Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Re: best atx pts computer

Quote:
Yes you can build a Quad with a standard case. I think the Tyan motherboard will allow for this. Check the Quadzilla thread for dimensions, or www.newegg.com

Allen

Thanks Allen. Your the best.
I just got my old computer back from the shop. It had bad ram so I upgraded to 2 gigs and reformated the hard drive. I think I will wait a bit before upgrading to the quad. Im kind of looking at the mac pro. Never used a mac before. Looks nice. Anyway my computers running great, but I have a new problem. Reinstalled pts 7.1 started installing my plugins when protools stopped recognizing the digi002 rack. Gives me a error message something like "cant comunicate with 002 make sure hardware is conected and retry" it seems as though the digirack its self is frozen. The only light that comes on is the mute button. When I press the buttons nothing happens the light stays on. I just cant win. Any thoughts?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes you can build a Quad with a standard case. I think the Tyan motherboard will allow for this. Check the Quadzilla thread for dimensions, or www.newegg.com

Allen

Thanks Allen. Your the best.
I just got my old computer back from the shop. It had bad ram so I upgraded to 2 gigs and reformated the hard drive. I think I will wait a bit before upgrading to the quad. Im kind of looking at the mac pro. Never used a mac before. Looks nice. Anyway my computers running great, but I have a new problem. Reinstalled pts 7.1 started installing my plugins when protools stopped recognizing the digi002 rack. Gives me a error message something like "cant comunicate with 002 make sure hardware is conected and retry" it seems as though the digirack its self is frozen. The only light that comes on is the mute button. When I press the buttons nothing happens the light stays on. I just cant win. Any thoughts?
That is a question to put on a seperate thread in this forum. I'm thinking a bad power harness or firewire cable? You might want to do a search for harness as these are very common issues with the 002 and 002r.

Allen
Old 01-13-2007, 03:36 PM

Thanks again Allan.

I found the harness thing. What about the mac pro?
Old 01-13-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks again Allan.

I found the harness thing. What about the mac pro?
Not sure a new computer is going to fix what is going on right now. I think you have a Digi hardware issue. I'd get that figured out first and then decide if you need a new computer. Mac Pro is a good one although a MacBook or MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo would be my first choice unless you have a seperate sound room.

Allen
Old 01-16-2007, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

hi allen,
after a very long hiatus from the music biz im jumping back in full force.
the last time i used pt was when i was using my 001 w/ my 733mhz g4..

i am interested in purchasing this system to use for pt. i am a little strapped and on a budget and am getting a really good deal on this system. please let me know if i will have problems running pt on it.
i plan on using either a mbox2, mpowered, or maybe even a 002.
here are the computer specs.

Antec Lanboy case W/ Side window
Aerocool Zerodba 620W SLI modular cabling power supply
Samsung 18X Superburner with lightscribe
Three 160gb SATA 3.0Gb/s 7200rpm hard drives in raid-5 for 320Gb of storage
Ausu P5ND2-SLI motherboard
(great great board! major overclock opportunities, SLI , SATA raid, LOADED!)
Pentium-D 830 Dual core 3.0ghz cpu. With upgraded Asus VR Guard cooling system.
(2 3.0ghz cores on one chip!)
1GB DDR2 RAM 2X512mb modules
One Nvidia 7900GTX 512mb GDDR3 PCIe video card.
of course i would be having firewire ports and usb ports

help with this would be greatly appreciated
thank you
Old 01-16-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
hi allen,
after a very long hiatus from the music biz im jumping back in full force.
the last time i used pt was when i was using my 001 w/ my 733mhz g4..

i am interested in purchasing this system to use for pt. i am a little strapped and on a budget and am getting a really good deal on this system. please let me know if i will have problems running pt on it.
i plan on using either a mbox2, mpowered, or maybe even a 002.
here are the computer specs.

Antec Lanboy case W/ Side window
Aerocool Zerodba 620W SLI modular cabling power supply
Samsung 18X Superburner with lightscribe
Three 160gb SATA 3.0Gb/s 7200rpm hard drives in raid-5 for 320Gb of storage
Ausu P5ND2-SLI motherboard
(great great board! major overclock opportunities, SLI , SATA raid, LOADED!)
Pentium-D 830 Dual core 3.0ghz cpu. With upgraded Asus VR Guard cooling system.
(2 3.0ghz cores on one chip!)
1GB DDR2 RAM 2X512mb modules
One Nvidia 7900GTX 512mb GDDR3 PCIe video card.
of course i would be having firewire ports and usb ports

help with this would be greatly appreciated
thank you
All I can say is that this is a crap shoot at this time. I haven't seen this motherboard used with PTLE yet. Looks like an awesome gaming machine though. How much $ is this machine?

Allen
Old 01-17-2007, 08:04 AM

I have protools LE 6.4 OO2 Rack and I am getting a new Desktop. I have a Gateway that has been performing very well over the last couple years but it is time to upgrade. I will likely upgrade to v7.3 when I set up the new CPU...

I was contemplating doing a custom job like you all have been describing, but i came across a good deal with an HP Pavillion. I have read the compatablility documents extensively, and this cpu seems to be OK.

HP Pavilion a1644x Minitower
Intel Pentium D Processor 915, 2.8GHz, 1GB RAM, 300GB Hard Drive, 16X DVD+/-RW Drive, Windows XP Professional

link: (http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...644x_Minitower)

However, in the compatibility documents, there is a specific statement about HP Pavillions: "Some HP Pavilion models do not meet the minimum requirements as listed in these compatibility documents". Is there something I am looking over or that I need to look out for...what do you suggest?

Thanks A Million!
Justin
Old 01-17-2007, 04:26 PM

Hello Allen

I have been running a pro tools le rack system off of a 12inch mac powerbook for over a year now and I have had nothing but problems. I found out after someone recommended it to me that the internal disk drive doesn't even spin fast enough to run pro tools properly(multipul audio tracks caused constant dae errors because of this). I tried fixing it with an external hard drive but it has caused me to loose all of my songs on a number of occasions so I dont want to use that set up anymore.

I came accross your quadzilla post via google and I despratlly want to build it but i noticed that origional post was quite some time ago. I signed up to this site just to ask you if those parts are still up to date, if so are there any upgrades you suggest? I also plan to use this computer for the internet and school work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kalen
Old 01-17-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Hello Allen

I have been running a pro tools le rack system off of a 12inch mac powerbook for over a year now and I have had nothing but problems. I found out after someone recommended it to me that the internal disk drive doesn't even spin fast enough to run pro tools properly(multipul audio tracks caused constant dae errors because of this). I tried fixing it with an external hard drive but it has caused me to loose all of my songs on a number of occasions so I dont want to use that set up anymore.

I came accross your quadzilla post via google and I despratlly want to build it but i noticed that origional post was quite some time ago. I signed up to this site just to ask you if those parts are still up to date, if so are there any upgrades you suggest? I also plan to use this computer for the internet and school work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kalen
I actually just updated that post this week. Should have the date at the top of the post. The Quadzilla thread is a great place for current info on the Quad AMD setup also. There is a little Quad community going there.

Allen
Old 01-18-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I have protools LE 6.4 OO2 Rack and I am getting a new Desktop. I have a Gateway that has been performing very well over the last couple years but it is time to upgrade. I will likely upgrade to v7.3 when I set up the new CPU...

I was contemplating doing a custom job like you all have been describing, but i came across a good deal with an HP Pavillion. I have read the compatablility documents extensively, and this cpu seems to be OK.

HP Pavilion a1644x Minitower
Intel Pentium D Processor 915, 2.8GHz, 1GB RAM, 300GB Hard Drive, 16X DVD+/-RW Drive, Windows XP Professional

link: (http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...644x_Minitower)

However, in the compatibility documents, there is a specific statement about HP Pavillions: "Some HP Pavilion models do not meet the minimum requirements as listed in these compatibility documents". Is there something I am looking over or that I need to look out for...what do you suggest?

Thanks A Million!
Justin
Many things have changed with the HP computers and PTLE compatibility. If you are using 7.0 and higher there is a good chance that it will work. Get a good return policyy on the computer in case it doesn't.

Allen