Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2016, 06:08 AM

Default Oldschool 13-slot expansion chassis versions?

Alright, I'm running a Mix|24 rig on a PowerMac 9600. Stop laughing

There were two versions of the 13-slot chassis (and maybe the 7-slot one too?). I'm talking the Digidesign-branded Magma chassis with the oldschool yellow Pro Tools logo on it. According to some old posts I've seen here, as well as some Digidesign documentation, ones with serial numbers lower than NB0600100C won't work on a B&W G3/G4. Ones with serial numbers below NB0600100C work fine on a 9600 though.

I've also read that ones with serial numbers above NB0600100C aren't officially supported for use in a 9600 but that some have gotten them working (at least the 7-slot versions). I'm wondering if 13-slot ones with serial numbers higher than NB0600100C will work in a 9600. It may not be 'supported', but it may work.

I also notice that those 13-slotters sometimes have two different-sized connectors on the PCI cards, as well as the cable to connect it. They have the PCIHIF68 cards with a shorter SCSI-looking connector, and ones that say PCI 2.1 on them with longer SCSI-looking connectors. Not sure which one I'll need.

It's proving difficult to find one with a serial number below NB0600100C so I may just have to bite the bullet, buy a newer one and hope for the best.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:22 AM

Default Re: Oldschool 13-slot expansion chassis versions?

I wouldn't hold my breath, but if the chassis is dirt cheap then why not trying?
Old 01-03-2016, 07:37 AM

Yep, I might have to. It's hard to come by one with both cards and the cable. Even harder to find a complete oldschool one with the lower serial. I've got a couple options lined up, both with higher serials so we'll see what happens. Hoping someone swoops in with what I need before I take the plunge.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:41 PM

Pretty sure the newer version is backwards compatible with PCI beige macs, so you're fine if you have a 9600.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:57 AM

After a little more research, the older version has serial number NB05 and below with 80pin connectors that use a flat ribbon cable for connectivity, and the newer ones with NB06 and higher use 68pin connectors and a round cable for connectivity.

The Digidesign expanded systems compatibility documentation says that only serial numbers NB05 and below work on a 9600, however as mentioned people have gotten the newer 7 slot versions working. I'm just unsure of the newer 13 slotters.

Hopefully someone has one of these NB05 tanks laying around and sees this thread
Old 01-04-2016, 02:45 PM

Out of curiosity, why use a 9600 if you are going with a chassis? The only advantage of the 9600 was the 6 pci slots. I guess if it were me, I would buy the newer chassis, and if it doesn't work find a G4 to replace the 9600. Someone will probably give you one for the cost of shipping.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?