Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 11:37 AM

Default Re: 6101 and 9128 CPU overload errors with 1 track

11 days since I answered all the questions, and no response? I guess PTMP is worthless to me. Time to ditch my copy, and my m-audio interface, and discourage everyone I meet from using m-audio or PTMP.

Sad that pro tools is the "industry standard". I can't for the life of me see why.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:59 PM

Default Re: 6101 and 9128 CPU overload errors with 1 track!!!

Hi Organik,

I think theres glitches with the probably all of Native Instruments plugins and Pro Tools 7 M-Powered at the moment.

Im running Pro Tools M-Powered 7.0c3 with most of the Native Instruments plugins (ive got Komplete 3) on a dual 2.3ghz g5, buffer set to 512

With just a single audio track and single midi track, while the song is playing i can get those cpu errors everytime if i do the following:

1) Reaktor with Carbon 2 Ensemble loaded - Change the filter type, or anything but knobs
2) B4 II - by turning the bank knob on the left hand side

Ive heard that theres work going on between Native Instruments and Digidesign.

My guess is the new RTAS engine in PT7 is a bit buggy these will be ironed out with 7.1

Unfortunately, gone are the days where the first version of software is solid.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Re: 6101 and 9128 CPU overload errors with 1 track

It's a good thing for me that PT isn't my primary DAW...

waiting....
Old 02-06-2006, 11:03 PM

DigiTechSupt - Is it possible to recieve some feedback regarding this?

Its obvious there is a problem here. Can you confirm where the problem lies and when a resolution will be reached?

If theres any tests you would like carried out, I would be happy to do this.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2006, 08:18 AM

Hi everybody,

I've noticed I had this problems essentially with BFD. I use ProTools LE with Digi002 (firewire) on a PowerMac G5 dual 2,7Ghz and I have those kind of error messages. Skot & Gareth from Fxpansion told me that firewire ports of G5s and BFD don't play nice together... Firewire ports and PCI bus share bandwidth, PCI-X bus is not shared in the same way...
So their suggestion is to connect the Digi 002 on a PCI-X Firewire controller card.
Don't know if this can help ... ?

Digi Tech, can you confirm that ?

Les Tambours du Bronx
RE_ORG
Old 02-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Avid

I'm going to try to address everyone's questions as much as I can.

Brandymania1 - We have over a dozen systems in this department along running PTMP without problems. The reality is that we have come across this problem and, in almost every situation, it's been attributed to incompatible plug-ins or a system configuration issue, which is why I asked the very specific questions that I did. For whatever reason, people seem to insist that they won't have problems when using imcompatible plug-ins or not configuring their computers properly, despite every possible warning we give them.

There are some known issues with certain softsynth/sampler plug-ins and we are working with the manufacturers to improve performance with these. As long as you're using current versions, though, the problems you may encounter shouldn't be show-stoppers.

Organik - I want to make this very clear that we're not trying to put you through any more trouble than necessary, but if we cannot get clear, concise answers to questions, it's going to be very difficult to troubleshoot your system. I can see from your reply that a critical element is missing from your reply to my request - the version number of each of the plug-ins you have installed. From the list of plug-ins you have, it is almost assuredly a plug-in compatibility issue that you're experiencing. I cannot stress this enough - you need to verify that the plug-in versions you have installed are compatible with Pro Tools 7 or remove them from your plug-ins folder. There is no other way around this - if you insist on keeping incompatible plug-ins installed, then you can pretty much guarantee that your system performance is not going to improve. I know that SoundSoap is one plug-in that is not compatible, unless Bias has come out with an update for it since I last checked. ESB and EXS24 also absolutely need to be removed. There are several others that are very questionable as well. Again - check all of these, remove the ones that are not compatible or are still in question and try everything again. There is a huge difference between an AU version working in Logic and an RTAS version working in Pro Tools - one does not qualify the other.

Regarding your Startup Items, remove the following and test the system again:

BroadbandOptimizer
DNSUpdate
Macaroni
OpenBase
OSXvnc
PureFTPD
Qmaster
QuickBackStartupItem

If I'm not mistaken, Macaroni is definitely one startup item that can cause problems. The others I'm not sure about, but best to remove them while using Pro Tools, at least until you can verify that they do not cause any conflicts.

Let us know if the testing resolves any issues.

Re Org - I have not heard of this. I will try contacting FXPansion for clarification.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:48 AM

Thanx. Please, let me know...

Les Tambours du Bronx
RE_ORG
Old 02-08-2006, 03:58 AM

Hi DigiTechSupt,

Thanks for your feedback.

I have just run the following test:

1) Removed all plugins from plugins dir except for Reaktor v5.1.0.010
2) Launched pro tools, created a single midi and audio track and added Reaktor with Carbon 2 ensemble.
3) Started the session playing and changed filter type or other parameters on Reaktor. This produces:

CPU Error -9128

(this test produces the same result every time). It takes very little to cause this error.

Also have similar issues with B4 II v2.0.0.007

Some information on my system:

Mac OSX 10.4.4 (also happened on 10.4.3)
Dual 2.3Ghz G5
1GB RAM
System Preferences setup as per Pro Tools Manual (such as power saving etc)

My audio card is M-Audio Audiophile 2496

Things I have tried:
Increasing/decreasing buffer size 128, 256,512, 1024 - makes no difference
Changing number of processors from 2 to 1 - makes no difference

Is there anything else I should do? Or is this an issue with Pro Tools itself?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2006, 06:57 AM

Dear Digi,

where can I find the list of Plug-In versions which are compatible with PTLE and PTMP 7? I searched knowledgebase and stuff, found a few links to http://www.digidesign.com/developers/plugin_info/ which doesn't indicate versions.

BTW: what is LE? Light Edition?
Old 02-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Avid

Quote:
Hi DigiTechSupt,

Thanks for your feedback.

I have just run the following test:

1) Removed all plugins from plugins dir except for Reaktor v5.1.0.010
2) Launched pro tools, created a single midi and audio track and added Reaktor with Carbon 2 ensemble.
3) Started the session playing and changed filter type or other parameters on Reaktor. This produces:

CPU Error -9128

I've been able to reproduce this as well. It's difficult to say if this is a Pro Tools issue or a problem with the Reaktor 5 plug-in, but we'll look into it and report it to NI.