Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 07-20-2018, 02:37 PM

Default Re: recover my song in 2018

hello I am confused at how to go about this..I have both new PT's 2018 and old PT's 10 computers running now but I guess PT's will only work on one ilok at a time.In my old computer audio drive I have ''session back up files'' and then I have my songs listed and it says PT's sessions.I have tried to send them to my off computer drive and reload them into PT's 2018 computer.None of them seem to have the audio files.Do I need to send the PT's authorization back to my old ilok back and try and bring up the songs in PT's 10 and save them in a different way.I thought PT's was saving everything to the audio drive everytime I close and save a session..Thanks

Last edited by mikeyman; 07-20-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:23 PM

I'd recommend reviewing the info on Saving in the Ref Guide. I would also take this opportunity to make sure the audio drive is backed up to reduce the risk of losing your work.

While it's likely that all the audio for your session is in the Audio Files folder in the session's folder (along with the Pro Tools session file), doing a Save Copy In with the Audio Files option enabled is a safer way to move a session. But again it's best to review the Ref Guide to understand the process.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:35 PM

how do I back up the drive ?

Last edited by mikeyman; 07-20-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:55 PM

I tried moving my Ilok to the old computer to start PT's10 but PT's won't load in because my Lynx interface is in the new computer now so I can't get into PT's 10 anymore
Old 07-20-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
how do I back up the drive ?
There are multiple ways to back up a drive, it's not really Pro Tools specific. Just a good idea to have backups (multiple copies in different locations) in case of a drive failure or other disaster.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:28 PM

i'm thinking what i'll have to do is re-install the lynx interface back in the old computer and ''save'' my files w/audio'' the correct way, then install the lynx card back into the new computer and load the projects in that way.I don't want to do that but I see no other way to do it.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
I tried moving my Ilok to the old computer to start PT's10 but PT's won't load in because my Lynx interface is in the new computer now so I can't get into PT's 10 anymore
Pro Tools 10 doesn't require that interface. Launch and hold the N key until you get the Playback Engine then select another option. If on Windows you might need to install ASIO4ALL to use the built-in audio hardware.

You might at least try copying one of your session folders (with the Session file, Audio Files folder, etc. inside it) to the new computer to try opening the session. You can use an external drive, local network, file sharing service, etc.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
There are multiple ways to back up a drive, it's not really Pro Tools specific. Just a good idea to have backups (multiple copies in different locations) in case of a drive failure or other disaster.
I kinda thought I was backing up my stuff by saving my songs to my external hard drive.My problem is I don't use PT's enough to get good at it and I forget how to do stuff.I know I checked those songs to see if they would re-load and they did but I didn't listen for the audio I just pressed playback and it started so I just thought it was there because it loaded in.But now I recall the page that asks you what you want to save and the box to check for audio files.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Pro Tools 10 doesn't require that interface. Launch and hold the N key until you get the Playback Engine then select another option. If on Windows you might need to install ASIO4ALL to use the built-in audio hardware.

You might at least try copying one of your session folders (with the Session file, Audio Files folder, etc. inside it) to the new computer to try opening the session. You can use an external drive, local network, file sharing service, etc.
thank you for helping me....I will try to hold the N key.But what is happening it says Lynx not installed and then the playback engine comes up but I didn't see a place to change anything.Ill try it with the N key and see if I can do it ...thanks
Old 07-20-2018, 07:42 PM

Understood, and keep in mind that the Session File Backups are simply that... Backups of the Session Files. Audio files are separate, and though typically stored in the Audio Files folder in the same directory/folder as the main Session file, one could change drive settings or add audio to a session that resides somewhere else. That's why Save Copy In (with the correct options enabled) can write a new copy of everything.

Again though, if you even have a thumb drive available copy one of your session folders to it and try that on your new system.