Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 10-09-2011, 12:28 AM

Default Delay Comp Red

Hi All, Got a little issue with the DLY showing red at the top(under the beats/bars etc.) but on every track its well under 4095 and are all green.

All plugs are RTAS.

Is this an issue? as it seems to be phasing or muddying certain sounds in the mix.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Delay Comp Red

Try deactivating Delay Comp and then reactivating and see if it stays green.
Pro Tools 10.0
Apogee Duet
M-Audio BX5A's
Old 10-09-2011, 02:53 AM

Do you have any feedback loops created anywhere? eg an aux track which sends/outputs to itself? This will cause the dly indicator to go red.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:02 PM

Thanks guys, I'll try it out and let you know. Have already tried deactivating the DC and reactivating it to no avail.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:23 PM

I had my Delay comp showing red when I had inactive outputs (with zero RTAS delay on the track display).
Reset the outputs, and all was good.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:28 PM

When its red it just means that the delay can't be correctly compensated. Either because of some bad routing in the session, or the delay comp engine isn't long enough.

if you hover your mouse over the red DLY indicator it should give you a hint as to what is wrong. (if you have your pro tools tips: function/details settings enabled)
Old 10-11-2011, 06:14 PM

I have the tool tips enabled, and they work for most functions, but no tip pops up when I mouse over the red DLY. I went to the mix window and showed the Delay Compensation view. Each track shows red, even if it has no plugins. The DLY is 0, the +/- is 0, and the cmp is 88. Only the Master Fader is orange, and it shows DLY of 1024, with the +/- and cmp fields blank.

This session has exhibited some odd behavior where clean DI guitars recorded at low levels are getting a crackle that sounds like clipping (Pod Farm plugin) even though the volume is low. I have a hunch there's a feedback loop or something, but because the tool tip isn't working, I have no idea where it is.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: OK, the instant after I posted this, I disabled the Maxim compression plugin on the Master Fader, and all the tracks went from red to green. I'll post later if the crackling/clipping is gone. Having that compression on the master is pretty important, though -- I hate to remove it permanently.

Thanks,

VC
Old 10-13-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipherdom View Post
I have the tool tips enabled, and they work for most functions, but no tip pops up when I mouse over the red DLY. I went to the mix window and showed the Delay Compensation view. Each track shows red, even if it has no plugins. The DLY is 0, the +/- is 0, and the cmp is 88. Only the Master Fader is orange, and it shows DLY of 1024, with the +/- and cmp fields blank.

This session has exhibited some odd behavior where clean DI guitars recorded at low levels are getting a crackle that sounds like clipping (Pod Farm plugin) even though the volume is low. I have a hunch there's a feedback loop or something, but because the tool tip isn't working, I have no idea where it is.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: OK, the instant after I posted this, I disabled the Maxim compression plugin on the Master Fader, and all the tracks went from red to green. I'll post later if the crackling/clipping is gone. Having that compression on the master is pretty important, though -- I hate to remove it permanently.

Thanks,

VC
Make a stereo Aux, call it your sub master. Put your mix buss comp on that. Route all to that sub m, route the sub m where ever you like, main outs, print track . . . ect .
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~