Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-05-2008, 07:11 PM

Default sonic no noise workflow question

Please oh please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that broadband portion of this $1,500 plug is somewhat useless in terms of an automated workflow.
The audiosuite portion seems to only analyze, howeve the TDM version on the AUX track that is actually doing the work doesn't automate the noise profiles. I don't understand...how can one use this in a mix if it can't remember the noise profiles? Waves X-noise has the same problem, but at least a workaround is to just process the file in audiosuite. I don't see how that is possible in this case.

Please advise.
Thanks,

www.tompaul.com
Old 07-05-2008, 07:22 PM

Default Re: sonic no noise workflow question

Hi Tom,

yup, that's it.

I work with the audiosuite window to get all the boxes (whatever they are called) set, then paste that into the Plugin.

Then I will either print the NR process (creating a playlist with the original audio) and slide it back, or, I will slide it back and leave it on (with the ADC for that track OFF) until I am done with the mix. I will set up several "profiles" on different tracks.

For some cases, nothing works better and I have tried them all (on a MAC). In some cases, other things work better.

i would be OVER-THE-MOON happy if DIGI updated this plug and made it more functional. It is still my favorite.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 07-05-2008, 07:34 PM

wow. a non-automated tdm plug in. gotcha. thanks. I am familiar with the workflow you describe. it is similar to how I use my dolby 430 and my LaFont cinema filter set outboard boxes.
cheers.

www.tompaul.com
Old 07-05-2008, 07:34 PM

wow. a non-automated tdm plug in. gotcha. thanks. I am familiar with the workflow you describe. it is similar to how I use my dolby 430 and my LaFont cinema filter set outboard boxes.
cheers.

www.tompaul.com
Old 07-05-2008, 07:37 PM

Well, it is not entirely un-automatable. ALL of the parameters -- threshold, attenuation, sharpness etc -- can be automated, but the "noise profile" cannot be changed.
Undertone on Facebook

-Starcrash
Old 07-07-2008, 07:52 PM

do you find that the noise profile of one sound works for another, then? if you can't change that, I don't see the automation being very useful.

do you ever just use it without a noise profile?

www.tompaul.com
Old 07-07-2008, 07:52 PM

do you find that the noise profile of one sound works for another, then? if you can't change that, I don't see the automation being very useful.

do you ever just use it without a noise profile?

www.tompaul.com
Old 07-08-2008, 05:32 AM

i find that the profiles are pretty versatile.

i worked on a doc that had two problems : car noise and refrigerator noise. a track for each one and, yes, changing the parameters was useful.

i work on a TV show with some pretty harsh kitchen and diner environments. most of the noise for a segment is the same. one for kitchen, one for the restaurant. and, yes, having the ability to automate the parameters is helpful.

in these cases, i mix with the plug-in active on the track and keep working it until i am ready (or the producer is banging on the door) to print.

you have to understand the plug to know about how much the parameter changes affect the sound. i am sure as an experienced mixer know that in the general sense before you know what each parameter does. so, no, in that way, it is not like your LaFont notches and Dolby Box.

i never work without a noise profile.

otherwise, i pull up the AS, paste it into the TDM, work the audio, print it and done.

no, i am not thrilled with the workflow. yes, i wish Digi, who bought (i think) would upgrade it!! i mean, it is pretty much 90's technology. at the time it came out, it was the best before a Cedar, and certainly cheaper. so i am glad i got it.

there are many options now. most of them pretty good. i have the WA, the SONY (now discontinued), and the Izotope. all work. but not on everything. i am glad i still have NoNoise!!

by the way, i did do some comparisons with a Cedar -- some things the Cedar was better at, some things the NoNoise was better at.
Undertone on Facebook

-Starcrash