Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-12-2017, 07:59 AM

Default New to Apple

Hi guys I am getting my first Macbook pro tomorrow,but I am a windows guy so this is the first apple I`ll have.
Can you please tell some basic things i need to know before I start installing Pro tools.
Any help will do cause i am a newbe with Apple.
Thanks in advance
Peace

https://soundcloud.com/charlesmuscat

MacBook Pro Late 2016
Intel I7 Quod Core 2.8 GHZ
16 GB Ram . 256 GB SSD
Catalina 10.15.2

Acer Nitro
Intel I7-6700-HQ
8 GB Ram 256 GB SSD x 2
Win 10 Home 64 bit
Motu 624 AVB , Komplete Audio 6
Pro Tools Native 2020.5 , Sonar Platinum Lifetime
Old 12-12-2017, 08:43 AM

Default Re: New to Apple

Just follow this.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t...Optimize-10-12

They're dead simple to use and maintain.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltastudio View Post
Hi guys I am getting my first Macbook pro tomorrow,but I am a windows guy so this is the first apple I`ll have.
Can you please tell some basic things i need to know before I start installing Pro tools.
Thanks in advance
Peace
Your new Mac will probably come with High Sierra on it which is the operating system and right now that isn't officially supported with PT12 according to Avid. That's caveat #1.

#2 caveat is all your plugins need to have aax64 support. PT does not, and never will, support the usage of vst or au format plugins without third arty support like using Blue Cat Patchwork to host your vst/au plugins.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Macs. I started with Windows (actually I go back to pre-Windows days), picked up on Macs along the way at work, and for the last few years have been Mac only here. I do keep a couple of old Winboxs around to play games on and for running Sony Soundforge/CD Architect when I need to. The Mac way takes a bit of getting used to

QAPLA!
Old 12-14-2017, 04:59 AM

Thanks guys I`ll watch all your advices.
By the way I`m not changing from win to apple, I just need both cause I do a lot of work in different studios and live performances,small stuff 32 track max.
Any other info is welcome.

Thanks again
Peace

https://soundcloud.com/charlesmuscat

MacBook Pro Late 2016
Intel I7 Quod Core 2.8 GHZ
16 GB Ram . 256 GB SSD
Catalina 10.15.2

Acer Nitro
Intel I7-6700-HQ
8 GB Ram 256 GB SSD x 2
Win 10 Home 64 bit
Motu 624 AVB , Komplete Audio 6
Pro Tools Native 2020.5 , Sonar Platinum Lifetime
Old 12-15-2017, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltastudio View Post
Thanks in advance
Peace
If you get a Macbook Pro of the latest generations you may not forget to get all the needed adapter/adapter cables to be able to connect your peripherals to it.

As you might know already all the latest Macbooks only come with USB-C ports and with not many of it. So you better get a high quality Thunderbolt or USB 3 hub with USB-C connection where you can connect all your older stuff to easily.

The audio interface on the other hand I would not connect to the hub. I would use an extra adapter cable USB-C-to-USB 3 (or whatever your interface connection will be) and connect it directly to another free USB-C port on your new Macbook.

Like mentioned by Drew already don´t forget to set up the OS optimizations for your dedicated version of macOS.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en367983

If your Macbook will be completely new it will come with macOS 10.13 High Sierra pre-installed like mentioned by mm already which you cannot change anymore unfortunately.
Anyway, if you do set up everything else correctly the latest version of PT12.8 should work under normal circumstances, even if it´s not officially supported yet.

You just cannot expect official support by Avid if there should occur any serious problems as long as it´s not officially supported which will come soon probably though.

Finally do avoid to have too much other stuff installed on your Macbook and do not use it for too extensive web surfing as well as do not install any additional security software on it. I think then you will be happy with it.
I changed my music recording system from Windows/PC to Mac about seven years ago and I have never looked back. For music recording/production I definitely prefer Mac over Windows/PC. That´s my personal opinion though.

The best of success to you.

Cheers.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:33 AM

P.S.: I forgot to mention if the internal Flash Drive of your new Macbook will be 512GB or even larger it should be no problem to record everything to this internal drive if you are going for not more than 32 tracks and not a larger amount of VIs.

If however your internal is only 256GB or even smaller you better use a fast enough external for your Pro Tools recordings. This can be a 7200rpm HDD with Firewire/USB 3/Thunderbolt connection at the minimum (no 5400rpm drives, no USB 2)
or, even better, an external SSD with USB 3 or Thunderbolt connection.

In such a case you may keep any samples for your VIs (if you´ve got not really large libraries) on your internal drive and put all your Pro Tools recordings on the external. If you only have a smaller internal Flash Drive this will be the more
stable recording system and provide you a decent Pro Tools performance at the end of the day.

There are some really small yet fast little external SSDs available today which makes it easy to use them even on the go.
If money should be an issue the most affordable solution will be to buy a Samsung 850 Evo and to put it into an external USB 3 enclosure.

Cheers.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:19 AM

Don't bother with any external drives, get a bigger internal drive and keep it all on that drive. No external drives will be as fast as the new Macbook Pro drives.

It will feel extremely fast and when I am outside the studio i only use my brand new MBP 2017 for everything and we have 100-150 tracks with many Virtual Instruments and plugins and its lightning fast. Insane ...

Edit/ if you already got the MBP (as you said the 13th) what size hard drive did you get and please tell us you got the 16GB option?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-15-2017, 05:27 AM

Don't worry about High Sierra.

You can just downgrade the MBP to Sierra as that's what they originally shipped with. You'll just need to obtain a copy of it either from Apple or a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2017, 10:34 AM

I actually got a new MPB from the apple store last week & it still shipped with Sierra I was pleased to find, so you may be in luck.

saying that , AVID have to support High Sierra soonish surely?

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 12-15-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Don't worry about High Sierra.

You can just downgrade the MBP to Sierra as that's what they originally shipped with. You'll just need to obtain a copy of it either from Apple or a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This all depends on what was on the machine when it left China. If High Sierra then that's what you're most likely stuck with.

QAPLA!