Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-24-2011, 06:44 AM

Default HD10 Delay Compensation Red alert when opening older sessions.

When opening PT HD sessions in HD10 I often get a "error" messages of I/O configuration, but it seems fine, there are somr input routings that are grayed out but all outputs are fine.
However the DLY indicator in transport is solid red but I can´t figure out where the "failing" channel strip is... Everything seems fine and what I can hear my audio is tight...
Any ideas ? Don´t like red lights
Old 11-29-2011, 11:54 AM

Default Re: HD10 Delay Compensation Red alert when opening older sessions.

F.Child,

Hi. I posted about this in another thread from a week or so back. It appears this is a change in the software that got implemented in PT9 (and is very annoying). I contacted Tech Support using an ASC and this is the conversation and my original link reprinted below.

Quote:
Dear Avid,

Hi. Just started running PT10HD and immediately noticed a change to the delay compensation reporting. Here's a thread on the DUC that highlights my situation (user name is Bushpig):

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=311140
Message back:

Quote:
I have confirmed the issue described in Pro Tools 10.
I tested the same session in HD9.05 and for me, it still occurs.
I then went back to HD8.0 and the DLY indicator does not illuminate.
I have just tested again on HD9 and it's still occuring for me.

Are you absolutely sure this did not occur in HD9?
If so, I can't reproduce it currently.

For me, something has obviously changed in the coding between Pro Tools HD 8.0 and 9.0

Can you let me know, i'll continue to look at this in due course.
Me:

Quote:
I never upgraded to 9 at all, so if it changed then, I wouldn't have noticed (sorry). If you remember, you and I jumped through hoops to maintain my 8 iLok licence, as I wanted to skip 9 and go straight to 10. I realise now I never mentioned I was hopping straight from 8 to 10 in either in my DUC post or my ASC message.
I couldn't work out if this was "fixed" to be more stringent for other user's reasons I wasn't aware of, but it certainly has me distracted all day every day so far working in 10 and it would be nice to either correct it if it was changed in error, or at least offer a pref for this behaviour. I can only assume not many people set up their echo's this way if it hasn't been commented on previously.
Thanks for your continued help.
Tech Support:

Quote:
I'll get this logged and keep you posted of any developments.
Unfortunately, at this stage, I can't say when this will be fixed.
It needs to be fully investigated by our engineering team, i'll know more after they have had chance to look at it.
Issues that require fixes are rated and categorised into the following :

1) The amount of people affected by the issue, i.e. a small / large subset / all customers
2) How invasive the fix is.

So, please bear with us on this, i'll come back to you when I have more information.
Me:

Quote:
Thanks for the info mate. I initially thought something had gone fishy with my PT10 install, but it turns out it's behaving correctly. I suspect when the boys and girls were re-programming PT9 for ADC in the native format, they either had this on their list as a necessary addition to the delay reporting from user reports, or thought it was a good way to tighten up the reporting environment. It's a shame to always have the red DLY light on, as this is not a genuine case of an ADC error. It's fairly standard practice in a pro studio set up to use bouncing delays feeding each other back and forth, but I just need to keep my wits about me with regards to real ADC errors (still, a pref setting for this would be nice though).
Tech Support:

Quote:
We have delved a little deeper into this issue with development.
As you have experienced the illumination of the DLY light is fairly new.
It actually appeared for the first time in Pro Tools 9. Although, you would have missed this, going from version 8 - 10.

That said, ADC has always had to detect feedback loops as it is a recursive algorithm.
In Pro Tools 9.0 we added detection for non traversed (i.e. missed) parts of the mixer, and added status light for both cases.”
So we’ve always detected feedback loops but we didn’t start lighting the “Dly” indicator to inform the user until PT 9.0

In our discussions with engineering we mentioned the possibility (as you did) of having a switchable preference within Pro Tools to switch off feedback loop detection. At this stage it's too early to say if this will occur. But your suggestion has been well and truly noted.
So if you feel inspired, get onto Avid about a pref for this. Maybe we're the only ones who have come across this.

Cheers

Steve Bush
Old 11-29-2011, 05:49 PM

Default Re: HD10 Delay Compensation Red alert when opening older sessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post

So if you feel inspired, get onto Avid about a pref for this. Maybe we're the only ones who have come across this.

Cheers

Steve Bush
I have also experienced this bug and am glad to see that Avid has noted it. Thanks for helping us address this!