Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 10-02-2018, 06:48 AM

Default What is everybody with PT12 using for a Midi Keyboard Controller?

Hi,

When I first started with Pro Tools, I purchased a Rack 11 and an iMac. My interface at the time an RME with firewire. At the time, M-Audio touted their Hyper-Control feature that claimed instant recognition between their Axiom Pro keyboards and Pro Tools. At first, this sounded like a good idea, but it seemed sort of random. Yes, many VI controls were mapped to controls on the Axiom Pro, but not necessarily in a useful way. For me. Anyway, I ended up depending on the computer keyboard and mouse more than the Axiom. It has a fine keybed, and I even upgraded to a 61 from my 49, and still love the feel and the layout of the pads and expression wheels. However, since AAX became the new plug-in standard, Hypercontrol no longer operated. I didn't much care for it, so RIP I suppose.

So I assume many of you are in the same boat as me. I want to get a new keyboard controller, but I would like to know what everyone else is using and if you have a few moments, the reason you like it. If you have abandoned straight midi keyboards and instead use a synth as your keyboard controller, please tell me which and again, what you like or dislike about it. I am open to all suggestions and value everyone's opinion.

My current system is an iMac (2015, 32 GB i7), Universal Audio Apollo 8, Rack 11, Axe-FX II, Axiom Pro 61, Korg M3.

thank you
Fred
Old 10-02-2018, 07:29 AM

Default Re: What is everybody with PT12 using for a Midi Keyboard Controller?

Not that I really write much music these days, but my ‘controller’ is the same one I’ve used for near on 20 years. Kawai K5000S.

It’s an interesting additive synth. Not easy to program, but can make very interesting sounds. These days, the world is your oyster with the plethora of soft synths.

If you’re looking for the perfect controller, you won’t find it. You just have to MIDI learn the parameters you want to control.

The closest to one to one mapping would be Omnisphere with one of the supported synths with v2.5. But then, that only works with Omnisphere.

The next best thing would be getting an NI Kontrol keyboard and immersing yourself within their ecosystem. The mapping seems great and more 3rd party companies are coming on board.

But yeah, aside from that, I don’t really see a one size fits all controller that just integrates seamlessly with everything. That’s the problem with software - very flexible but you lose that one to one control of everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2018, 07:49 AM

using the same - Maudio axiom pro49, been several years and I am happy with it. Hypercontrol did seem like a nice step inbetween a mouse and an Icon desk but yeah it didn't pan out.

One thing I am doing differently is using a MOTU Fastlane....really big difference than using the standard USB into your computer (which i did for years).

there is such a thing as usb>midi latency and with the fastlane it' is significantly reduced almost non-existant.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:37 AM

Kawaii VPC-1 for realistic piano touch. My clients and I LOVE this keyboard controller. It is pricey, but worth every penny. No knobs or buttons. It is primarily just a great controller for realistic piano feel.

I also own an older KeyLab 61. Very disappointed by that keyboard. The touch of the keys is horrendous and the velocity response on the pads and keys never felt good no matter how much I tweaked the velocity curves. However, the sliders, knobs and Mod/pitch bend wheel are nice on this keyboard.

Akai MPK mini - I purchased this because it came with Hybrid for a good price. I actually really like this keyboard as a mini one on my desk. Pads feel great. Keys are okay and the knobs are cheap, but usable. I only wish it had a pitch bend instead of the joystick.

My next keyboard I would love to give a shot is the Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2. If you use a lot of Komplete (which I do), then I could see this being a great keyboard to access controls quickly.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 10-02-2018, 09:01 AM

After my Keystation 49 died I had to find a replacement asap with the resources I had at the moment so I bought an Akai MPKmini. I still have it and it works fine, it has 8 drum pads, 8 rotary knobs and since I'm mostly a guitarist 2 octaves are enough 50% of the time...
BUT
the modulation and pitch bend are conjoined in a single lever that works like an X/Y pad and that's a mess. Also, the config software is hard to use and Akai offers almost no tutorials, etc.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:21 AM

Recently upgraded from an original DX7, which still works well, to an M-Audio Keystation 88es. I wanted weighted keys. Plus, it was a pain constantly manipulating transposition to use the default keyswitches in eastwest Play. Much happier now.

Trying to persuade myself to sell the DX7, which I had used since 1994, and which had belonged to a great Nashville jingle house for the decade prior. Sentimental value. But I don't really see myself using it again. FM is a much prettier from any ol' VI.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 10-02-2018, 01:28 PM

I still have my M-Audio Keystation 49e...

https://linktr.ee/sergius128
Old 10-02-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
If you’re looking for the perfect controller, you won’t find it. You just have to MIDI learn the parameters you want to control.

The closest to one to one mapping would be Omnisphere with one of the supported synths with v2.5. But then, that only works with Omnisphere.

The next best thing would be getting an NI Kontrol keyboard and immersing yourself within their ecosystem. The mapping seems great and more 3rd party companies are coming on board.
Thanks Sardi.
I agree, there is not perfect controller. I am totally happy picking the parameters I want to control and assigning the key I want to do it. But I need to be able to switch quickly and reliably between different instruments. I think the Axiom was designed with HyperLink in mind and struggles with the current condition. I never was comfortable with the dinky display, so I don't relish looking at it. (To the point where I have a blue piece of tape pointing to the "Edit" button so I know where I can access some of the global settings".

Funny you should mention Ominisphere 2.5. I didn't want this thread to degenerate (or generate) into one about that Beta, but I do have it. I'm finding the learning curve a little steep and would relish a separate synth that could take advantage of the new feature to control Omni from one of the supported synths. It's a possibility. I just ordered a Berhinger Model D because the price was so ridiculous and because the SoundOnSound review of it was so positive. But neither that (nor the Moog D that it copies) are on the supported hardware list.

You mention NI's new keyboard. I hear it is nice, but that it doesn't work well with non-Komplete Pro Tools 12 VIs. That may be just expectation not being met, but I would have to do some more research. It lacks pads (not the end of the world) but also seems to lack a lot of convenient controller items, like sliders and I wonder if those rotary knobs emit user-accessible CC codes or not? More research on my part.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply Sardi!

Fred
Old 10-02-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
using the same - Maudio axiom pro49, been several years and I am happy with it. Hypercontrol did seem like a nice step inbetween a mouse and an Icon desk but yeah it didn't pan out.

One thing I am doing differently is using a MOTU Fastlane....really big difference than using the standard USB into your computer (which i did for years).

there is such a thing as usb>midi latency and with the fastlane it' is significantly reduced almost non-existant.
When I had the RME and firewire, the latency was an issue with audio, but I didn't notice any midi latency at the time. Now that I am getting an external synth (Berhinger Mod D) and also have a Korg M3 and the current midi-keyboard I'm trying to replace, I've been thinking about the Motu midi express USB and how that just simplifies things where you can punch in who talks to who, without going to work at it overtime in Pro Tools.

thanks for your thoughts!
Old 10-02-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Kawaii VPC-1 for realistic piano touch. My clients and I LOVE this keyboard controller. It is pricey, but worth every penny. No knobs or buttons. It is primarily just a great controller for realistic piano feel.

I also own an older KeyLab 61. Very disappointed by that keyboard. The touch of the keys is horrendous and the velocity response on the pads and keys never felt good no matter how much I tweaked the velocity curves. However, the sliders, knobs and Mod/pitch bend wheel are nice on this keyboard.

Akai MPK mini - I purchased this because it came with Hybrid for a good price. I actually really like this keyboard as a mini one on my desk. Pads feel great. Keys are okay and the knobs are cheap, but usable. I only wish it had a pitch bend instead of the joystick.

My next keyboard I would love to give a shot is the Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2. If you use a lot of Komplete (which I do), then I could see this being a great keyboard to access controls quickly.
Thanks Dizzi, I don't know if you've played the Korg M3-88, but it has a very nice piano touch in my novice opinion. Not too hard, not too soft. I has pads to, so I suppose I don't need pads, but something like the Kawai would probably be redundant in my case (already have a nice keybed). I have a Kawai upright piano upstairs. So out of tune, but still a joy to play.

Fred