Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-26-2003, 09:17 PM

Default System Instability With DR-008

I purchased the FXpansion DR-008 virtual drum machine a couple of weeks ago and have had problems ever since. Lots of "Access Violation" error messages, Pro Tools crashes, and even spontanious system reboots - a first for me under XP.

I've done a bit of research and have tried the following:

Checked to make sure no folders or DR008 kit files were read only.
Deleted the DAE preferences folder in case it was corrupted.
Reinstalled the DR008.

The problem seems to have made Pro Tools unstable and prone to "Access Violation" errors with or without the DR008 now. A reboot seems to set things straight for a while, but things are not as stable for long. I recently upgraded to XP from WinME and am starting to miss the stability I had under Pro Tools 5.1.1.

Here's my system specs:
Essentially, my system is an Alenstien machine with a few mods:

Asus A7V333-X
AMD XP2100+
1024 MB of Crucial Ram (2-512 sticks)
Maxtor system drive
Seagate audio drive
PC Power & Cooling Silencer
ATI Radeon dual video card
Everything that's not needed is disabled in Bios. There are no other programs on the machine except WinXP Home and Pro Tools.

Before upgrading to the above motherboard/processor/memory last week, I had an ASUS Cusl2-C with a PIII 1ghz and 256MB ram. The same problems with "Access Violations" and crashes with the 008 existed in that system as well. In fact, I only upgraded because I thought the problems were due to the system being underpowered. So, new system, fresh install, and no change in stability.

Is anyone else having these issues with the DR-008? I haven't had this many problems since using Cubase 3 which was like loading a virus on purpose.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:36 PM

Default Re: System Instability With DR-008

Yes, I'm getting access violation and fatal error messages everytime I use 008 (version C) in a session. It even screws up when trying to use 008 for the click track. It works fine as the click, but failures take place when closing the session.

Contacted Angus at FX, he asked for system info which was provided, and I haven't heard back in a couple of weeks.

At least one other DUCer posted a fairly recent message about the same problem, but the post has "disappeared."

The good news is: It's probably not your system.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:42 AM

This symptom I never really got rid of it, but I was told that 512mb of ram wasn't enough to be working with big kits in the dr-008 and I was using the drumkit from hell kits. I haven't really used it since. Still waiting for the final version to be released.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:01 AM

The final version has not been released yet? I guess I'm running a beta version? This whole status of the DR-008 product has been confusing to me from the start.

Ditto on the Fatal Exception errors.
Ditto on the works fine until closing a session or PTLE.

I guess I'll shelve the 008 until the final release too. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2003, 11:10 AM

Email from Angus on 008 status:

Unfortunately we're STILL having problems with the 3rd party component which delayed the original beta release. The plan is now to change things so that we no longer rely on it (the people that provided it to us are proving extremely slow at fixing it), but this will take more time. There's not a lot more I can say right now, besides that we are working on it, and
we'll send something over absolutely as soon as it is ready.

Regards,
Angus.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:15 AM

Maybe I shouldn't have posted that email from Angus, it was an email addressed to an individual. If it causes problems, I apoligize. Digi admin may want to take it off. If so, have at it.