Pro 8 has been extremely disappointing in this aspect ---my question is am I doing something wrong.

thanks in advance
Dave
I'm not sure what you mean by Logic converting on the fly. If you have dual mono stereo tracks (with the .L and .R suffix in the file name), you can import (add Audio file) them into the Logic audio bin and they are converted to an interleaved file. I'm not hearing any quality loss at all. If you choose, you can always export stereo tracks from ProTools as interleaved stereo (shift-command-K with a selected file), and choose stereo in the export options. I'm quite sure there is no quality loss there. Are you also trying to sample rate convert?

STeve
Old 12-29-2007, 09:12 AM

the best way is to remain in PT. Logic 8 is a disaster zone, mildly spoken.

Normally people would take a Logic recorded session and port it to PT...

If you really must go Logic then your best shot is to bounce all the tracks at position Zero and then import the audio files into Logic...

Dont know if PT exports OMF without a certain expensive option - but I do know that Logic's OMF import could even mess up a cup of coffee.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:36 AM

Disaster zone..lol...I think you have that backward...Oh wait, this is the TDM section, so as long as you stick to TDM plug-ins, you are fine...

I have countless (meaning I will not spend the day counting how many...too many) songs in PT, since it has been my app of choice for all my needs (personal pleasure: writing, recording, and mixing my music) for quite a few years. However, Logic 8 makes composing a dream, comparatively, for me. Transferring songs to Logic has been a never ending task. I started by using MIDI export (requires at least one MIDI region, and then you have an accurate import of tempo, meter and markers available), plus either OMF or AAF. Time stamped regions, or one fo those methods would allow for individual audio region import and placement, but it got tedious, and at times would not work properly. So, off to the time consuming alternative...

Be sure there is at least one MIDI/Instrument track with at least one note on it, if your song does not have any MIDI yet. Otherwise, select all your MIDI material, and consolidate. If you don't, Logic will create tracks for every MIDI region (most of the time). Can get messy. Be sure nothing is solo'd, and that none of the MIDI you want to include is muted as well. Export as .mid.

Next, select all audio, and include any empty space to bar 1|1|000. Consolidate. Rename the audio regions created, check option to rename disk file as well. Verify this in Finder.

Launch Logic, and if you do not have it launch it automatically, or wish to choose a specific template, be sure it is the (only) song/project open. Logic 8 has a default song it uses during .mid file open that you CANNOT change. With your preferred song template open, File->Open, and choose your .mid file. Do not close the open song, and choose to use (import) the Environment from the open song. Or, you can simply open the .mid with nothing open, leave it open and THEN open your template, select all in the opened .mid, copy, and paste into the template. This allows you to have "already setup tracks" and stuff in the template get used. THIS is a huge disappointment/change form 7->8 for Logic IMO. Double check your newly imported .mid to be sure the tempo is correct, and that all the meter changes and markers are cool. I have had tempos come in that were, say, 153 in PT and imported as 153.0019 or other crazy muck. No idea if it is Logic or PT.

Close any other songs except the song with your .mid stuff in it. NOTE: importing .mid INTO a song will not carry in tempo, meter, or markers! Also, exporting .mid from Logic currently buggers most/all of the markers!!!

Now you can import your audio. If you have split stereo files you want interleaved, be sure they are named properly (with exact same name, appending .L and .R accordingly). If you do NOT want them interleaved, then import all the .L files, and then go back and do a second import immediately following and choose all the .R. Logic will NOT create interleaved files in this case, and walla! You have all your mono files.

OMF is a mess IMO, but AAF seems cool so far. You still need to do the .mid open in Logic first. Be sure your SMPTE/time code in Logic (song start time) is the same as it was in PT (01:00:00:000 is typical for video work..good habit regardless?). Import your AAF.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Problem is Logic expects to see Stereo interleaved files while Pro Tools is in dual mono---
If you're running this on your PT rig, you can simply use the TDM engine with Logic and use the PT dual mono files.

Regarding the conversion, I can't imagine what you're referring to. I have never heard any difference.

Getting tracks out of the native side of Logic is a breeze. You can export them all in one operation, off-line. It's very friendly in that regard.