Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2010, 01:05 PM

Default Mackie MCU Pro issues

I've not made a full commitment to PT yet. I come from a Cubase background. I have no gripes against Cubase, but I decided to step into PT land and discover why so many studios are using this software.
I bought a simple MBox 2 mini. I have a rack mount computer with sliding harddrives so I'm able to keep things fairly clean. Installation was quite difficult as I searched for an operating system that workd with my hardware and with PT. I finally landed on Win 7 32. XP proved gltichy and Vista was a complete no-go. Win 7 64 had the robotic whine many have reported.

I've decided that if PT and I get along, I'll ditch the MBox 2 mini and get an 003.

So my first question is whether an MCU Pro controller will work with Pro Tools? I've set it up in the peripherals and added it as a HUI controller. I've placed the MCU Pro in HUI mode. However, none of the faders work, nothing shows on the scribble strips. The transport controls DO work - so communication is happening. Could this be a Win 7 thing, or does PT just not like Mackie controllers? Maybe I need to set things up differently?

Thanks for the help.

-Rich
Old 02-15-2010, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Mackie MCU Pro issues

I edited the title for clarity. Don't mean to bump my own thread, but I can't seem to find much help on this topic. The forum has quite a few threads of people struggling to get the MCU Pro working. I just can't seem to find anyone who has a working setup on a PC running PT 8.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Rich
Old 02-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Avid

Can you tell us exactly how you have it connected and how it's configured in Setups>Peripherals>MIDI Controllers?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Can you tell us exactly how you have it connected and how it's configured in Setups>Peripherals>MIDI Controllers?
The Main MCU Pro is connected to the computer via usb into a dedicated port (not a hub). The two extenders are connected to the MCU Pro via standard midi cables.
Pro Tools recognizes the midi inputs (in this case PT sees the MCU Pro along with 3 other midi devices-representing the total midi connectivity of the main MCU Pro unit).
Within Setups>Peripherals>Midi Controllers I've chosen the HUI protocol and then the appropriate midi in and out. Specifically, Midi in>Mcu PRO and Midi out>MCU Pro.
The controller units themselves have all been activated in HUI mode.

I've observed the following: Transport controls work as well as many of the other buttons. Pan works and the HW faders will move the PT mixer faders but upon release, the hardware faders slide all the way down. The onscreen faders do not move upon release.
Also, there is no visual feedback on the MCU Pro at all. No lights on any of the buttons. The pan light is on and centered on the continuous controller but does not move when the controller is turned (though the pan position does change in PT).Obviously PT is receiving info from the controller but the controller is not receiveing info from PT. I've tried different configuations in the midi controller setup (changing around in case I chose the wrong input/output) but no luck.
Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Rich
Old 02-17-2010, 01:56 PM

Hi DigiTechSupt,

Do you need any further info from me?

-Rich
Old 02-17-2010, 03:15 PM

You do know that Win 7 is still in "Public Beta" status, right? The stable platform still seems to be 32-bit XP. I wouldn't make any decisions based on Win 7 when it hasn't been sorted out yet.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
You do know that Win 7 is still in "Public Beta" status, right? The stable platform still seems to be 32-bit XP. I wouldn't make any decisions based on Win 7 when it hasn't been sorted out yet.
Yes, I do understand that. However, Digitechsupt was kind enough to make inquiry about my setup and I repsonded. I don't mean to bump my own thread but I'm hopeful there may be some resolution here. If the threads here are any indication, there are a number of MCU Pro users having issues similar to mine. Some of these users are on Win XP. Nevertheless, I understand that the cause of their issues may be different than mine and that mine may be totally related to the OS I'm using. I've not posted a Sandra Report since a request has not been made. I'm hoping that Digi may have a solution (or workaround) or, at a minimum, a confirmation that the setup I now have will not work with PT 8.03.

-Rich
Old 02-18-2010, 09:24 AM

Ok. My last bump.

-Rich
Old 12-23-2010, 12:42 PM

same issue here
Old 01-02-2011, 11:49 AM

Exclamation Re: Mackie MCU Pro issues

Having exactly same issues with MCU pro and pro tools 9 on Windows 7. No lights. Faders operate pro tools sliders but immediately return to 0. Buttons, transport - all operates PT9 but no corresponding lights on MCU Pro.

I also have an iPad and bought AC-7 Core (Siatara Software) with the same results - the iPad controls operate the PT9 perfectly, but there is no feedback from PT9 to the iPad so the lights don't operate there either.

Did DigiTech suggest to run 32 bit OS as solution?