Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 10-30-2017, 02:54 AM

Default Error when Dock is switched on before windows boots

I have a Dock attached to a S3.

When the Dock is switched on before windows started, it cannot be connected, there's a error message. I have to disconnect the dock from power supply cable (simple switch off does not help) and reconnect.

On the other hand, when the S3 is off during boot, there's the same problem vice versa.

So when I beginn to work I need to check if S3 is switched on and Dock is switched off, then start windows, then switch on Dock. Much too complicated.

This error occurs on my 3rd system, so it's not due to my installation I guess. Can this be solved? I'd would like to switch on everything with a single external power botton, since this tiny switch on Docks back side is hard to find.
MTRX Studio, HDnative, RME UFX, Yamaha 01v96i, S3, S1, PT Dock, Nuendo 12
Old 10-30-2017, 06:26 PM
Avid

Default Re: Error when Dock is switched on before windows boots

How do you have the Dock connected..is it via the S3 ?
Old 10-31-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domilik View Post
I have a Dock attached to a S3.

When the Dock is switched on before windows started, it cannot be connected, there's a error message. I have to disconnect the dock from power supply cable (simple switch off does not help) and reconnect.

On the other hand, when the S3 is off during boot, there's the same problem vice versa.

So when I beginn to work I need to check if S3 is switched on and Dock is switched off, then start windows, then switch on Dock. Much too complicated.

This error occurs on my 3rd system, so it's not due to my installation I guess. Can this be solved? I'd would like to switch on everything with a single external power botton, since this tiny switch on Docks back side is hard to find.
I'm on windows too...

do you have the S3 connected to the dock somehow? I have my dock and a s3 completely separated. Each uses it's own power brick and each network cable is independently connected to a small 5 port switch. I have no issues with this setup and I can power them off and on at will. EuControl just "finds" them. -- you may want to try that...

** UPDATE ** I just read the setup guide for the dock.. I guess you can connect the 2 using the other Ethernet port... make sure the Dock is in port B. Port A should be going to a network switch or your PC.

Page 6
http://connect.euphonix.com/document...ck%20Guide.pdf

Last edited by Anthony_Anz; 10-31-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Anz View Post
** UPDATE ** I just read the setup guide for the dock.. I guess you can connect the 2 using the other Ethernet port... make sure the Dock is in port B. Port A should be going to a network switch or your PC.
Thanks for your replies, and yes, I have connected the dock to Port B on S3, and Port A is connected to network.
So this way maybe just does not work on PC? Should I use independent CAT cables to network switch? I have my network switch 20meters away next door, so this would be a quite laborious modification just for a try...
Old 11-01-2017, 08:46 AM
Avid

The S3 has a network switch inside so if running through the S3 the connection to the Dock won't become live for a few seconds until boots. This could be causing the Dock to be missed by Apple Bonjour(used by EUCON for discovering modules). To test this theory switch everything on and then leave for 5 mins....does the Dock eventually appear ?
Old 11-03-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
The S3 has a network switch inside so if running through the S3 the connection to the Dock won't become live for a few seconds until boots. This could be causing the Dock to be missed by Apple Bonjour(used by EUCON for discovering modules). To test this theory switch everything on and then leave for 5 mins....does the Dock eventually appear ?
Tried that, without success.

It's not that the dock does not "appear", it's a error message coming up every time:
Network error - Unable to connect to the unit named "PT Dock" ...

After that I need to unplug the power cable of Dock and reconnect. Switching off/on does not help.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Tried that, without success.

It's not that the dock does not "appear", it's a error message coming up every time:
Network error - Unable to connect to the unit named "PT Dock" ...

After that I need to unplug the power cable of Dock and reconnect. Switching off/on does not help.
Ok, I just tested this here. Mine works so at least we know, in theory, it should work. A couple of questions...

1) does the dock work on its own with no S3? (Pugged direclty into the switch?

2) can you test the dock /S3 functionality with a small switch in the room with your dock and S3? Plug each into its own port on the switch...

Just trying to narrow thngs down....
Old 11-03-2017, 09:06 AM
Avid

I wonder if this has to do with IP addressing. Can you tell me the IP address of the network adapter you are using on the Mac to connect to EUCON ?
Does it start with 169.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x ?
Old 11-04-2017, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Anz View Post
1) does the dock work on its own with no S3? Pugged direclty into the switch?
Thanks guys for your help!

I tested the dock directly connected to network (without S3), there were no problems! So there must be an issue with the network switch inside S3?

I don't know where to find the IP adress of my network switch(?), the switch does not appear in device manager. What I do see is the network adapter, but where to find the IP? My - also connected - fritzbox modem has IP 192....
Old 11-04-2017, 08:04 AM
Avid

Quote:
I tested the dock directly connected to network (without S3), there were no problems! So there must be an issue with the network switch inside S3?
I don't think so, maybe it's not booted up by the time EuControl requests what surfaces are there. Have you tried reversing the 2 Ethernet connectors on the back ?

Quote:
I don't know where to find the IP adress of my network switch(?), the switch does not appear in device manager. What I do see is the network adapter, but where to find the IP? My - also connected - fritzbox modem has IP 192....
To get the IP address you need to right-click the network adapter and select status I think. the other thing you could do is open a CMD promt and type ipconfig in and post the results here.