Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2004, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Best Laptops for PTLE

Just got the Inspiron 8600. Is there a faq on the best settings for the software, hardware, and anything else that needs to be done to make it run PTLE at its best? Are the settings any different for the laptop models than the Windows desktop models? Would be interested also on the minimum startup to make XP run along with PTLE. I plan on using the 8600 almost exclusively for PTLE.

Thanks,

Glenn
Old 01-24-2004, 01:40 PM

Hey man, I would go with the eMachines Athlon 64 machine..Get the one with the DVD burner...I've been researching it and this is the machine i'm getting. Nothing can touch it under 2K and you can get it for like under $1650 with a mail in rebate of $100!! So $1550 for this..The only centrino that will keep up is the 1.7 and you are looking at $400 more for the Compaq X1000 and almost $500 more the the Dell 8600 in the 1.7 with similar features.....I'm ordering mine on Monday!!
Old 01-25-2004, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Hey man, I would go with the eMachines Athlon 64 machine..Get the one with the DVD burner...I've been researching it and this is the machine i'm getting. Nothing can touch it under 2K and you can get it for like under $1650 with a mail in rebate of $100!! So $1550 for this..The only centrino that will keep up is the 1.7 and you are looking at $400 more for the Compaq X1000 and almost $500 more the the Dell 8600 in the 1.7 with similar features.....I'm ordering mine on Monday!!
Sean,
We need to get www.newegg.com to carry these laptops. I see that Circuit City is carrying them now. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Allen
Old 01-25-2004, 07:57 PM

Hey all.

I'm very interested to hear how your AMD64 laptop is doing on the Davec vs. the Dell Centrino 1.7. I'm ready to purchase my laptop in the next two days and any advice from anyone here would be greatly appreciated. Which one will give me better performance? I'm running PT LE 6.2.2 and a 002r. Also, is 512 RAM enough?

Thanks!
Pete
Old 01-26-2004, 01:57 AM

yes, I will do the DaveC test as soon as I get the computer and purchase an MBox system. I have to sell my Digi001 system first..The thing is, even if the centrino beats the AMD 64 it will only be by a hair and who the hell would use all those plugs in a session anyway??? The thing that is making me buy the emachines laptop instead of the Centrino is the fact that a comparable Dell 8600 with the same basic features is around 2 grand right now, and they have cut the price. The other Centrino in the running is the X1000 Compaq presario..Again, a comparably equipped unit will be around $1950...The emachines uniit is $1649 out the door with a $100 mail in rebate..So basically it's $1550!!!!! In my book, the price difference between that in the centrio will buy me my MBox...So even if the centrio is a hair faster in my book, it's not worth the extra cash..BUT..If you want to use your laptop on batteries often, then you will NEED the centrino..the AMD gets about 1/2 the battery operation time..Keep that in mind....Bang for the Buck for me, this Emachines unit is a no brainer..The processor and the chipset are completely compatable with Pro Tools and we are golden!!!! More coming soon.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:50 AM

there are some other factors involved as well.

#1 In my experience the centrinos are much quieter. For some uses this is not a consideration, but in recording it can be. (My centrino is quiet enough for me to record in the same room) The AMD athlon system I had wasn't even close. I'm not sure how noise relates to the 64, but I assume it probably generates more heat, requiring more fans.

#2 the centrino systems are generally much lighter and much thinner. There are some that are not so small or light (some dells and some of the widescreens) but for the most part they are very compact. Again this might not be an issue for you, but if you're looking for a notebook size can sometimes matter. ha!

anyway the bottom lines are usually price vs. performance and it looks like you're got a winner with the amd 64. When I made my choice I got one of the cheapest centrinos out there---$1099, but it's only a 1.3. I love it and get plenty of speed out of it.

Also keep in mind a faster chip isn't just great for loads of plugins (or more instances of good plugins) but if you start recording 96k (mbox excluded) the extra cpu can be valuable.

good luck with your setup!
Old 01-26-2004, 11:02 AM

Anyone using a Compaq x1010 Widescreen Centrino. I saw a good deal on this today and wondered if it is going to fair any better than the Aspire that had basically the same specs that I just returned because it consistantly would not play or record with out errors. I live in Canada and have limited options for my price range and requirements. I have a 002Rack and mainly track full bands for the time being.

Dave

Old 01-26-2004, 01:49 PM

hey all, ive just finsihed reading this whole thread. lots of good information

but im still teeter tottering on what i want and need~

im leaning towards the centerino after all of these good results with it, ive got a quick question though (how can a 1.7 ghz centrino outpreform a 3.0 ghz 800fsb P4) there is almost double the power there? could someone shed some light on that for me. thanks

also check out this store, its located in toronto, amazing low prices www.etccomputer.ca

im going to be using an mbox and later upgrading to a digi 002r but i really wanna make sure im right before i buy

also i know this is irrelevent in here but im also a gamer, how are the 1.7 centrinos with games, considering id have a gig of ddr ram

thanks alot everyone and keep up the great information
screw digisupport when we got primary research like this!

Old 01-26-2004, 03:20 PM

FYI, I just got off of techbargains.com and they have an additional $100 discount code for today only (apparantly) to purchase a Dell. That brings the price of an Inspiron 8600 with P-M 1.7, 15.4 WSXGA+ (better screen has better resolution -- are there any known conflicts here?), 512 of RAM (is that enough?), DVD burner, wireless, and the 60 gig 7200 RPM hardrive, after all discounts comes to $1858US or thereabouts. Sounds like a safe way to go for me...any thoughts on the above?
Old 01-26-2004, 04:46 PM

Quick update/question: I just purchased the Inpsiron 8600 1.7, w/ SXGA+ screen, DVD burner, 60 gig 7200rpm drive, but with only 256 ddr 2700 ram for $1758 from Dell including the $100 discount off of techbargains site. It will be cheaper to add my own RAM (about $110 per 512meg chip).

Can anyone tell me whether 756 megs of RAM would be enough or do I need to get 1gig?