Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2012, 01:12 PM

Exclamation Microphone signal is too low

Hello there,

So I just got my MobilePre (2nd Gen) product yesterday from a Virgin store. The product itself seems to be working just fine except for the mic volume.

When I record with the MobilePre, the microphone's level never exceeds the green level except when I scream really loud (This happens only in Pro Tools SE. Other programs have it perfectly normal).
I don't think this is a problem with the product itself since many people are having the same problem.

Is there anyway to fix this?
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-2670QM
Memory: 8.00 GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 6990M
Sound Card: THX TrueStudio PRO 5.1
Hard Drive: 750GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) x 2 (1.5TB in Raid 0)
Headphones: GAMECOM Platronics
Mouse: Logitech G9X
Mousepad: Razer Vespula
Keyboard: BTC 9051H Cheetah
Monitor: ViewSonic VA2702W 27-Inch Full HD 1080p Widescreen LCD Monitor
Old 08-25-2012, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Microphone signal is too low

BUMP.

Please, I really need to start using my product, but this problem is blocking me..
Hard Drive: 750GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) x 2 (1.5TB in Raid 0)
Old 08-25-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VENAXIS View Post
Hello there,

So I just got my MobilePre (2nd Gen) product yesterday from a Virgin store. The product itself seems to be working just fine except for the mic volume.

When I record with the MobilePre, the microphone's level never exceeds the green level except when I scream really loud (This happens only in Pro Tools SE. Other programs have it perfectly normal).
I don't think this is a problem with the product itself since many people are having the same problem.

Is there anyway to fix this?
What microphone? Plugged into what channel and exact jack? Where is the gain knob for that channel set to when you record?

What level are you talking about? -- the Mic's audio track meters in Pro Tools? the master track meters? the Mobile Pre clip LED?

Besides looking at meters how are you listening to the audio? If speakers are they plugged into the interface line outputs (or are they connected to your PC)? And what is the line output knob set to? Or headphones? Plugged into the interface? What is the headphone output knob set to? I also want to make sure you are not listening to direct monitor output at times and not at others.

Darryl
Old 08-25-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What microphone? Plugged into what channel and exact jack? Where is the gain knob for that channel set to when you record?

What level are you talking about? -- the Mic's audio track meters in Pro Tools? the master track meters? the Mobile Pre clip LED?

Besides looking at meters how are you listening to the audio? If speakers are they plugged into the interface line outputs (or are they connected to your PC)? And what is the line output knob set to? Or headphones? Plugged into the interface? What is the headphone output knob set to? I also want to make sure you are not listening to direct monitor output at times and not at others.

Darryl
It's a shure mic. It works in all other softwares perfectly except Pro Tools SE.
-Plugged into the first clip (Combo jack #1)
-I tried increasing the gain to the highest but it only gave me poor improvement.
-The mic's audio track meters.
-I'm listening to the recorded audio using my headphones that is connected to 2nd Gen MobilePre product.
-The headphone's knob is set to middle, but increasing it would only create noise.

Now I understand why you're asking all these questions, but trust me it's not from my end. It's either the mic's drivers or Pro Tools SE.

Thanks for answering!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
It's a shure mic. It works in all other softwares perfectly except Pro Tools SE.
-Plugged into the first clip (Combo jack #1)
-I tried increasing the gain to the highest but it only gave me poor improvement.
-The mic's audio track meters.
-I'm listening to the recorded audio using my headphones that is connected to 2nd Gen MobilePre product.
-The headphone's knob is set to middle, but increasing it would only create noise.

Now I understand why you're asking all these questions, but trust me it's not from my end. It's either the mic's drivers or Pro Tools SE.

Thanks for answering!
Oh I'm willing to bet money its something you are doing. That's not intended as a slam, Pro Tools is a complex beast for new users to get started with.

And you have both the track mix fader and master volume fader turned up in Pro Tools? There are no plugins on the tracks right? (disable them to get started with if there is) Make sure you do not have direct monitoring enabled. The behavior of meters in Pro Tools can be pre- or post-fader which can sometimes confuse people. See this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXEYlEt-dCQ I assume SE support this -- like most folks on DUC I've never used SE.

Other things to check - the mic input track is a mono track right? The master track is stereo right?

An important thing is to confirm whether you have a tracking/input or playback issue.... Create a new stereo audio track. Drag and drop your favorite mp3 or similar music file onto that track. If you play that track do you hear a volume you expect from the output (after playing with the track and master track fader).

If it looks like an input problem and this is a condenser mic make sure phantom power is turned on. If you have a multimeter (be careful to set it to DC volts not amps or ohms) and measure the DC voltage across the interface jack pins, you should find something around 48V across XLR pin 2 and 3 (although unlikely sometimes phantom power dies or is flaky, and although even more unlikely it might have just caught you at the wrong times).

Darryl
Old 08-25-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
but trust me it's not from my end. It's either the mic's drivers or Pro Tools!
He said MIC DRIVERS !!!!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahh😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
ROF-LOL
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
He said MIC DRIVERS !!!!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahh😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
ROF-LOL
Oh shush!

I'm sure he meant the Mobile Pre and understands that. But isn't "Mobile Pre" such an awkward and silly name. Its an interface not a pre-amp.

Darryl
Old 08-25-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Oh I'm willing to bet money its something you are doing. That's not intended as a slam, Pro Tools is a complex beast for new users to get started with.

And you have both the track mix fader and master volume fader turned up in Pro Tools? There are no plugins on the tracks right? (disable them to get started with if there is) Make sure you do not have direct monitoring enabled. The behavior of meters in Pro Tools can be pre- or post-fader which can sometimes confuse people. See this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXEYlEt-dCQ I assume SE support this -- like most folks on DUC I've never used SE.

Other things to check - the mic input track is a mono track right? The master track is stereo right?

An important thing is to confirm whether you have a tracking/input or playback issue.... Create a new stereo audio track. Drag and drop your favorite mp3 or similar music file onto that track. If you play that track do you hear a volume you expect from the output (after playing with the track and master track fader).

If it looks like an input problem and this is a condenser mic make sure phantom power is turned on. If you have a multimeter (be careful to set it to DC volts not amps or ohms) and measure the DC voltage across the interface jack pins, you should find something around 48V across XLR pin 2 and 3 (although unlikely sometimes phantom power dies or is flaky, and although even more unlikely it might have just caught you at the wrong times).

Darryl
Okay before going deeper in this, I'd like to point out these problems that I'm having:
-Since I've installed the M-Audio software and driver, I started getting this problem:
-When I connect my 2nd Gen MobilePre device into my laptop, this message appears (HERE). I actually get this message now whenever I access/connect any usb devices.
-When I go to the M-Audio Fast Track interface a message pops up (HERE).
-After I dismiss that message, the Fast Track Interface says that my device is not connected (HERE), even though it is.

And to answer your questions:

Yes since my mic is connected to one to one jack.
Without playing with faders, the song plays in high volume (Normal).
The Phantom Power 48V is turned on and everything is set on the device as they should. But what do you mean by a multimeter? The device is connected directly through the usb port.
You can check my laptop's specs in my signature if you need to.

Thanks for answering!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
He said MIC DRIVERS !!!!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahh�������������������������� ������
ROF-LOL
LOL I meant Pro Tools SE drivers! xD

I replied to all your answers but it said it needs a moderator's approval (Probably because it was too long).
Old 08-25-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
LOL I meant Pro Tools SE drivers! xD

I replied to all your answers but it said it needs a moderator's approval (Probably because it was too long).
I don't know what is broken here with moderator approval stuff. You might just want to try to paste that into new reply attempts if you can.

And no you meant Mobile Pre drivers... the hardware has drivers, not Pro Tools. You do have the latest Mobile Pre drivers installed right? http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support&tab=driver

Darryl