Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 10-29-2010, 07:05 AM

Default Command 24 VS Control 24

All

I'm ready to move my project studio up a bit to a sexier control surface. I currently use a 002. I have been talking to Sweetwater about going to either a 003 or make the big jump to a C/24. Keep in mind that my goal is to eventially move into a HD system/environement vs LE. Also I'm simply using my studio to track and mix down demo material for Midwest 7-9 piece 60-70's R&B bands.

While researching I see that there are a fair number of older Control 24 surfaces available. So here's my question(s).

Why would I spend the extra dollars if a Control 24 would do the job?
What issues should I be aware of?
Is there anything with a Control 24 that will keep me from obtaining my HD goal?
Are the Focusrite Pre's as good as they say?
Were there not inherent issues with power supplies?
Is there a vintage or pre/post serial number I should avoid?

Lot's of questions. I'm sure that there a number of Control 24 users that have some great advise.

Thx

Nick
Old 10-29-2010, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Command 24 VS Control 24

What is a Command 24?

Why would I spend the extra dollars if a Control 24 would do the job? The C24 is the newer version of the Control24. Both offer a lot of the same functionality, but the older Control24 has had some problems.
What issues should I be aware of? Power supply and just plain age
Is there anything with a Control 24 that will keep me from obtaining my HD goal? Not really, both C24 and Control24 are compatible with either LE or HD.
Are the Focusrite Pre's as good as they say? Actually, they are as BAD as they say. Nobody really uses them, except for talkback, or someone on a really tight budget.
Were there not inherent issues with power supplies? Yes
Is there a vintage or pre/post serial number I should avoid? ???

The money spent on a Control 24(with fairly useless preamps) makes it an expensive controller(IMHO), but it really is a decent controller. The newer C24 does most everything, plus its newer mic preamps are more useful(again, just an opinion). Either way, you will want at least 1 really good "money" preamp. I would wait till AES comes and goes, just in case they pop something new. And take a look at this:
http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/nucleus/

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-03-2010, 08:49 AM

Once the Control 24's Power supply has been replaced they are rock solid. Mine ran fine for years! As for the mic Pre's they are nice to have available. Would they be the only ones to use , no, but they are good to have around . I have recorded some decent things with them.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Melander View Post
All

I'm ready to move my project studio up a bit to a sexier control surface. I currently use a 002. I have been talking to Sweetwater about going to either a 003 or make the big jump to a C/24. Keep in mind that my goal is to eventially move into a HD system/environement vs LE. Also I'm simply using my studio to track and mix down demo material for Midwest 7-9 piece 60-70's R&B bands.

While researching I see that there are a fair number of older Control 24 surfaces available. So here's my question(s).

Why would I spend the extra dollars if a Control 24 would do the job?
What issues should I be aware of?
Is there anything with a Control 24 that will keep me from obtaining my HD goal?
Are the Focusrite Pre's as good as they say?
Were there not inherent issues with power supplies?
Is there a vintage or pre/post serial number I should avoid?

Lot's of questions. I'm sure that there a number of Control 24 users that have some great advise.

Thx

Nick
I think the Control 24 is great and is certainly a viable control surface, comparable in functionality to the C|24.

The main issue you should consider IMHO--and probably a reason to hold off until the PT9 dust clears--is whether or not the Control 24 works under PT9. I'm guessing it does, but it's unlikely to be officially supported. The C|24 is presumably more "future proof"...but of course it's also more costly (you can pick up used Control 24s for as little as $3K, whereas I think the C|24 is like $12K new).

Personally I'm not a big fan of the pres on the Control 24. I think the C|24s are better, but I doubt you'd use them much if you have other boutique pre options available.