Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2019, 12:19 AM

Default I/O interface problem.

Hey folks I have a situation that is stumping me. I recently flattened my mac and reinstalled a clean Mac Osx High Sierra version. I run an apollo 8p with a twin (8p primary for monitors etc). I recently ran into an IO issue that I cannot sort out. I deleted all the paths and did the default which has always worked for me. Initially since its new it did all the input as stereo but i want it all mono as for example I have a pre going into 5\6 with different mics. I dont want stereo and I dont always record multiple tracks. What I found is that if I go stereo my interface allows me to select the inputs on my apollo. If i do it with mono my interface is grayed out. Outputs are fine no matter whether i select mono or stereo when I hit default in the IO setup. I know I had this before and Im thinking this has to be something silly but I cant get past this. I even tried importing my previous templates where I had all my IO named based on device and I know it worked because I used it for a long time. Any ideas? Freking Mojave was a curse for me with cpu problems and rolling back has been mostly great but not without its own challenges getting everything back to where I was. Thanks. Peter
Old 04-07-2019, 01:41 AM

Default Re: I/O interface problem.

First, many people have solved Mojave CPU errors by disabling hyperthreading — widely discussed on DUC. Did that not work for you?

If you are not seeing the IO paths you expect when you default stuff make sure you really have the playback engine selected you think you do. And both interfaces are really chained correctly and show up as that in the UAD Console. If it’s still not what you want... just edit the IO paths, you can manually create anything you want, mono/stereo pairs etc.

Any more help needed screenshots of the IO pages may be useful.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-07-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:53 AM

Darryl, this is a clean High Sierra install. Its all brand new. I totally flattened the mac pro, formatted and installed clean one version back to the supported one. It was working normally then it stopped showing me the interface option when I switched the IO from stereo to manual for the inputs. outputis fine regardless. I have them chained together as before and that seems fine bc its all there if I do stereo, just not mono. Ill grab some screen shots a bit later bc Im replying via a different device now. Oh and no the hyperthreading and other settings did not work for me. My sessions crashed relentlessly.

Last edited by ramonetl; 04-07-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:53 AM

Here are some pics of what happens when I set stereo vs Mono in my IO and then trying to select in PT. Im running the latest 2018.12 btw. Latest on UAD as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IO-Stereo_default.jpg (55.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IOStereo_Default_Interface.jpg (70.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg I-O_Mono_Default.jpg (53.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IO-Mono_Default_Interface.jpg (49.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-07-2019, 12:33 PM

Grasping at straws... I would suspect a corrupt session (or maybe preferences) with that behavior, does this happen in multiple session?

I would try trashing prefs, and keep doing that between trying other stuff. Try starting with entirely new empty session. Try creating a new Mac admin user and testing from that account with a new empty session after trashing prefs. Try each interface alone by itself. Try deleting all Paths, everywhere and creating just two mono input and output paths.

If you still see weirdness then what happens with Built-In Input and output (used as an aggregate device).

If it only happens with chained interfaces then it's an issue you will need to take up with UAD.

---

Back to previous question, did you try disabling hyperthreding before rolling back macOS. Trying to understand if you had CPU error problems that did not fix.... to help with general info here.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:03 PM

You may have grasped at a straw but Ill be damned if I didnt create a new session and its all fine. so its isolated to that session and I am not far enough in that I cannot just export what I have done to a new one. Thanks so much on that. I had just finished going through the multiple setup videos from UAD and redoing all my IO which had the same result. Whatever is happening was only in that one session and since I just finished rebuilding I have not done many. So all good finally.

As to the hyperthreading yes I had disabled that among many other suggestions of things to try and nothing helped. I have a 18 month old Mac Pro 6 core with 1TB SSD and 64GB of ram so it should not have been crashing. My cpu usage which I monitored showed on average less than 10% etc and only on a few cores at that. So it was not a resource issue. I kept waiting for version 2019 and it just seems like it was never coming so I decided to just suck it up and do some spring cleaning as my computer was booting slower than it used to and I know with Windows that helps to clean house occasionally and Mac is no different really.

I think at this point I can call this fixed. I appreciate your time to reply. Peter
Old 04-07-2019, 01:24 PM

Ah I should have been more confident The clue was when I saw you had indeed recreated all the IO paths as mono... there just is not much more left. The logic flow in the code to select an I/O is pretty simple and hard to get wrong (and really removed from the actual I/O and driver... AFAIK it just looks at the IO path names).

Thank for the info on Mojave, you may have had some particularly problematic plugins on top of all the other stuff going on.