Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2010, 03:34 AM

Default Official Digidesign recommended Snow upgrade.

I don't understand why all the people upgradind their OS to Snow have to search the web and the forum about how to do it.
Since I am a PT a "last upgraded user2, with PT8.0.3, I think I should find a thread from Digi where I would be able to do the upgrade to Snow smooth and save.

And if there is no Digi official thread, where exactly should I look? Because now I see more people working with Snow and I just look at the dvd...because I am not sure how to do it.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Official Digidesign recommended Snow upgrade.

Well, upgrading to snow leopard can go in two different ways.
1. upgrade
2. clean install
You have to decide which is more for you, many tells u that you need a clean install, though many (including me) happy with the simple upgrade.
First you have to upgrade the operating system, and when it's ready and working, you should upgrade your pro tools. It is really not that complicated.
Close any running application, start the pt update, follow the instructions.
When ready, I usually trash prefs&databases, sometimes even repair permissions, restart, and use pt.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:04 AM

Thank you.
I do have allready installed the last PT version, so what you are saying is that I should just upgrade the OS to Snow...and that's it?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:21 AM

If you're lucky, than yes.
I say this because half of the users experience some wierdness with snow leopard, the other half not.

It is always a good thing to have a complete system backup, before you start the upgrade. (carbon copy or other backup software can do this.)
Old 01-19-2010, 06:43 AM

I see. Can I use Time Machine for backup?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 AM

My only real weirdness with ProTools LE is with regard to Snow Leopard.... sometimes it launches, sometimes not.. then sometimes it will just freeze the entire machine. (MacPro 2.8 x 8core with 003R). Restart after repowering the machine.... then we're all good for a while.
Logic on the other hand is running smooth as silk.. Come on guys, why doesn't this work so well... it used to be stable, reliable, the standard etc etc.?
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 01-19-2010, 07:02 AM

@Matrixx

Would you please stick to the thread...?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
My only real weirdness with ProTools LE is with regard to Snow Leopard.... sometimes it launches, sometimes not.. then sometimes it will just freeze the entire machine. (MacPro 2.8 x 8core with 003R). Restart after repowering the machine.... then we're all good for a while.
Logic on the other hand is running smooth as silk.. Come on guys, why doesn't this work so well... it used to be stable, reliable, the standard etc etc.?
It must be some problem with your system. Pro tools is quite stable on snowleo. Definately not that complicated as you've mentioned.
As about logic, yes, it is so stable, I started to ignore logic problem threads on other forums, because they are just flooding all over....

What troubleshooting steps have you made regarding pro tools?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goga View Post
I see. Can I use Time Machine for backup?
PS<I have a second internal hard-disk.

bump..
Old 01-20-2010, 01:32 AM

yes, you can use Time Machine for backup. If you want to go back to where you were, just follow the directions here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h.../en/15638.html