Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2000, 11:54 AM

Default Potential VIA Chipset Solution

Uninstall the VIA Busmaster driver &
Install Windows default drivers
--------------------------------------------

I'm upgrading my computer and have found the VIA Chipset Motherboards to consist of the most favorable features for my needs.

I understand there are conflict problems between Digi001 and VIA.

I've found the following potential solution on VIA's support site:

*** http://www.viatech.com/support/faq.htm

Will this solution solve the Digi001 conflict?

Q: How do I uninstall the VIA Busmaster driver and reinstall my Windows default
drivers?

A:To uninstall our drivers you must run the .exe file. You will be given 2 options:
Install or Uninstall. Upon choosing Uninstall, the driver will be removed and
Windows will automatically restore the default drivers. After uninstalling, the
Windows 98 Device Manager may say that the VIA driver is still installed. Although the device manager shows the VIA driver to be there, it could have been removed. This is how to check to see if your default Windows driver has been reinstalled:

1.go into "Run" on the Windows startup menu and type in "regedit"
2.go into: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/system/CurrentControlSet/services/class/hdc
3. then look inside one of the subfolders for the "port driver" shown next to the "port driver" it will show "EDSI_506.pdr". If it shows VIA instead, then the VIA driver has not been removed . Even if the Windows default driver has been restored, it still may show the VIA driver in the Device manager.

This means that you are using the default MS drivers but Windows fails to recognize it. This is a minor issue with Windows 98.
Old 06-07-2000, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Potential VIA Chipset Solution

Hey, thanks for the prompt reply.

No VIA, No big whoop. I'm currently in the process of designing my dream A/V Win98 system. The "A" aspect will be Digi001.

I just need to determine what my system will consist of. Right now I'm planning on purchasing a new:

* Motherboard - ???
* CPU - 733 FC-PGA (flip chip, cheaper)
* Ultra 160 Controller (tekram)
* 18g Ultra 160 10000 rpm Drive (???)

This will leave me with:

* Case - (atx)
* Ram - 256 pc100
* CD - 40x (generic)
* cdrw/dvdrom - Ricoh
* Sound - SB Live Platinum

I plan on packing all of this stuff together and selling off my old MB, HD's, etc.

BTW, I had found all the future products for approximately $1100 and I'd like to keep it around that price.

Questions:

1. Do you see any potential compatibility issues with my existing or future hardware?

2. Can you suggest a motherboard that fulfills the following requirements:

a. 4xAGP
b. SDRam (Not RDRam)
c. 133-mhz System Bus
d. 5+ PCI Slots

The reason I say no to Rambus' RDRam is because of incompatibility with SDRam, plus all these boards seem to have but 2 Ram slots.

Also, I've found that many of the MB manufacturers are turning to VIA for chipsets on their newest boards.

3. I plan on installing Matrox's RT2000 Video editing Hardware/Software. Do you know of any incompatibility issues between Digi001 & RT2000?

Thanks Again, hopefully this thread will be of assistance to more than myself.

kazi
Old 06-08-2000, 12:15 AM

>>Will this solution solve the Digi001 conflict?

I don't think so. The problem is in the hardware, not the driver. We tried installing the standard Microsoft HDC driver on the VIA chipset, and it did not solve the performance problems we were experiencing (although the driver did install and function properly).

Eric Day
DAE Engineer

Old 06-08-2000, 03:19 AM

Stick with the tried and tested if you want a machine that will work. Digi recommend PIII chips so use one. There are no motherboards that use the 4X agp that I could recomend. You will notice that the Abit board is recommended a lot and this uses the 440bx chipset. At times it is hard enough getting things to work with all the right bits so if you go for any of these untested bits expect to be disapointed or down right frustrated.
Old 06-08-2000, 11:47 AM

kazi,

It's my opinion that if you truly want a
"Dream" A/V system then you should stick to
a 440BX chipset. Personally
I would ditch the SB Live ( I always see it the center of attention in "why won't xxx work with my soundcard discussions", and why are you gonna need it anyway, you have the digi001 hardware ) and ditch the IDE as well. Sure
you can get a 1 billion gigabyte IDE drive for $10, but if you want the best performance, and you want to relieve your processor for tasks like oh, all of those audio tracks and DSP functions I would go with SCSI. Regardless of what anyone tries to tell you. SCSI is faster and uses less CPU than IDE. That means more tracks and more host based processing power left over for you to do cool stuff. There are many nice 440BX boards that have a built in SCSI host adapter so you dont even need to sacrifice a PCI slot. Besides you will have a system that can run PT 24/MIXplus when you get finished. *evil grin*

Tig

Old 06-08-2000, 04:51 PM

I was going to be running a VIA chipset with a FastTrack66 IDE Raid controller. Will that sidestep the disk access issues with the VIA?
Old 06-08-2000, 08:29 PM

Hey Kazi,
i have good news and bad news for you. The motherboard you are describing (intel, pga, 133FSB, 4x AGP, SDram) exists. Now dont get too excited, why well becuase you will not be able to get your hands on one unless you have some kind of hook up in the computer industry. You see, Intel has spent gazillions in this little company called Rambus that promised the world to them, but only brought them misfortune. intel has invested much in rambus, and intel does not want to lose everything they spent by dropping thier support of RDRAm. Because they still (barely) control the PC market they are trying to get everybody to buy Rambus motherboards. The problem here is nobody wants to spend the premium for ram that does not perform as well as SDRAM (especially with the new DDR SDRAM coming out which doubles the SDram's performance). So intel has created a chipset for the low budget PC users, the 815 chipset. This chipset seems to be the BX of the 8XX series chipsets. It implements the best of the 8XX sets (AGP 4X, 133 FSB,and more usb support etc) while continuing to use SDRAM.
Sorry but intel has not announced the selling of this board to individuals, or for resale except for the big PC vendors (compaq, dell, etc), meaning unless you buy a new computer from a big Vendor, you are stuck with the BX. Maybe we all should write intel and tell them to swallow their pride and lose Rambus, its only gonna end up hurting them.

Christian

[This message has been edited by crs117 (edited June 08, 2000).]
Old 06-09-2000, 04:43 PM

Hey,

Thanks for all the help.

I've been doing some research on the motherboard tip and have found a wealth of funny/informative discussion about Intel.

Summed up, they amount to:

440bx is better than any other MB Chipset.

It is possible to run 133 FrontSideBus CPU's, but one must over clock to get there.

Overclocking has been determined to be stable, BUT your AGP Graphics card must be able to handle it. Apparently most due.

You can read the whole article at Toms Hardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboar...308/index.html

On the hard drive side:

I've found Raid solutions to be quite enticing. Though they might be a bit overkill for system. The two systems most alluring to me are:

1. MedeaRaid - External SCSI Raid
2. FastTrak66 - Internal IDE Raid

Basically, RAID allows for drives to be linked together to provide either Speed/Capacity improvements or Security improvements.

Two Drives linked together can:

1. Double transfer rate & Double HD size!!!

or

2. Provide redundant backup of data by saving to both drives at all times.

The IDE setup is CHEAP, $150 for the card. Then buy the two ATA66 drives.

MedeaRaid is more expensive.

Has anyone tried either of these two systems?