Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-04-2009, 10:57 AM

Default Proper HDD

My main HDD just crashed on me and though I didn't lose any files I find myself having to get a new one. Simple, right? Not really for me. All I want is an internal HDD that performs the best with PT. Should I sacrifice drive space to get a drive with a faster RPM? Does that matter? I can't find a 2tb drive that is over 7k. I have gigs upon gigs of files and can't afford 5 to 8 250GB 17k drives. Am I making it too complicated? Can I store project and audio files in one folder on my main drive and drag them to another drive to mix and playback then return them so as not to clutter the playback drive? Please no rash comments. I've been recording and mixing my own music for years with no schooling so yes, I am still a poor newbie and live in a very rural area with no pro audio experts to consult.
Another thing, which would be better; SATA or Firewire? I have only one firewire port and my 002 is plugged into that. Does it put more of a load on my CPU to run firewire? Running X-gear puts a pretty good load on it as it is.... Oh yeah, sorry guys I know can run on for days...... I'll have some cash in a while to upgrade things that I absolutely must upgrade. My computer was built in around 03-04 so I know its been outdated 196 times. Any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry if the answer is something everyone who has ever pressed the record button should know... Thanks for your time
Old 10-04-2009, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Proper HDD

when you say main, do you mean your System Drive or your primary recoding drive?
FW 400 is 400 Mb/s, 800 is 800 Mb/s
SATA 1 is 1.5 Gb/s, 2 is 3 Gb/s, 3 is 6 Gb/s (3 is just staring to come out)

I myself would not use the System Drive for project storage
if you have SATA, I would get 2 1TB WD Black drives, one for system and one for recording,
then get a 2 TB WD Green for backup

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-04-2009, 04:46 PM

Make sure they are SATA II and have a 32 mb cache.

Cheers,
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Old 10-04-2009, 08:11 PM

7200 rpm drives are fine but avoid the "green" ones.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:30 PM

WD Black series should be at the top of your list. Internal drives will have better performance than any firewire. If you need backup, USB drives are fine(you won't actually run a session of it). If your computer has an eSATA port, that works as good as internal. If your motherboard has extra SATA ports, you can add eSATA with a simple(and cheap) back plane that plugs into the motherboard. Agreed on 7200 rpm being fine and avoiding the "green" versions.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-05-2009, 06:02 PM

Thanks guys. I got the WD black drive today. Gonna install it tomorrow and have at it! Thanks again guys and keep on rockin
Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 AM

Hey guys. So I added the new hard drive, formatted it and thought I was ready to go but I cant figure out how to move all those recorded files to my slave drive. I clicked and dragged all of my project and audio files to the other drive but I keep getting the error message "Cant get audio from the drive fast enough" when trying to play back. I looked through the book and though it tells me how to format and defragment my drive and not to record to the same drive, it doesn't tell me how to accomplish this. I uninstalled and did a fresh install thinking it would put up a menu where I could specify where I wanted those recorded files to be stored, but no luck. Do I need to install PT on my slave drive and continue to pull my recorded files from my primary drive? Clueless, clueless, clueless
Old 10-09-2009, 09:33 AM

The Pro Tools program should always be installed to the system drive.

Pro Tools sessions (session folder, session file, audio files) should be saved to a separate drive.

It's a little difficult to advise you without details about your system (which drive died? Which drive did you replace? What are the specs of the new drive, etc), and about your sessions, especially how they were recorded in the first place (to which drive? How was the recording allocation set up? etc).

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-09-2009, 10:36 AM

Question Re: Proper HDD

I run An ASUS P5B Deluxe XP SP3, Intel Core 2; 6400@2.13GHz 2GB Ram
PT LE 8 (Newest Version) 002 Rack
1st system Drive; (Dead Hdd) WD Caviar 500GB SE16
New system Drive; Seagate 2TB; 32MB @ 5900 RPM
New Slave Drive; WD Caviar 1TB @ 7200 RPM

I have experimented with different sample rates 44, 48 & 96.
When I purchased my 002 I had asked several questions as I was having a computer built to run just this program and not once did I hear, "its imperitive to install an extra drive or not to record to my system drive." Hindsight...

I can't remember PT ever giving me the option to record to a different drive but I could be very wrong. The drive is there in the task manager and in the Disk usage screen but it doesn't help me fix the problem. It keeps saying it can't get audio from the drive fast enough which means its still pulling off of the system drive, right?
I consulted the book and nowhere does it have info on how to change those settings. Do I just have to click and drag the audio/project files to my slave drive so when I open the session they come up missing? Then just re-link them from the other drive or do I start from scratch and re-import files cause I recorded them wrong?
I did a complete un-install and a fresh install and the only files it asked to specify the destination for was the program files for PT itself.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:28 AM

You can assign what drive gets recorded to under "Disc Allocation," I think.

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)