Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2018, 07:16 AM

Default No audio from random tracks during playback

Ok, here is my issue. I recorded 9 tracks, (doesn't matter how many tracks on a test basis). Pro tools records them fine, but when I hit spacebar to listen to playback, only sometimes will it play. It's completely random to what tracks play or do not. I can hit spacebar again or sometimes several times, then it will magically play. Infuriating. I have a late 2013 Mac pro(6 core, 64 ram) a Goliath interface, also a raven touch screen. And I'm running pro tools 2018. I've literally tried everything, Called Tech Support. We trashed preferences, completely uninstalled pro tools went back to an earlier version. Unplugged Goliath ,unplugged raven. Removed plug ins. Same issue in earlier version. I've read earlier messages about other users with this issue too. But usually to no avail either. Does anybody have any clue what can be done?

Last edited by DigiTechSupt; 07-26-2018 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Updated Title to reflect issue.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:29 AM

Default Re: No audio from random tracks during playback

When it doesn't work, does hitting "0" on the keypad work, assuming that you have access to a keypad?
Old 07-26-2018, 09:36 AM

Well its not a keyboard issue. Time line still scrolls. Some tracks play others do not. Hit play again and other tracks play and others do not. Hit play again same problems. It seems to be completely random when it chooses to play audio. The meters do not move on certain instances. Then play again and then it registers again. seems to be completely random when it does this.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:00 AM

Does it make a difference if the playlists are visible or not? I have seen an issue where PT seems to ignore commands when tracking stereo with the playlists visible.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:20 AM

Is it only this 9-track session ? or all sessions ?

Have you tried making a new session (perhaps at a different sample-rate) and creating just one track. See if it works reliably. If it does, increase it to 2 tracks, and so on. Be methodical. Find the failure point.

Your system should be capable of hundreds of tracks, so if it fails after all this then there must be some basic physical problem such as bad RAM, or SSD, etc.

A full system spec of hardware (model #'s etc), operating system, additional software, etc would be useful for anyone trying to help you.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:55 PM

I thought it might be bad ram too. Sys report says memory and drives ok. Other DAWs work fine. It's not just that 9track session, I made a new session and recorded 4 tracks. Same issue. See vid.
https://youtu.be/mjPwl1MTSoI
I recalled sessions from about a month ago, and they all play fine.
This is a new development since upgrading to 2018.4. But when I went back to 12.1 same issue.
I watched tech support take long distance control of my computer for hours and they tried literally everything before giving up. They said they were going to go over the logs and get back to me.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:21 PM

After exhausting every idea, Tech support thinks I might have a corrupted HD. Although everything else works fine. They suggest that I make a new partition and install OS and a fresh PT.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:25 PM

https://youtu.be/mjPwl1MTSoI

Here is video of the issue.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:27 PM

Thanks for posting the video. It makes more sense now.

Is there anything of interest being logged in either the Pro Tools logs or the OS system logs when this happens?
Old 07-26-2018, 08:13 PM

When you wrote "unplugged Goliath" did you try with the built in audio card as the playback engine?