Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2010, 06:51 AM

Default Lost Communication with Audio Interface!

Hi there,
Having serious trouble with recording/playback. Error messages include "lost communication with audio interface/running out of CPU power/increase & decrease hardware buffer..." As soon as ProTools boots up, before i try anything, an error message will appear.

I'm running Reason 4.0 through rewire.

Have gone through all troubleshooting except Re-initilizing ext hard drive(need to get hands on spare drive to back up), but all drives read as"Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" when checked in Disk Utility.

Am planning to upgrade RAM to 4Gb, but have had no problems before to this extent,so i've a feeling it might be something else.

I did download Waves trial plugins-they have since expired and i have deleted them from my Plug-Ins Folder.

Any help would REALLY be appreciated-i'm grounded to a halt here!

Thanks in advance,
Rich
Old 06-03-2010, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Lost Communication with Audio Interface!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeymcc View Post
Hi there,
Having serious trouble with recording/playback. Error messages include "lost communication with audio interface/running out of CPU power/increase & decrease hardware buffer..." As soon as ProTools boots up, before i try anything, an error message will appear.

I'm running Reason 4.0 through rewire.

Have gone through all troubleshooting except Re-initilizing ext hard drive(need to get hands on spare drive to back up), but all drives read as"Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" when checked in Disk Utility.

Am planning to upgrade RAM to 4Gb, but have had no problems before to this extent,so i've a feeling it might be something else.

I did download Waves trial plugins-they have since expired and i have deleted them from my Plug-Ins Folder.

Any help would REALLY be appreciated-i'm grounded to a halt here!

Thanks in advance,
Rich
Gonna need a lot more info here.

What Mac are you using? Specs? Digi interface? PT version? OSX version? Are ALL of your plugins up to date? Using secondary/external drive for sessions?

Plus, extra RAM can never hurt. 4GB is pretty much the standard now, anyway.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-03-2010, 09:49 AM

Sorry! I didn't have my signature ticked for my post.

All audio is running from my ext. hard drive-but this is partitioned-i don't know if this causes issues..

I've just double checked my plugins from the compatibility page and all are up to date- I'm downloading the v8.0.3 plug in updater at the moment.

one thing i noticed is my Bomb Factory plug ins are in the Unused Plugin Folders under Unlicensed. It wasn't like that before, so should i drag these into the (general)plugins folder?

I've just downloaded the Pro Tools LE 8.0.3 update too,but haven't launched it yet.

Thanks again-
G-DriveQ 500Gb ext. hard drive 7200rpm- eSata- Partitioned
Old 06-03-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Sorry! I didn't have my signature ticked for my post.

All audio is running from my ext. hard drive-but this is partitioned-i don't know if this causes issues..

I've just double checked my plugins from the compatibility page and all are up to date- I'm downloading the v8.0.3 plug in updater at the moment.

one thing i noticed is my Bomb Factory plug ins are in the Unused Plugin Folders under Unlicensed. It wasn't like that before, so should i drag these into the (general)plugins folder?

I've just downloaded the Pro Tools LE 8.0.3 update too,but haven't launched it yet.

Thanks again-
Plugins in your Unused folder shouldn't have any effect on Pro Tools performance. That's sort of the point of that folder, to take potentially problematic plugins out of the Plugins folder without removing them entirely.

Are you running the latest version of Reason 4? If there are any updates, particularly those pertaining to stability, I'd recommend installing. 4.0 came out long before 8.0.3, so that could be an issue. Otherwise, I'd make sure all of your other plugins are up to date, including any Digi or AIR plugins. There is a combined update available for many of them available on the Avid site. Perhaps installing the latest 8.0.3cs2 update might help as well.

What format is your external drive, and what are you running on your second partition?

Also, how do you have your drive and 003 plugged into your Macbook? Are they daisy-chained in any way? If so, what order are they in?

D

Old 06-03-2010, 10:52 AM

Don't have the latest Reason (4.0.1) so that may be something i'll have to look at.
My external hard drive is Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The second Partition just runs my Time Machine, and general files-no applications.

I will get the 8.0.3cs2 update and see if that makes a difference.

I don't have the drive and 003 daisy chained-just running seperate cables into the laptop from each of them.

Thanks for your help
Old 06-03-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Don't have the latest Reason (4.0.1) so that may be something i'll have to look at.
My external hard drive is Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The second Partition just runs my Time Machine, and general files-no applications.

I will get the 8.0.3cs2 update and see if that makes a difference.

I don't have the drive and 003 daisy chained-just running seperate cables into the laptop from each of them.

Thanks for your help
How are you doing this as most MacBooks only have a single firewire port? If you are using a USB drive, that could be a problem(USB drives are not supported or recommended).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-03-2010, 03:41 PM

Are you running 8.0.3cs2, i'm sure i read something about reason 4.0 issues in the list of fixes.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
How are you doing this as most MacBooks only have a single firewire port? If you are using a USB drive, that could be a problem(USB drives are not supported or recommended).
I have two firewire ports on the macbook pro-FW400 and 800. 003 Rack is using the 400 slot, and the ext. hard drive is using the 800.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougfather View Post
Are you running 8.0.3cs2, i'm sure i read something about reason 4.0 issues in the list of fixes.
Hi-yeah, i'm running 8.0.3cs2 and still serious problems.
As soon as i start up,-before Reason even launches, it gives me error "6097-Lost communication with audio interface,try increasing H/W buffer or removing some plug ins.Make sure you have a valid clock source"
Old 06-05-2010, 12:27 AM

Have you tried a fresh re-install of PT yet? Seems like the best option at this point.

Do a full and complete uninstall with the uninstaller. Use the FULL 8.0.3 installer. It should be available for download on your Avid account page.

D