Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2018, 06:48 PM

Default Re: New Mac Mini released

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Just pulled the trigger, shipping says the 15th, gonna rock this with two Slate VRS-8s. I will report on stability, practical horsepower, and fan noise.

Hey! How has the new mac mini been running? Looking at getting one to replace my workhorse of a Intel Mac Pro from 2008, but it was doing some strange stuff lately, and thought I'd upgrade before it was too late.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Still wrapping up tracking for this one project and then I'll have a chance to gut my desk and hook up the VRS-8s. SOON.

I can also test the VRS-8s out in Logic if anybody is interested.
Really been enjoying your posts and updates. Please keep them coming!
Old 12-06-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppymachine View Post
Hey! How has the new mac mini been running? Looking at getting one to replace my workhorse of a Intel Mac Pro from 2008, but it was doing some strange stuff lately, and thought I'd upgrade before it was too late.
The new Mini has been running like a champ! Silent and powerful. I've produced a couple of demos on it so far: SSD5, a few tracks of Amplitube 4, vocals. No issues for me at 44.1/24 with a buffer size of 64 on Mojave as long as I'm not flinging plugin GUIs around. CPU meter is going nuts, but no AAE errors! Raising the buffer size to 128 and above quiets the CPU meter down from bucking bronco to whispering baby.

I'll be using the Mini with the two VRS-8s to track a full rock band tomorrow evening...I'll post as soon as the hangover wears off.

Here is a link to Avid's warning about Mojave and low buffer sizes; let's hope for a fix soon: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...BkZ0sifQ%3D%3D
Old 12-08-2018, 08:25 PM

Only the drummer showed up, so most of the session involved programming click tracks and line checks. My takeaways:

1. Low buffer size in Mojave is not right, still waiting on a fix. 44.1 @ 128 is golden.

2. I'm keeping my Central Station. Digital volume control (VRS-8) is not for me.

3. The "normal/dynamic" switch on the Slate SDCs feels shady. Hope they hold up.

4. The pres on the VRS-8s are very flat. The raw tracks were kind of a culture shock for me. Engaging the mic models and pres helped bring the tracks to life. The tracks took EQ very well (I instinctively reached for the "air" band on AirEQ). The Mac Mini has more than enough power to serve up any processing needed.

5. My brand-spanking-new Command|8 works flawlessly with Pro Tools 12.6.

6. I have a lot of analog gear to sell.

Last edited by AlexLakis; 12-09-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:57 PM

turning off hyperthreading on mac seems to solve that low buffer issue
Old 12-09-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
The new Mini has been running like a champ! Silent and powerful. I've produced a couple of demos on it so far: ... from bucking bronco to whispering baby.

I'll be using the Mini with the two VRS-8s to track a full rock band tomorrow evening...I'll post as soon as the hangover wears off.

Here is a link to Avid's warning about Mojave and low buffer sizes; let's hope for a fix soon: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...BkZ0sifQ%3D%3D

Hey thanks so much! I'll definitely check it out.