Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2018, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Echo Farm is back!!

does anyone know if i find a stupid price second hand tdm asset for say 50 bucks, whether i will be eligible for the $49 upgrade? My absolute overall spend limit on this plugin is 99.. Tops.

For some reason i want it, maybe cause it's so easy to use. On sends it's very nice, mingled with a good filter, but on inserts i am not convinced.

In any case, do you think the TDM idea would work, or do line 6 have to actually have a record of that ilok buying the plugin from them to begin with?

@metalmixer..

100 on ebay? why not link.. it's not showing here.

edit, i found it.. 3 licenses huh.. at 99 each.. but you missed the 25$ transfer fee, so they are $124 each.

Too high.. plus, i'd need proof of original purchase to trust any sort of dongle license transfer on ebay anymore... ilok and steinberg are removing bought licenses like they are going out of fashion.. bad luck to the buyer.. cause after a few months they often find out the seller used stolen CC's to buy multiple licenses just to resell them. Buyer beware unless it's a reputable store.

Edit2, i see he has sold heaps of these.. i don't trust it, sorry.. that's just too suspicious.. how can someone have that many legit echo farm licenses, and why.

People leave positive feedback as soon as the plugin initially works and then if something goes wrong they can't change it.. Look at the user, "mr shiverz" that steinberg have as a forum sticky to tell their users to avoid buying from... he has all positive feedback on recent cubase licenses.. all apparently stolen.. all buyers going to lose their software in a few months maximum.. that ebay user has now removed them after he saw Steinberg's post, and changed his name, so he can start again in a few months once the name change relink expires, and people will forget and buy them all over again. All he sells are "brand new" cubase licenses.

I am not saying this echo farm guy is not legit, i can't possibly be sure.. but i have asked for some sort of proof i will not lose the license if i buy it, whether a letter from line 6 or ilok confirming they are legit.. so let's see if he even answers

Last edited by TNM; 02-20-2018 at 05:52 AM. Reason: grammar, spelling. Probably still poor lol.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:51 AM

Thanks for this insight. I agree it is very strange that one person would have plenty copies of the same license for sale.

Phone +46707773443
Old 03-22-2018, 05:04 AM

FWIW, I sent an email to the seller, he replied..

i then sent another explaining he didn't actually answer me

and he copied and pasted the same reply

I then sent a third explaining that i needed to simply know if they were legitimate licenses that could not be revoked by ilok, and he copied and pasted the reply a third time.

I would almost bet my bottom dollar that these are licenses bought with a stolen credit card and then resold on ebay.. very common plugin scam.. they buy them new then resell them for half.. months down the road the ebay seller is free and clear and the licenses get revoked from the ilok or elicenser.

It could even seem perfectly ok for a year.

I advise anyone to be very, VERY weary of buying those echo farm licenses.

His answer was that it was old stock from a closing down studio that they took over.. yeah I am sure that studio had like 20 licenses of echo farm LOL.

NOT.

Buyer beware.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I would almost bet my bottom dollar that these are licenses bought with a stolen credit card and then resold on ebay.. very common plugin scam.. they buy them new then resell them for half.. months down the road the ebay seller is free and clear and the licenses get revoked from the ilok or elicenser.

It could even seem perfectly ok for a year..

This happened to me also, via eBay

Not with this seller but it happens, celemony revoked my license and I was stuck.

Been using waves tune ever since....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
This happened to me also, via eBay

Not with this seller but it happens, celemony revoked my license and I was stuck.

Been using waves tune ever since....
it's happening right now with cubase licenses and a seller that is rotating his name.. he runs out of "stock", waits for the name change timeout so that peeps can't see his old name, then starts again. Steinberg even have a forum sticky about it.
So sorry it happened to you bud...
that sucks...

i have such contempt for thieves/scammers.. i just despise them and I only hope they get their karma some day.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:07 AM

I thought this was one of the reasons we have iLok i.e. to provide a safe and reliable way to buy/sell assets?!

As is it, history has shown that iLok is primarily concerned with the rights of manufactures, not users in regards to problems, even their own mistakes

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 03-23-2018, 03:25 AM

If they were concerned about the users' needs, all licenses would have the option to be moved to host computer..
Old 03-23-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
I thought this was one of the reasons we have iLok i.e. to provide a safe and reliable way to buy/sell assets?!

As is it, history has shown that iLok is primarily concerned with the rights of manufactures, not users in regards to problems, even their own mistakes

Stephen
unfortunately cause people can buy a license with a stolen credit card, that's the weakness in the system. First the legit owner of the card would see the charges then go through the reverse charge process which then has to go through the bank and merchant and can often take 3 months to be completed.
Then ilok eventually realises it's an illegitimate license.

I recently did a government test on how likely I am to get scammed, and my result was 100% full proof.. that's how cautious I am..

and yet my credit card has been hacked twice in 2 years.

Many places still do not need a billing address.

What they do is, the bank lady told me the thieves sit there ALL DAY generating numbers on 1$ charges till something works then they max it out.

I had three 1,000 USD charges at a gamestop in Tennessee last year LOL.

I was ao angry i rang the specific store to ask them why on earth they would put through a credit card in person charge without the physical card.. cause it was an in store purchase..and for three seperate 1K transactions no less.

They just evaded everything and I am certain it was a staff member there that helped purposely.

The year before that, someone created a google and apple account and went to town with my card.. but this is the kicker.. because I regularly use the app store, i had to go through certain extra hoops to prove it wasn't me.

Anyway it all got sorted other than being without a card for a while and the inconvenience.
Point is, anyone can be a victim, even someone careful like myself (and i am sure many of us here are the same, very careful).

One can ask ilok or the dev to make sure a legit license is being bought.. extra steps but probably worth it...
Old 03-27-2018, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If they were concerned about the users' needs, all licenses would have the option to be moved to host computer..
Sorry but that's up to the individual plugin dev to "ok" it.

For example Exponential audio explained why they won't go to the computer based auth - they will always need the physical key cause all the other methods are apparently not as secure.

I think that's fair enough TBH....One thing I like about using PT 2018 and Cubase 9.5 is that i know for a fact, that currently at least (and will be for some time), NO one is using it who hasn't paid for it. I like that.

Exponential has a pretty spotless track record with not being hacked..

All the others that allow computer based ilok were indeed hacked like every softube plugin, and many others.

So Exponential have a point.....

Ilok have since tightened it all up and since then it's been a vault, but still, if it happens again i will bet it will be the computer based..

I think the cloud one might be impossible to hack which is a good thing too.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:33 PM

There is always a solution if there was will. The host-auth could for example be a 7-day time-limited one in which time period the real license cannot be sold.

Just a simple example. My point being some of us who travel and hate taking ilok key to possibly get lost/stolen would greatly benefit from the OPTION to have the licenses on host computer.