Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2014, 03:37 PM

Default Help! Selecting Input device in pro tools 11

I just downloaded the trial version of pro tools 11 while waiting for my copy to be delivered, upgrading from pro tools express. I am using my M audio M-track plus as my pre amp. I go to "setup" and click hardware, launch the app, and go to my M-track to enable audio input/output and deselect my laptops built in speakers, and mic (which protools wants to use by default. but when i create a new track and go to input, my m-track isnt showing up. without this i cant record anything. My ultimate question is, how do i set this up to record using my M-track? or is my preface even compatible with protools 11? Also i am using Mac OSX. please help.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Help! Selecting Input device in pro tools 11

Did you install suitable drivers for the interface? Does it show up under Setup>Playback engine in Pro Tools?

When you say thing like "launch app" what the hell app are you talking about? We cannot guess. You need to describe thigns so we can follow what you are doing.

Any more problems start at the "Help us help you, READ THIS BEFORE POSTING " link above on this and every other DUC page and describe clearly your system as asked for there.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:16 PM

sorry for any vagueness guys. here is a detailed description of my problem. when i go to setup>hardware there is an option that says launch set up application (with a message above that says hardware controls for this peripheral are handled in its setup application), upon clicking the option my computers (macbook pro, running osx) "audio devices" page pops up with a list of audio options, including built in speakers, microphones, my M-track plus is on there, and most importantly the options for "Pro Tools 11 aggregate I/O" I click on this and there are check options for "built in speakers" "built in mic" and "m-track plus", i deselected the built in speakers and Microphone, and left only the M-track plus selected. also i right clicked on the option for the M-track plus and clicked "use this device for sound input" and "use this device for sound output". I then went back to the hardware option in pro tools and clicked "okay". Upon doing so a message appeared that said playback options have been changed, protools needs to be restarted. upon doing this i thought "aha! thats it!". so i restarted protools, empty session, new track, audio track, okay. click to enable the track recording and no sound output and not picking up my piano either. so Under the I/O option on the track i created i hovered over input and only the built in microphone on my computer showed up. My M-Track plus did not. My question is what am i doing wrong? I need to use the M-track as my input source and output source (i.e. my headphones are plugged into it.) I thought i knew how to select it for work but i obviously do not. Can somebody give me some guidance? Pro Tools seems to be recognizing the device, as the program will not open without the device plugged in, but the ultimate issue is that i cannot figure out how to select the device for use. Macintosh does not require drivers for use with the M-track plus from M-audio
Old 10-05-2014, 04:23 PM

Did you install suitable drivers for the interface? Does it show up under Setup>Playback engine in Pro Tools?

I can keep asking the same questions all day.

Playback engine, not hardware is where you select the interface Pro Tools is using. What is yours set to?

Stop screwing with aggregate IO, the interface itself needs to be selected in the playback engine settings in Pro Tools. All this is described in the documentation you should be reading.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:24 PM

Hold down 'N' while ProTools is booting and you should get a selection for your interface. Also, if you get back to the window you're currently looking at, DO NOT select aggregate device, but select your interface.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:30 PM

Try going to Pro Tools>Setup>I/O Setup and click default button on input & output tabs.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 10-05-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

I can keep asking the same questions all day.

Playback engine, not hardware is where you select the interface Pro Tools is using. What is yours set to?

Stop screwing with aggregate IO, the interface itself needs to be selected in the playback engine settings in Pro Tools. All this is described in the documentation you should be reading.
I clearly stated in my last post that i am using a mac, and mac has NO drivers for the M-track interface, because it doesn't need them. If you need confirmation look it up. The M-track plus IS selected in the playback engine selection in "setup".
Old 10-05-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Try going to Pro Tools>Setup>I/O Setup and click default button on input & output tabs.
Tried That. I'm guessing that, when under the I/O portion of the track i create, under "input" i should be seeing my M-Track. however its not there, and only the built in speakers and Mic are there.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
... but only once he selects the correct playback engine inside Pro Tools.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:01 PM

/\/\ YES indeed /\/\

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O