Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-11-2004, 07:21 PM

Default Some new features please!!!!

Im using Pt about 8 years.
so if digi plans to fix some Pt 6.1.1 bug why dont put some new features
for example

1.Bounceto disc (non real time)
2.frezzer track(yep like Digital performer and samplitude)
3.a true Rewire option (not only 2 chanels)
5.A more complete Region edit(like you can "draw" the volumen of the region whitout automate the fade or use gain audiosuite)
6.plugin delay compesation

so if any of u have anothers "new features" post it here

why dont Digi?

and yes this is my first post in 8 years
Old 03-11-2004, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Some new features please!!!!

Hi!
Digi said they were working on solving BTD issue.

Freezer: Would be nice for some.

Rewire in PT currently has 64 channels available for routing audio in to PT.
Since LE has an upper limit of 2 channels for a single track (stereo audio or aux), multiple tracks with the same rewire device/app selected as the insert allows additional channels of same device to be routed in. For example, say you have Reason 2.5 installed, and have 24 channels of instruments loaded in the rack in Reason. Create mono and/or stereo Auxes in PT, select Reason as an insert for each, and use the resulting DigiRewire gui for those inserts to assign the appropriate channels to each track from the 24 that will have audio piping thru. Can create MIDI tracks to control the instruments in the Reason rack as well. Therefore, not an issue, since it already exists

Drawing the volume of a track is simple: In the Edit window, switch the track to view the volume data, draw in volume automation to your hearts content. If you are referring to actual "gain drawing" or "wave amplitude drawing," I do not see why one would want to use that instead of simply automating volume by drawing. If one wanted a file with the changes applied, bounce the single track internally, or using BTD. PT's editing tools are very powerful, but since other apps were written from apps that started as purely MIDI apps, the approach they have to audio is a bit different. Spending time with, and then understanding, Pro Tools is key. The DUC is an excellent place to discover how the differences in approach, and how to accomplish similar tasks when coming from a different app to PT. Ask, and ask well Many DUC frequenters will also answer a polite, well written email asking for assistance

Plugin delay comp. An almost "Pandora's Box." Due to PT LE having roots deeply imbedded in PT TDM, I am imagining it isn't a simple deal. Nudging can help to some extent, and combined with some clever pugin inserting with bypass engaged can solve most problems. While delay comp is provided in some current apps out there, I know of none that have it implemented perfectly; usually an option to turn it off is present, since it really depends on the user's routing, plugins, outboard, etc being used. Seeing as this has been a topic of much debate over the years with Pro Tools, and Digi reps have replied on it before, it would seem it is not a simple bit of coding to implement this. If it were, IMO Digi would have done so; if not with PT 5, PT6. Always hope for the future tho...
Describe a scenario where the lack of delay comp has adversely affected a session, and there might be a chance that a DUC'er may respond with a workaround.
Keep in mind that delay comp does not solely rest with plugins; bussing, sends, plugs, outboard, etc. A bit more complicated than simply coding in for PT to "see" the delay being reported by a plugin, and then applying to an audio track it is inserted on, and or to any tracks bussed via send to an aux. Although some constants exist within the "mixer," accounting for all the eccentricities users will bring to a given session keep things from being cut 'n' dry
Agreed, would be nice to at least have a plugin (like time adjuster that TDM has) to allow users a tool to attempt to compensate. There is a free DX plugin that does this (by Analog X), but I have yet to see a VST plug. Kinda odd, considering VST is free for all to code for, and that even with an app that claims to compensate, not all plugs report, not all report correctly, and bussing may or may not even be compensated for. Would be nice if someone would write one, then with the VST-RTAS wrapper, we could do our own comp

Not trying to be a bitch and shoot down your suggestions, just trying to shed some light on what may be a feature already present, and if not, some reasoning behind why it might not be there currently. After all, the Freezer idea would be cool- there are workarounds for this now (sor of).

Personally, I'd love to see one fo the Samplitude features come to PT: In waveform display in Edit window, an option to view the frequency of the content, via color coding. Samplitude has some very uses for this feature built into it that I would love to see in PT.

Other than that, I would really love to see some little things fixed, and a more "solid" feel attained with the current feature set. Not many apps out there can claim that with a straight face...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:32 AM

I would like to see Playlists on multiple tracks instead of selecting one playlist at a time or using many Audio Tracks to load different playlists. When comping vocals I like to see every take, turn on a take and copy the good part to a final track. I don't need the playlists voiced except for the one i am listening to. This way, I can have 10 vocal takes visible, listen to each one at atime and select a good region and drag it to a new track. Logic did this and now SX2 has "Lanes" which basically accomplish this.

This is my only PT feature request.

Nikki, I'm sure you can get them to do it.
And RAil, since you got them to make an XPO version of URS plug-ins in the course of 15 minutes, this request should be a walk in the park
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 03-12-2004, 07:39 AM

nested folders for plug-ins so one can organize their plug-ins e.g. compressors in a compressors or dynamics folder etc..
Old 03-12-2004, 07:48 AM

I'll second that, hanzoid!

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-12-2004, 08:43 AM

You can switch playlists on multiple tracks by either using groups or the Alt+Shift modifiers which are used throughout Pro Tools to target selected tracks.

What you're asking for while comping is easily done in the TDM version of Pro Tools by using voice stealing - what you can do is have all the vocal tracks visible but disabled - and in the Mix Window Ctrl+Start click on the waveform icon next to the fader to toggle each track so you can reenable it.

Rather than dragging to a new track - put the new Comp track above all the source vocal tracks.. you can then higlight the region in the track you like and copy it, then Shift+click in the comp track and paste it. This means no dragging and the original track(s) not being affected.

Use the P and ; keys in Command Focus Mode to move the selection between tracks.

I'm sure we'll see an update to the menu structure.. since the wrapper has shown the limitations of the existing inserts menu.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-12-2004, 08:46 AM

I figured as much since I love my wrapper but find myself deciding what to keep and what to leave out (for now). Be nice to be able to load sets like a mastering set or an instruments set etc..
Old 03-12-2004, 08:51 PM

Beat Detective, or at least a way to Quantize Midi to a User Groove, like Reason does.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 03-12-2004, 10:15 PM

I mentioned this months back, but something that would be VERY helpful for me and hopefully others is a way to edit wav files in the import sound window. Maybe a simple editor like Cool Edit. The reason being is that I do a lot of commercial production and a lot of the SFX CD's I purchase have multiple effects on each track. I would be nice to click import, select the wav I want, preview it and import only the effect I want from within that wav file. Similar to how older versions of SAW had a sort of preview pane at the bottom of your mix window.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:16 PM

Hi Nikki K. and all. thanks for post

first of all Nikki K u are right.and thanks to take your time to reply and mark my misatakes.
im very happy,i post this to generate just this type of feedbak and try to see what sugestios digi users have in mind.
thanks