Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2002, 04:33 PM

Default so which sample libraries are good???

A few days ago we discussed the best samplers to buy (for me it's come down to SSC, Giga Studio, and an akai z4). All of these read both akai and roland sample files. The problem is these are old libraries, and I'm just getting into this stuff. I'm in NewOrleans with no where to test before buying. What are the best libraries or single discs in any of the above formats. (I may buy more than one sampler).

Is buying sample libraries better than getting dedicated ROM blocks in Kurzweil, Triton Roland 5080 etc... What are the best sound sources. Are is it best to use a hybrid of both??
Old 07-22-2002, 08:53 PM

Default Re: so which sample libraries are good???

ILIO and Spectrasonics!!!
Old 07-22-2002, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Still No SSL Yet:
A few days ago we discussed the best samplers to buy (for me it's come down to SSC, Giga Studio, and an akai z4). All of these read both akai and roland sample files. The problem is these are old libraries, and I'm just getting into this stuff. I'm in NewOrleans with no where to test before buying. What are the best libraries or single discs in any of the above formats. (I may buy more than one sampler).

Is buying sample libraries better than getting dedicated ROM blocks in Kurzweil, Triton Roland 5080 etc... What are the best sound sources. Are is it best to use a hybrid of both??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The strongest sampler out there is Gigastudio. There is nothing like it. The libraries for it are the best. That said, there are plenty of great sounds for the Roland, etc, but you can have access to all these with Giga using Chicken System's Translator program.

Best libraries are going to depend on what you are into, but the standouts are:

Garriton Strings
Purfect Drums
Sonic Implants Strings
and the brass, rare instruments, and VOTA libraries by Nick Phoenix, sold via EAST WEST (Sounds Online.)

All will set you back a healthy amount. Whether expansion boards are good enough for you only you can say. For some things, they may be fine. The 5080 is a great box, but is a pain in rear to use as far as sample playback is concerned. I'm sure the AKAI is a bit easier. But neither are even close in power to GIGA.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:09 PM

I second the GigaStudio motion.

The sample libraries are just more realistic because of the technology involved, streaming from disk, not limited to RAM. Some others are begining to use this, but Giga is far ahead right now.

Go to www.soundsonline.com

Check out the Giga section and compare it to the other sections. In addition to comparing size, download the demos. Here is where you can listen to some of the sounds available before you buy.

Go to www.tascam.com and check out the Giga site. Check out the users. Go to the forums and ask some questions of the users. Check out the features that GigaStudio has.

Giga gives you access to almost all the other companies' libraries. But the libraries that are maximized for Giga have some performance control features that are just unlike any other.

There's my 2 cents.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 07-24-2002, 12:49 AM

For new fresh sounds you should really check out SampleTank:

http://www.sampletank.com

There are currently more than 3.000 native sounds available plus you can import AKAI CDs and it's a plug-in for your PT system.

--------
Old 07-24-2002, 02:48 PM

ProDoctor - Do you work for SampleTank?

It's all very well to have native this and that and SCC - but we're still facing the need to have a sequencer running in the background (via IAC or whatever) because the MIDI timing errors in PT appear to be random, rather than a simple off-set.

Until that is fixed, the question should be "which sample playback system works given the constraint of having to run PT + a sequencer" for MIDI timing. THAT sort of suggests that the GIGA idea (even tho it involves a silly windoze machine) is probably on track.

2 Australian pesos
Old 07-24-2002, 06:17 PM

Man I don't mind buying another computer, and I do sequencing in the MPC2000xl. I just want the best sounds available It seems like this is gonna be the Giga sampler plus a few modules

So far I like this
NI Pro tools bundle (Pro 52 and B4
Giga sampler's Garritan Strings, Bosenfdorfer Piano, Quantam Leap Brass, and the Miroslav Vitous orchestra. I think this will replace a Kurzweil K2600 with sample library.

I have a rhodes that I'll eventually finish sampling (my samples sound better than any library on it I've ever heard)

Now I only need a wurly and maybe a triton or Mophat.

I'm gonna be borrowing an SE-1 for sampling soon. Do you all think sampling it in thirds will be cool???? What do ya'll think of the soundset I'm going far any suggestions??

I'm doing Hip Hop and RnB but It's just like any other music I need good high quality strings, brass, grand piano, B3, wurly, rhodes
Old 07-24-2002, 06:20 PM

Man I don't mind buying another computer, and I do sequencing in the MPC2000xl. I just want the best sounds available It seems like this is gonna be the Giga sampler plus a few modules

So far I like this
NI Pro tools bundle (Pro 52 and B4
Giga sampler's Garritan Strings, Bosenfdorfer Piano, Quantam Leap Brass, and the Miroslav Vitous orchestra. I think this will replace a Kurzweil K2600 with sample library.

I have a rhodes that I'll eventually finish sampling (my samples sound better than any library on it I've ever heard)

Now I only need a wurly and maybe a triton or Mophat.

I'm gonna be borrowing an SE-1 for sampling soon. Do you all think sampling it in thirds will be cool???? What do ya'll think of the soundset I'm going far any suggestions??

I'm doing Hip Hop and RnB but It's just like any other music I need good high quality strings, brass, grand piano, B3, wurly, rhodes