Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-13-2020, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Avid hd native thunderbolt question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
You didn't mention which kind of TB2/TB3 adapter. I use an Apple TB2/TB3 adapter without issue on a i9 Hack. The LED indicator is for the integrated headphone amp whether it's on or off.
Its a Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter. My iMac System Information states no device connected. I tested it by chaining a Thunderbolt 1/2 to FW adaptor on my old Mbox 2 Pro and there is connection. So I am hesitant if I should get a 12v adaptor just to make sure my HDN is working.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:10 AM

when you say no device connected... is a device showing up listed under Thunderbolt but not identified as a HD Native because you have not installed the correct device drivers yet? If you are unsure post a screen shot.

new or used?/where did the HD Native Thunderbolt box come from and do you know for sure it works at all?
why are you running Pro Tools 12 on Mojave? I am surprised that works at all.
what exact HD driver version have you installed? If from Pro Tools 12.5 HD uh... who knows if that will work on Mojave.
confirm your iMac has a Pro Tools HD not Pro Tools standard license.
when you upgrade to a supported version of Pro Tools Ultimate you will need a digilink license in addition to the Pro Tools license. Discussed lots on DUC in the past.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
when you say no device connected... is a device showing up listed under Thunderbolt but not identified as a HD Native because you have not installed the correct device drivers yet? If you are unsure post a screen shot.

new or used?/where did the HD Native Thunderbolt box come from and do you know for sure it works at all?
why are you running Pro Tools 12 on Mojave? I am surprised that works at all.
what exact HD driver version have you installed? If from Pro Tools 12.5 HD uh... who knows if that will work on Mojave.
confirm your iMac has a Pro Tools HD not Pro Tools standard license.
when you upgrade to a supported version of Pro Tools Ultimate you will need a digilink license in addition to the Pro Tools license. Discussed lots on DUC in the past.
The connection seems to be ok now, the LED light in on. The driver is HD_Driver_12_5_0_Mac_93600. But not appearing in Pro Tools HD 12.5 hardware menu. Has anyone got it to work in Mojave 10.14.6 on iMac 2019?
Old 01-28-2020, 10:57 AM

Although I'm using the Apple TB2/TB3 adapter for my HDN Thunderbolt (a TB1 device that I've had no issues with) into a TB3 connection, I have seen info that the Apple adapter works in both directions. I personally have not used it as such, so anyone with info to the contrary chime in. Also I've had no issues needing an external power supply for the HDN Thunderbolt either with my 2015 rMBP or the TB3 port on the z390 Designare/i9, both running 10.14.6 and 2019.12 Ultimate.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
Although I'm using the Apple TB2/TB3 adapter for my HDN Thunderbolt (a TB1 device that I've had no issues with) into a TB3 connection, I have seen info that the Apple adapter works in both directions. I personally have not used it as such, so anyone with info to the contrary chime in. Also I've had no issues needing an external power supply for the HDN Thunderbolt either with my 2015 rMBP or the TB3 port on the z390 Designare/i9, both running 10.14.6 and 2019.12 Ultimate.
As already discussed earlier in this thread, the adapter is bidirectional. So this is not an issue.

The glaring issue I would suspect is not running a supported configuration. Most easily tested if that is needed by doing a quick test of a supported config, using a eval or monthly rental of Pro Tools Ultimate if needed. If that does not work this is an intersting problem to help solve, if not...
Old 02-11-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Yes. And this is stated many times over DUC.

Pro Tools HD prior to 12.6 did not need the DigiLink IO license to work with a DigiLink interface. HD/Ultimate has always been required.
Ugh. In the process of upgrading to PT 2019.12 from PT 10 HD Native. My system has been rock solid for 5 years and I've never had a reason to be on this forum for anything. I have the standard version of 2019 and it's not seeing my HD Omni. I don't see the DigiLink license but based on what I'm reading here, it won't matter without having PT Ultimate? That seems kinda ridiculous that my interface would be dead in the water.

iTunes plays through the interface just fine so the driver is current. I partitioned my drive and still have 10 running on the other side. Am I going to have to switch to 10 every time I want to use my interface?
Old 02-11-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louderock View Post
Ugh. In the process of upgrading to PT 2019.12 from PT 10 HD Native. My system has been rock solid for 5 years and I've never had a reason to be on this forum for anything. I have the standard version of 2019 and it's not seeing my HD Omni. I don't see the DigiLink license but based on what I'm reading here, it won't matter without having PT Ultimate? That seems kinda ridiculous that my interface would be dead in the water.

iTunes plays through the interface just fine so the driver is current. I partitioned my drive and still have 10 running on the other side. Am I going to have to switch to 10 every time I want to use my interface?
That is correct. If you want to use Protools Thunderbolt/HD interfaces, it will only work with Protools Ultimate. It will work with other software as a standard Core Audio interface, as you have discovered, but it requires Ultimate to work with Protools.

This has always been the case with HD interfaces and systems, and is nothing new.

You may want to consider buying one of the still available (at Sweetwater) Protools Ultimate Reinstatement plans. That will upgrade you to Protools Ultimate while allowing you to keep your license for HD10. At least I'm pretty sure. Contact Sweetwater for more info.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
That is correct. If you want to use Protools Thunderbolt/HD interfaces, it will only work with Protools Ultimate. It will work with other software as a standard Core Audio interface, as you have discovered, but it requires Ultimate to work with Protools.

This has always been the case with HD interfaces and systems, and is nothing new.

You may want to consider buying one of the still available (at Sweetwater) Protools Ultimate Reinstatement plans. That will upgrade you to Protools Ultimate while allowing you to keep your license for HD10. At least I'm pretty sure. Contact Sweetwater for more info.
Thanks. Kinda weird to think that this nice expensive interface that has AVID on it won’t work with my system but one that says UAD will. Looks like it’s $999 at Sweetwater with 1 year support and is a perpetual license.

Last edited by louderock; 02-11-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louderock View Post
Thanks. Kinda weird to think that this nice expensive interface that has AVID on it won’t work with my system but one that says UAD will.
It is well documented that these nice Avid HD interfaces require HD / Ultimate software
Old 02-11-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It is well documented that these nice Avid HD interfaces require HD / Ultimate software
Been rock solid on my PT10 HD system for years so never had the need to look into these well documented instances. Only just discovered this yesterday.