Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2003, 05:33 AM

Default New P4 2.8GHz system, new XP install, Digi001 installed, PT fails launch with DAE -4

Hey all,

After getting a measly 9 tracks on the davec test with my old Dell P3 500 and needing some more horsepower for upcoming sessions, I decided to get a new system. Here it is:

- Intel D845PESVL mobo
- Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
- (2) CRUCIAL MICRON 512MB 64x64 PC 2700 DDR RAM
- Enermax EG465P-VE(FM) 430W power supply
- 20GB Western Digital 7200RPM EIDE hard drive (system)
- 80GB Western Digital "Special Edition" 7200RPM EIDE hard drive (audio)
- Mitsumi D359M3 FDD 1.44MB 3.5" floppy drive
- Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW Model LTR-52246
- Matrox G450 Millenium
- Chieftec blue server chassis w/ side window
(everything from NewEgg.com -- really top-notch online retailer)

Whoa, this thing really FLIES!! I was hoping to get some davec numbers to post, but as the subject states, I cannot get PTLE to launch -- right after the splash screen, I get a DAE -4 error, and then PT goes away. I have Win98SE on the old P3 500 machine, and the same hardware connected to that system only ten minutes earlier worked just fine, so I'm pretty sure my hardware is okay.

I did some searching and found some things to try. Here's what I've done so far:

- tried the Digi001 PCI card in PCI slots 2 (first try), 1 (second try), and 3 (third try) -- same DAE -4 error every time

- tried manually assigning an IRQ priority (of 9 or 11) to the PCI slot in which the Digi001 card is insterted in the BIOS -- but when I inspect the Digi001 device later on in the device manager, it's got IRQ 23, or 18, or... like my IRQ reqest has been ignored. Also, the device manager reports that the card is installed on "PCI bus 2." Does the Digi001 have to be on PCI bus 1, if the system has more that one PCI bus? (I don't know much about this stuff)

- looked for PCI parity settings in the BIOS to turn off, as per Digi's instructions, but didn't see any. Anyone with experience with this mobo (Intel D845PESV) or Intel BIOS know if the PCI parity settings might be buried somewhere non-obvious? Rock Artist, you reading this? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

If anyone has ideas, please share! I was totally psyched, and now, a little frustrated...

Thanks in advance!

Brian
Old 03-13-2003, 05:45 AM

Default Re: New P4 2.8GHz system, new XP install, Digi001 installed, PT fails launch with DAE -4

Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'll be setting up a similar machine this weekend.

You mentioned that your old machine is running Win98se. You have installed PTLE 5.3.x on the new machine, right? That's the only version that will run on XP.

Marc
Old 03-13-2003, 05:53 AM

Default Re: New P4 2.8GHz system, new XP install, Digi001 installed, PT fails launch with DAE -4

Quote:
Originally posted by mlemos:
Hi Brian,
You mentioned that your old machine is running Win98se. You have installed PTLE 5.3.x on the new machine, right? That's the only version that will run on XP.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey Marc,

Yeah, 5.3.1, I believe. Downloaded it from the Digidesign Win XP PTLE downloads area. Thanks for the thought, though! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Keep the replies coming!

Brian
Old 03-13-2003, 05:59 AM

Brian,

Have you checked device manager and sound and audio devices in the control panel? Did you also install the Wavedriver or Asio driver?

I found some information on the error you're getting. In one case it was caused by a faulty hard drive. Check it out:

http://answerbase.digidesign.com/detail.cfm?DID=25336

Marc
Old 03-13-2003, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Brian,
Have you checked device manager and sound and audio devices in the control panel? Did you also install the Wavedriver or Asio driver?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, Digi001 shows up in there, with no reported problems or anything. However, in the "resources" tab for the Digi001 it shows an IRQ of 18, or 23 (depending on PCI slot, it seems), even if I've manually set an IRQ of 9 or 11 for that PCI slot in the BIOS.

I have not installed the Wave or Asio drivers yet, as I had planned to get PTLE up and running first. I was planning on installing the Wave Driver afterwards, though. But I supposed I could install the Wave Driver and try playing some sound through Out1-2 just to see if that works, eh? Hmmm...

I found some information on the error you're getting. In one case it was caused by a faulty hard drive. Check it out:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmmm... My first 20GB Western Digital hard drive was actually defective -- just made loud clicking sounds and system wouldn't boot with it connected. Newegg.com replaced it no problem and this one seems fine. I did a full NTFS format when installing XP with no problems, so hopefully this drive is okay...

Thanks for the reply!

Brian
Old 03-13-2003, 06:27 AM

Brian,

The reason I was asking if you'd installed the wavedriver or asio driver was that they could have been causing a problem so don't install them until PTLE is working OK.

It seems like one way to know if it's your hard drive is to try a low level format. If that fails then you may want to replace the hard drive. It would take a while and you'd have to reinstall everything but you would know whether or not it's your drive that's causing the problem.

Marc
Old 03-13-2003, 06:29 AM

Quote:

It seems like one way to know if it's your hard drive is to try a low level format. If that fails then you may want to replace the hard drive. It would take a while and you'd have to reinstall everything but you would know whether or not it's your drive that's causing the problem.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely consider that as a last resort... BTW, how does one perform a "low level format?"

Brian
Old 03-13-2003, 06:36 AM

Brian,

When you set up XP it asks if you want to format the install partition by 'quick format'or a full format. Choose the regular NTFS format, not the quick format. Do you remember if that's what you selected when you first set up XP?

Marc
Old 03-13-2003, 06:44 AM

Quote:
When you set up XP it asks if you want to format the install partition by 'quick format'or a full format. Choose the regular NTFS format, not the quick format. Do you remember if that's what you selected when you first set up XP?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I did a regular/full NTFS format, not quick. So I suppose I can rule out a hard drive problem...

Brian
Old 03-13-2003, 08:07 AM

Hey Brian,
I would make sure you downloaded all the latest chipset drivers for this motherboard first. Then I'd try reinstalling PTLE after removing all the components first including the drivers in Device Manager. When you reboot and new hardware found window pops up that is when you start the PTLE install. Leave this window open when installing the software. Actually mine detected the program as soon as I put it in the CD drive. That step is crucial. Lastly I'd disconnect any thing you have sharing the cable with this hard drive and see if it helps. I hope that helps as I've never come across this error.
Allen