Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-03-2002, 06:26 AM

Default Solo safe a SEND?

Although this question has been asked a few times in the DUC, there has yet to be an answer --

How do you "solo safe" a send?

Application: cue mix. Sends set to pre-fader.

Can this be done?

Thanks,

jr
Old 06-03-2002, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Solo safe a SEND?

if you put a send in pre fader mode
(on the send fader you can find this option)

it will not be affected by the mute

so it will work if an other track
is soloed!!

and then you are able to creat a cue mix !!

Use the same send A/B/C/D/E for all your tracks
But be care full this use a lot of time slot if you do this for a lot of tracks
Old 06-03-2002, 07:00 AM

Is there any way to do this so that one doesn't have to recreate an entire mix for the cue bus? In other words, is the a Solo Safe but Post-Fader mode for sends? I've actually just spend most of the night trying to figure this out. The idea is to give a band the same mix we're hearing, but still be able to solo tracks in the Control Room while they're recording.

Tanx...
Old 06-03-2002, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Bazilian:
Is there any way to do this so that one doesn't have to recreate an entire mix for the cue bus?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's not exactly the "mode" you're asking for, but I acomplish this by using pre-fader sends with the "copy to send" command. Does the trick for me. ... Granted you won't hear real-time fader moves done during tracking reflected in the pre-fader sends, but I find that a good thing. The cue is then the same basic balance I'm working with, but I can solo or bump up something for scrutiny without disturbing the cue mix.

-dave
Old 06-03-2002, 07:25 AM

I too recommend this method....quick and easy to match an automation move just created.....copy to send...voila... the cue mix!

R
Old 06-04-2002, 10:16 AM

What I do when tracking is set up a whole other console along side my tracks using aux inputs set to the same inputs as the incoming signals to be recorded. These aux inputs create a live mix of the mics/sources themselves and are routed to a stereo output pair and "solo-safed" When overdubs are needed, create a stereo pre-fader aux buss that feeds the cue output, copy the track's main fader levels/automation to the cue faders if desired, and that way a musician hears himself "live" as well as playback of previously recorded material. You will want to monitior this cue mix-I just keep a pair of cans by my workstation that I can pick up whenever I need to hear exactly what the cue mix is doing.

Of course this technique requires that you have tons of DSP, especially if you like to track with plug-ins in place. Delete aux inputs on subsequent sessions to free up DSP, and don't forget to delete all unused "paths" including inputs...it might just buy you one more Amp Farm or reverb!
Old 06-05-2002, 01:05 AM

I figured it out -- solo safe and busses can be tricky -- you have to really build your mixer thoughtfully.

The way I did it - use subgroups where appropriate to busses - then i chose to use the A send(all pre fader) to bus 31-32 for the cue mix - coming back to a streo aux in (output to analog interface outputs 3-4). Solo safe this aux return.

works great.

with the StudioComm, i can easily monitor control room, cue, or whatever - and I can easily switch the cue form CR to cue to tape just as easy...

a very powerful system we've got here...

thanks, digi!

jr