Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2013, 06:23 AM

Default Magma PE6R4 chassis power supply #3

Hi,

Just thought i would share this on the TDM forum as some of you might come across the same thing if you're using PCI cards in a chassis! My power supply starting making a noise! suspected fan bearing etc. so thought i better put a new power supply in the chassis.

I replaced the power supply about 4 years back with a CIT branded power supply and it has been fine for all those years and never heard it make any fan noise either, untill yesterday.

Just bought a Corsair GS800 and so far all good and no noise at all*
Only 2 connections. ..

1. the main ATX 24+4 (Only use the 24 connection! the extra 4 is just moved out of the way and not needed!!)

2. 5v molex connects to the resister on the inside of the chassis (Dummy load so chassis thinks a hard drive is connected so will boot up ok!)

There is a 3rd connection which goes to the front fans but i don't use them!! instead i have replaced the lid of the chassis with a mesh head and keep the chassis on the ground where it keeps cool. been fine for many years. but my room is quite cool!!!

*Fan only comes on when needed above a certain temp! so i'll update if it becomes noisy when the room gets up to temp.

A few piccies for ref...

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.