Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2018, 01:15 PM

Default Gearslutz down

I know we have a bunch of people here who are also on Gearslutz. Went to check in on a couple of threads I'm in there and every page is coming up with a 502 error. I know it was up earlier today - anybody know where their servers are located? I know the US is experiencing some nasty weather lately.

BTW for those in the 'Who uses Plugin Alliance' thread over there I got seduced and got the VSM-3 for $29 using both of my vouchers. I love that I can target different frequencies.

QAPLA!
Old 09-07-2018, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Gearslutz down

Yeah, I just went to log in to GS and got the oops message. I loaded up on a bunch of PIA stuff last month cuz they kept sending those 24 hour flash sale things on stuff I wanted and with the coupon for the month. I picked up the VSC cheap as well as a couple others. The good news is I increased my voucher for September. Bad news is I'm not sure if I'm going to want anything else. I've heard a lot of good things about the channel strip emu's but I've already got so many I feel like i'd just be getting them to have them.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:48 PM

It's all working again.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 09-07-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
Yeah, I just went to log in to GS and got the oops message. I loaded up on a bunch of PIA stuff last month cuz they kept sending those 24 hour flash sale things on stuff I wanted and with the coupon for the month. I picked up the VSC cheap as well as a couple others. The good news is I increased my voucher for September. Bad news is I'm not sure if I'm going to want anything else. I've heard a lot of good things about the channel strip emu's but I've already got so many I feel like i'd just be getting them to have them.
My saga with the strips goes like this:
Got the bx_E before the new strips came out and was going to get the bx_G with the discount from already having the E. PIA screwed up and sent me a $25 voucher instead of the $50 I should have gotten. By the time sales support got that straightened out the bx_G was no longer available. Due to being a 'heavy hitter' I got the SSL_E and SSL_G for a total of $50 less than if I had purchased the bx_G like I originally wanted to.

Having worked with the various iterations I would say, if money is tight, to get the SSL_E and then go for the SSL_G if it ever comes back on sale again.

Now where these PIA strips come in versus the Waves versions I don't know but if you have the IKMM TRacks versions there's no comparison - the PIA versions have it all over the IKMM ones. One thing I can speak to is for me at least the Waves SSL Bus Comp works better than the PIA Townhouse comp. My opinion, nothing more.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 09-08-2018 at 04:33 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 09-07-2018, 09:39 PM

I have the complete ssl bundle from waves, which I do like, But the temptation comes from pia having M/S and some other extra features. Also have softube and artturia emus of various channel strips as well so I'm not hurting for different colors. Still might be picking em up this month, esp if the heavy hitter discount shows up on one again.