Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-18-2001, 06:13 PM

Default Pops and Clicks

Hey,

I'm getting pops and clicks when I record in Pro Tools LE. I'm using a Glyph Firewire drive for storage. I already tried to make the buffer size larger (it's at 1024). Does anyone have any suggestions at what else I could try?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-20-2001, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Pops and Clicks

Do the clicks occur when recording audio? I have had similar problems that seem to occur randomly. I have tried different players with the same equipment and have found that some develop pops and others don't. If a quitar/bass has piezo pickups this sometimes creates problems for me. I am leaning to the player causing the problem rather than the 001/LE. But I haven't reached any firm conclusions. I have read of someone having a problem, who changed out the 001 with a different one and the problem was resolved. Good luck and make sure you post your conclusions.
Keith
Old 10-20-2001, 08:38 AM

Hey,

I usually don't get it while I'm recording, but more when I play back the audio from my Firewire drive (that's where I storeall my audio).
Old 10-20-2001, 02:39 PM

Matt,
My machine boots with Seti@Home running. I tuen it off when using PT. Sometimes I forget to turn it off, and then I get clicks.

Is anything burning up CPU cycles on your box?

Mark
Old 10-21-2001, 08:57 AM

I was running some CD burning software, and antivirus, but i disabled all that and I still got the pops and clicks.

Do you think it could be memory? I'm running on 256. I mention memory because the pops and clicks seem to get worse the more times I play the track.
Old 10-21-2001, 04:41 PM

I had this when I was running PT free... I switched off CD insert notification and enabled DMA and it was fine..... It could also be something with the video driver.... try using less colours
Old 06-04-2003, 03:09 PM

I have the same problem. Anything else to suggest?
Old 06-05-2003, 07:56 AM

Be sure that DMA is enabled for all drives and that there are no other applications running while you're using PT. Check out the Digi Compatibility section for basic setup tips, and the top post on this forum (New DUC FAQ...) question number 14 for more optimizations.

You didn't mention your source, but if you're recording from an optical or S/PDIF source, make sure Setups/Hardware/Sync is set right. You'll get clicks and pops if it's set wrong, and you won't always hear them while recording.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:31 AM
Avid

Hello,

Try setting your Sync Mode in the Session Setup window to internal. Also, when recording in from a digital source you want to set the Sync Mode to S/PDIF, etc. while tracking, then set it back to internal when your done. Are the clicks always in the same location in the files? If so, then they were recorded that way. If the click are random then it could be a drive related issue or a clocking problem on playback. If the problem persists, try doing a "Save Session Copy In" to your internal drive copying all audio files. Then remove the Firewire drive from the system and open the session from your internal drive. If the clicks are gone then you will probably want to backup your firewire drive and reinitialize it.

Mike
Old 06-05-2003, 11:31 AM

I had a similar problem with my Mbox. I could get a good, clear signal when recording, but when I played it back there was a ton of crackles and pops. I read on here somewhere that someone had success with ths problem by changing his USB connection on computer. I originally had my MBOX hooked up to one of my USBs on the rear of my computer, closer to motherboard, I then hooked it up to a USB hub I have hooked up to one of my front USB ports...this seemed to solve the problem. I haven't heard a crackle since...very relieved!

I also installed the windows service pack 1 on my system. I saw on here a DIgidesign Tech. Support guy recommended to do so.

Good Luck

P-4 1.7 gig
768 megs ram