Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2012, 03:33 AM

Default HD3 accel to HDX1, Happy?

Hi.
Close to this big move. Most of the positive post reference HDX2 systems rather that just one card. My interest is HDX-1

I'm borderline going HDX1 (HD I/O 8-8-8) but have a few reservations.
AAX is getting there so not the direction of this post.
Rather for pop-music productions where 120-160+ voices @ 44.1KHz is most common.
I also convert stems to surround for music videos and short independent films.
(Currently 5.1 discreet-PCM) HD3 maxes out quickly here.

My system (my investment)also prefaces 5 other rooms (HD3, Magma solutions)

HDX1 (One card only), on-par, betters a bit, betters allot an HD3 or stay and add more accel cards

Your opinions welcome.
Thanks.
T
Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 AM

Default Re: HD3 accel to HDX1, Happy?

I maxed my HD system out to an HD 6 in the PE6R4 and I've yet to hit any kind of wall with it. I have HEAT and all of the plugins that I like in DSP (TDM) form. I respect the fact that you don't want to make this post about plugin availability but I beg to differ with you that AAX support is catching up. So far it is not and you will not be able to take advantage of whatever DSP power that you have with HDX.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:22 AM

Hdx1 is opening and playing back all my HD3 sessions with the exception of a few TDM only plugins.
they are a few bugs attached to the TDM to native transition /AAx
It generally is fixed with a reboot .
As Werner was saying ,AAX is not there yet for me ,my DSP usage is in the 10%
Was the move worth it ?
yes
Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 AM

If you're working with surround, have you considered the Omni as part of your setup? Or do you already have a way to monitor in surround?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
I maxed my HD system out to an HD 6 in the PE6R4 and I've yet to hit any kind of wall with it. I have HEAT and all of the plugins that I like in DSP (TDM) form. I respect the fact that you don't want to make this post about plugin availability but I beg to differ with you that AAX support is catching up. So far it is not and you will not be able to take advantage of whatever DSP power that you have with HDX.
An HD6 on an Intel is a HUGH amount of power!!! I'm keeping my HD3 as of right now... It rocks, sounds great, and makes me money!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:34 AM

Thanks all.
Yes, I have surround monitoring in place but up to 5.1 only. I am considering the Omni as I could test some 7.1 elevation (Pro Tools currently does not offer this in Ts Cs layout) so working would be workarounds.
Since Core audio and PT's HD doesn't work simultaneously I utilize two interfaces to a 5.1 switcher (4x5.1 CC4)
Old 05-31-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francois View Post
Hdx1 is opening and playing back all my HD3 sessions with the exception of a few TDM only plugins.
they are a few bugs attached to the TDM to native transition /AAx
It generally is fixed with a reboot .
As Werner was saying ,AAX is not there yet for me ,my DSP usage is in the 10%
Was the move worth it ?
yes
Agree I was doing a 5.1 mastering session last weekend, that frankly my HD3 (albiet in a G5) was a PITA to do.

OK another poster is right, I was running 80% native plug ins, but being able to run the mixer on DSP seems to make it more stable than the HD Native we have here, when playing H264 in the timeline.

A poster has stated the plug ins aren't going to be here, I think he's wrong. I'm in regular communication with Sonnox and they state (and they know they said it before) that they will be starting the roll out post 10.2. in the next couple of weeks (I know I have also said that before ;-) )

Avid have been incrementally rolling out their own line and they're nearly there now, I've been assured that Eleven is in that program and is coming.

I've emailed a lot of developers like Flux and Brainworx and they stated they have it in the pipeline. I've even heard that a high profile Mercury user had a positive response from Waves (I can't verify that so feel free to discount) but people also forget any new version of Venue will have to be AAX DSP based and that's a huge market (that's my own take based on what happened with HDTDM technology being ported over to Venue back in the day and an assumption not based on any inside knowledge that Avid will do the same eventually on Venue I could of course be horribly wrong) . People like Waves are certainly not in a hurry.

What is true is that it isn't available now and you do have to make do with a lot of Native.

It's worth noting that the Softube PIs are great and out now and Avids own channel strip is simply stunning and if it had a TP badge on it people would happily pay for it. You shouldn't ignore the free stuff just becuase it's free.

The system also handles 96 K in way and speed my HD3 just couldn't. Surround mixing ditto it just eats it up.

I think an 8 or 12 core + HDx card will do what you want. You'll be stunned with the increase in speed as well, but it is true to say I am not getting the best out of my system just yet.

So to summarise HDX1 (One card only), on-par, betters a bit, betters allot an HD3 or stay and add more accel cards

I was in exactly your position and even though I'm not yet getting the most out of it, it is way better than my HD3 was. I also think I'll be seriously laughing that I went this route and not HD in Magma in about 6 months when I guestimate 66% (ha ha so precise) of my old plugs will be AAX DSP and I reckon 90% within a year. We all know a few just wont make it.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:11 PM

I've just filled my magma 7 slot chassis up and I've not come close to maxing this out. I still can't see the benefit of HDX at the mo for the price it is. All I can say is I'm now loving my rig as it is now running very stable and smooth

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 05-31-2012, 02:10 PM

One more think, As soon as I installed the HDX card instead of the HD3 my Mac Pro 8 core seemed to be snappier
Old 05-31-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
I've just filled my magma 7 slot chassis up and I've not come close to maxing this out. I still can't see the benefit of HDX at the mo for the price it is. All I can say is I'm now loving my rig as it is now running very stable and smooth
may not matter to you but to some 1 HDX card will give them:
1) 60 odd more voices to start with
2) RTAS/Native on Auxes and I/O Inserts use half the amount of voices
3) Extra Long ADC setting

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig