Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2003, 12:26 PM

Default Massenburg EQ vs Oxford EQ comments please.

Hi, anyone out there who has both the Massenburg and the Oxford with the Massenburg 8200 emulation? What is the difference or similarites with the new Massenburg and the Sony Oxford emulation? Both are 5 band EQs. . . if I purchased the Sony plugin will I get the best of both worlds?

Also those lucky guys who got the Massive Pack upgrade . . . how does the stock Oxford EQ compare with the MDW HD EQ?

Thanks!
www.hitproductions.net
Old 10-05-2003, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Massenburg EQ vs Oxford EQ comments please.

I've used the massenburg option for the Oxford as a demo and own the Massive Pack versions of both plugs. The only difference I could determine between the standard Oxford and the Massenburg option was the maximum width of the Q and the amount of overlap between frequency bands. If I set both versions to roughly equal settings, they sounded identical to my ears.

The newer MDW version however is a completely different animal -- easier to use and much better sounding IMO. MUCH sweeter in the mid and high frequencies and tighter in the lows. The only advantage the Sony has is its ability to load 3 band and Filters only versions to save on DSP.

If you are only going to buy one I would definitely recommend the MDW.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:26 PM

Quote:
how does the stock Oxford EQ compare with the MDW HD EQ?

I've just been using them a couple of months, and the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned. My impression so far, however, is that the Oxford EQ sounds somewhat harsh. This surprised me, as I was expecting an exquisite experience. I know lots of folks speak very highly of it, though. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I like the Massenburg EQ, and I still really like the Waves REQ. As far as my favorite user interface goes, the Emagic Channel EQ is head and shoulders above everything I've personally tried - truly a brilliant, intuitive design with the spectrum analyzer superimposed on top of the EQ curve, and the ease of creating and manipulating boosts and cuts. I hope all the competition is studying it carefully.

Lee Blaske
Old 10-05-2003, 04:36 PM

hello
definitly Massenburg ..... so musical!!!!

even the real sony OXFR3 mixing desk is under ...(it is in fact a plug ing with feet!!!)

I have tried the Massive pack pro version
must be the real one!
I hope

Old 10-05-2003, 05:18 PM

Cool MDW it is !!! Thanks guys . . . saved me a bunch of $$$ . . . any recommendations for great vocal comp plugins?
www.hitproductions.net
Old 10-05-2003, 07:46 PM

Gee Lee, I'm sure glad you said that. I've downloaded the demo of the Sony EQ and I'm sorry, I just don't hear it. It sounds very harsh to these ears....
Old 10-05-2003, 09:18 PM

the MDW EQ has a great, smooth top end that the Oxford doesn't have....
Old 10-07-2003, 09:20 PM

The oxford is much smoother on the eyes
The MDW is DSP hungry. Sounds great, but DSP hungry - however it looks like I will be staying with my G4 and 4 cards (as opposed to a new G5 and Accel) so hopefully I'll have plenty of DSP for a while.
I do really like the Oxford's filters. I can really tweak the low end of things with steep hi-pass filters.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:58 AM

I realize that this is my first post on this forum, so I don't want to act provocative.
But it kind of amuses me watching the holy quest for the ultimate eq-plug in.
What are our standards? I mean; people raved about the sony 1 year ago, while now it is harsh and barely useful. The mdw is "da thing" nowadays, but we'll see around the next corner...
Digital platforms are in constant development, so it would be wise to moderate our exitement a little. I use the sony, and like the tool it is, it makes the job. It could maybe be sweeter, but it surely could be worse. I can't wait to read the future posts: "remember the mdw?, and we thought that was a no' topper!"

regards, ruudman
Old 10-08-2003, 07:38 AM

what do you think about the waves master eq? unfortunately it has a big delay if you insert it on a channel but it sounds amazing to me...