Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-31-2013, 04:24 AM

Default Join into Stereo?

I have a mono track which contains various pieces also with some crossfades. I want to translate it into a stereo track but don't want to do the bouncing way (like duplicate, route, record) because that would be destructive to the editable parts with crossfades and different pieces edited together; I want to further on be able to edit the parts of the track. I know the feature split into mono if you want to split a stereo track into two separate mono tracks. What about having to mono tracks and joining them in a single stereo track? Does that feature/function/trick exist, or will the desired (editable!) stereo track only arise through longtime meditation or lame workarounds?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Join into Stereo?

Duplicate the track so you have two mono tracks, then create a new stereo track, then copy paste the two mono tracks to the new stereo.

Is there a reason you want to do this?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:07 AM

Thanks. Works just perfectly well!

Reason: tidy up my untidy session. It's a complicated big sound-design/foley recording session where I recorded the same action with different microphones, microphone positionings and stereo and mono technics. I edited (in the first place cut it together roughly) all the best takes and the chosen positions/mono/stereo microphone setup takes and now all wants to become just one tidy stereo track to do the final editing with no more headache so I can enjoy bringing it all together now without having to wonder "where is that *beeep* piece of flare match ...zzip!?!! Ahh. Instead: One nice polite and friendly looking single stereo track with all roughly cut pieces in it but ready and waiting to be so nicely and neatly edited and all (-: that's why... You wanted to know all of this (-: Thanks for bearing through it. See you / read you next time.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:18 AM

Cool. It's always interesting to hear how people do things. Thanks for the explanation and glad it worked for you.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.