Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2009, 08:02 AM

Default Magic ID does not match....

I went to open a session yesterday and got this message: Could not complete the Open Session... command because magic ID does not match while translating Session Window Config.

Now I had already been working for hours and just went to open another session when this happened. Then I proceeded to try to open other sessions and they opened fine. Then through my trouble shooting I found that if I newly saved any session the problem would now spread to that session. I can't save any sessions now.

I've done trouble shooting with sessions on 4 different drives including the Main HD. I've repaired permissions, repaired Disk. I've trashed all the usual preferences and Digidesign Data bases.

I'm at a lose now. Has anybody run into this? By the way I am on Protools 8.

NEED HELP. I'm totally screwed if I can't get this fixed by tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Magic ID does not match....

Search Magic ID.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:02 AM

Nothing that i've found in my searches have been helpful. I just figured out that the sessions are not necessarily fully corrupt. I can take the same session that will not open in 8 and put it on a computer that is running 7.3.4 and it opens just fine. Then if a Save it in 7.3 and bring it back to the 8 computer it opens again. But if I save it again it becomes corrupt to 8. Just the weirdest thing I've seen in all my years working on protools. I hope I haven't just stumbled on a major quirk with the new 8 software.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:27 AM

From the Digibase...

Quote:
Pro Tools 5.1 and later stamps each file that it records with a unique id. This way if there are several audio files on a system with identical names (i.e. "audio_01"), the session will know which its looking for. When Pro Tools can't link to a file and asks to locate it, the "require unique id" box can be checked if desired.
and

Quote:
When opening a session I get an error message stating the session has the wrong "Magic ID".

This has been reported when saving Pro Tools Sessions to a Firewire Hard Drive that has incompatible or damaged formatting. Try re-initializing the Firewire Drive with the Mac OS "Erase Disk" function (under the Special menu), then attempt the Save Session As again.

Also, make sure that the Firewire drive meets Digidesign's recommended minimum specifications.
I'm thinking that it's likely Corrupt Database / Volume files. Try running the "ProTools Pref and Database Helper" app in the Troubleshooting sticky from the "LE OSX FORUM" to Automatically trash all these files, or if you're troubleshooting Savvy, and know where all your Database / Volumes / and preferences files and folders on your system are... Trash them all manually.

It's likely reading on your 7.4 system, because your database files are not corrupt on that system.

if that fails, and does not fix the problem. I'd safely Backup ALL sessions off the drive they're on, rePartition and Format the drive in OS X Disk Utility, and move the sessions back on to the drive.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 02-15-2009, 12:04 PM

Thanks, I've done all the trashing of prefs etc. already. I'm just not convinced that it is a drive issue yet. I've tried opening and saving on 4 different firewire drives with no success. I've also tried the same on the main hd with no success. I'm feeling that this is an 8 bug that is just appearing. The one thing that changed in the system is that I updated Quicktime yesterday. I'm starting to feel that this has something to do with the problem being that quicktime is very integrated into protools. I'm at a bit of a loss and I think i need to get a digi expert on the phone before I do anymore drastic steps.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:34 PM

Hi,

this really sounds familiar, and I'm quite sure it's a leopard
problem. Check the thread from January the 7th by the name
of "PT8 Problem with Magic ID" (I'm on iPhone and can't copy
paste). I was just as desperate then and repairing from the installation
disk and clean-installing leopard did the trick.
Good luck,

Martin

http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/index2.html
http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/vita.html
www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 02-15-2009, 02:34 PM

Thanks, it's starting to look like that's what I need to do. It's just such a weird problem to come out of nowhere. I would understand if something happened in the system before it came up.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:18 PM

Question for anybody that has had this problem. Do you remember if you updated quicktime through the software updater before this happened to you? I'm just trying to come up with a possible reason that it is happening to help tech support. This is the only change that I made in the system during the whole day, so it is the only thing that I can point to at this point.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:33 PM

magic ID has been a problem in 7.4 as well. I've found that it often means that the session is hosed and you should go back to a previous version...
Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 AM

ProTools uses quicktime for various things. I wouldn't be surprised if that update wrecked something.

Try creating a new session and Import Session Data from the old one. If you're lucky you'll get everything back up to your last save.