Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2010, 05:14 AM

Default Re: which school is better?

as a Student at a florida recording arts school (IADT Tampa... don't laugh) everyone that has xferred from Full Sail to IADT says the facilities are wonderful... however 99% of the time the individuals were just cramming for tests and not really learning . Get'em in and getm out.

While after nearly 3 years at my current school, I find the current state of the program of 'recording arts' questioable, I'm confident to say I took SOMETHING away from each non gen ed class there.

Let it be understanding how mics work, or basics of accoustics, voltage for gear, or even how a session recording SHOULD be run.

All in all, OP, take a tour of the chicago facility, ask how long each quarter/term is? (IADT is now only 10 weeks w/ only 1 week break in between each term)

If its less than 9 weeks, I couldn't imagine attending. Remember, its not what you learn... its what you RETAIN after you leave.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:41 AM

I'd try to get into Eastman, Indiana, USC or NYU. Your classmates will be future artists, musicians and managers who are likely to hire recording engineers and producers. That's a lot more useful to a career than going to school with future studio assistants.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
For that, all you need to do is move to LA. Even in winter it's summer out here! Yesterday (January 28th) it was 70ºF and sunny. I was driving my convertible with the top down.
It was -15ºF here a few days ago, now we're having a heatwave... 10ºF!!!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd123 View Post
for many people here, may mean having to live long periods of time away from loved ones, etc.
That's true for many in the business

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 PM

I am a graduate of Full Sail(2004) and while I was hesitant at first I figured that it might help you gain a bit of perspective on all of this if I shared my experience.

It does basically all boil down to what albee said regarding your mindset and while I have only been to one of these schools I'm pretty sure it applies to any perspective school that you might be looking at. By the time I went to Full Sail I was in my late twenties and had already spent a fair amount of time studying recording on my own so when I went I knew without a doubt that Engineering was what I wanted to do with my life. When things weren't covered in class that I wanted to know, I would chase down Instructors in the halls and camp out outside of their offices. What I am saying is that I made sure that I got what I came for.

When I attended there was a tendency for the instructors to teach to the lowest common denominator. There are a lot of kids that attend Full Sail simply because their parents told them that they had to go to College and picked Full Sail because they knew they liked music even if they had no idea if they wanted anything to do with the industry.
There were also a number of kids who went that were there because they wanted to learn how to make "fat beats". These are their words not mine. This actually became a bit of a running joke amongst instructors and students mainly because learning how to make beats was simply not a part of the curriculum.

Over a period of time some of these lowest common denominators get weeded out because of low grades etc. but many continue on all the way through graduation. The aforementioned students are the reason why some facilities will not hire Full Sail Graduates unfortunately but that is a whole other story.

Upon graduation, I opened up a facility along with two of my former Instructors and feel like I learned what I set out to learn and got my moneys worth. Had I not been focused and diligent in my pursuit however, things could have easily gone the other way.

Just my 2 cents..... You get out of it what you put into it.

I hope that is of some help. I by no means wanted to come across as preachy. Good luck in your endeavors!!
UA610 pre's / Chameleon Labs 7602mkII pre's / Chameleon labs 7802 stereo opto tube compressor/ Mackie hr824 monitors