Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 06-22-2013, 05:51 PM

Default Demo Won't Activate

Downloaded and installed the new license manager (55mb) and all my licenses still show up as normal. I'll install PT 11 next and see what happens.

Note: PT 11 is incompatible with my earlier PT 10 demo, so I have to remove that (or update v10 which I won't do) before installing PT 11, otherwise the installer won't continue, will just tell you "incompatible version".

PT 11 Demo Install: Timed it with my iPhone stopwatch. The installer ran for 13.5 minutes, which feels like an eternity compared to my other hosts It asks to restart, I do that and launch.

First Launch:I previously manually activated my PT 11 iLok licences in the License Manger and when launched PT asked to activate, and failed. So I went to "deactivate" those licenses on my iLok to see if that would work. It's just kind of sitting there for a long time doing nothing... :) ... saying "Operation In Progress"... so I quit the license manager.

Reassurance Test: Ran my other DAW's to be sure my iLok plugs were still showing up, and they are. (whew! :))

PT 11 Won't Activate: Maybe because (no clue) I activated the licenses manaully in the License Manager first? They show up on my iLok with a valid activation date but I can't launch PT, it keeps trying to activate and failing.

Deactivate?: I figure (maybe?) if I deactivate it will move the license from the iLok back to my account and then maybe the PT launch activation will work. It just sits here doing nothing for long periods of time...

So in short, I spent about 3 hours downloading the demo files, wasted another 30+ minutes trying to actually run the thing and it won't run.

On the plus side, my other licenses didn't get corrupted.

Not sure what to do now to actually get PT 11 to launch.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Demo Won't Activate

I've run the PT10 demo several times in PT11 so I don't think that is your problem.

Pace has had some weird problems. A little testing before launch would have been a good idea.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:43 PM

From what I have read on here, the PT 11 demo does not require an iLok license...you just start it, enter your iLok ID when requested, and go.

Do a search on here for more info...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-23-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
From what I have read on here, the PT 11 demo does not require an iLok license...you just start it, enter your iLok ID when requested, and go.

Do a search on here for more info...
So why does AVID put a demo iLok license in your account if it doesn't require an iLok license?

At any rate, I can't launch the demo, it won't activate, even though I have valid demo licenses in my iLok account... as you can clearly see the iLok license in the screenshot in the first post?
Old 06-23-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post
I've run the PT10 demo several times in PT11 so I don't think that is your problem.

Pace has had some weird problems. A little testing before launch would have been a good idea.
I suppose. I don't even have PT 10 installed. I'm only trying to demo PT 11.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
I believe that's incorrect. If you do that you get the error message 'This license can only be activated to an iLok2'
Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjohn View Post
I believe that's incorrect. If you do that you get the error message 'This license can only be activated to an iLok2'
Are you installing the "demo" download or the "real deal" download. From what I have read on here there is a difference.

Downloading the "demo" version was the method being used to run PT 11 by those who were having iLok problems....
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-23-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpressMix View Post
I suppose. I don't even have PT 10 installed. I'm only trying to demo PT 11.
Since PT10 sessions can be opened in PT11, I'm not sure what the problem could be. I did have difficulty downloading the PT11 demo, that's why I used the PT10 demo since I already had that on my computer.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:30 AM

No you still need an ilok2 for the demo. The reason it is good for those having problems is that you don't have to surrender anything to get it and you can download it onto a spare ilok to keep you with a working protools (10 and 11) while the ilok problems get sorted.

I have PT10+CPTK on my main ilok. I put the HD11 demo on my ilok2 so I have essentially done the upgrade already without risking anything on my main ilok, or spending any money. I now have 30 days to decide whether to keep it, at which point I'll have to pay for it.

The software is the same, it's just the licence that is different.